‘Plenty of life left in frets’???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by filtersweep, Aug 8, 2018.

1. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

It means exactly the same as when a used car salesman says "this car will go another 100,000 miles".

filtersweep likes this.
  2. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, but if you made the trip you’d at least know what you’re getting and you skip the whole shipping damage scenario.
    100% of the nightmare deal gone bad threads we get here are some combination of sight-unseen/dealing with strangers/not as advertised/shipping damage stories.
    All totally avoidable in person, guitar in hand.
    I drove from SF to Scottsdale Arizona last time I spent that kind of cash to make sure I got what I paid for.

I get the whole convenience and variety aspect of shopping online, but the relative condition of the frets is the least of your problems if you send a total stranger 3k and tell him to get somebody to put in a box.

FlyingVBlues, Baxtercat and jcs like this.
  3. jcs

jcs Member

TO ME, it means i would always consider a re-fret as part of the buying equation.

This way, if you have a preferred fret type and height with a re-fret, you can basically start out with the guitar as new and your preferred fret setup.

4. jcs

jcs Member

AND, lets face it....guitars are resonant instruments, if the guitar doesnt ring out (keeping in mind strings and setup apply here) its not one i would want usually.

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

You guys still toying around with nickel frets?

lowyaw likes this.
  6. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

There's a reason you're not paying full price. Because it's used.

7. hoffmanj

hoffmanj Silver Supporting Member

It means "if I showed you pics of the frets you'd think it needs a refret."

8. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

IME, it tends to mean very slight pitting at most. Not bothersome to the avg player, a real picky person might notice it.

As a buyer, the only reason I ask is that I want an excuse to negotiate down on the price.

jcs likes this.
  9. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

You wouldn't have to worry about fret wear on a Suhr since most of 'em have stainless frets ;).

10. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

It means no where close to what I've let mine get to "please let me squeeze one more level/recrown in"

11. jcs

jcs Member

That picky person would be me....i'm 59 and osteo arthritis from years of labor wear and tear....i need fairly tall frets with easier action and i like 10's....maybe i should switch to 9's?

12. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Saying "there's plenty of life left in the frets" means absolutely nothing to me. It's like saying a guitar has a chunky neck, or that it's lightweight...without actual numbers to back up the claims, it doesn't really mean much, because those things are completely subjective.

13. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

It is 3K used- 5800 new.

But I fail to see how that is relevant. I’ll likely pass regardless, as it doesn’t sit well with me to pay that much for a guitar that I can’t play first. I merely included the price to add to the absurdity of describing a guitar in this way.

14. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

Right. Either it means this ^, or it means get in your car and go see the guitar and get your hands on it. Unless it's hundreds of miles away. Then it means you'll just have to risk it.

15. 98G2PRU

98G2PRU Member

I had 3 of my Gibsons refretted with stainless steel frets. I was tired of the soft fret wire that I had been seeing the past 10-15 years. Its funny though - I blew through frets on an R7, R0, J-185, and my old Strat in just a few years. Some of my other guitars are still sporting the original frets and show no wear at all. I put SS frets on the three Gibsons I mentioned earlier. The strings glide on SS frets way better. It makes bends unbelievably smooth.

16. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Usually when I have heard that the frets have been good with slight wear. If that is something that concerns you I would move on because you might or might not be happy with how the frets are.

17. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, who knows? I was just talking to the OP, he said it mattered but that doesn’t mean you can’t make up your own mind.

18. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

A seven hour drive. I’ll pass- probably, unless I go there for work. We have an office there.

I don’t trust photos. I saw a local guitar listed- with many beautiful close-up photos- owner was a photo hobbiest. Photos were incredible. In person, the guitar was not so beautiful, and the frets totally wavy. Unless you go out of your way to highlight problems, fret wear is difficult to photograph.

19. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I say it in every ad. I have no idea what it means, honestly.

Content.

20. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

Been leveled once