Plex or Lexan shield baffle for amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edward, Mar 3, 2008.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hey all,

I am thinking of trying this. Where do I get one? If custom made, where do I go to hunt this down? Or are there ready-made ones available? And about how much would it run (size is for a Mesa 112 wide-body combo).

Edward

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I made one myself and I hated it. It created this bizaarre flange/phase thing I couldn't deal with. I have seen the pre-made ones that are hinged in sections that may work better. I just had a piece of plexiglass in a frame sitting square in front of my amp.

3. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I took some pics of my homemade plexi baffle.I couldn't gig without it in most clubs.I had some cut 1x2 ft and some of the plastic hinges from a plastic supply house.It flods up in my gig case and has lasted as you see it for 3 years of gigging.The vv zig zag pattern infront of the speaker is key.[​IMG]
    Hinge detail-use soapy water for lube to slide them on-[​IMG]

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

5. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

That's what i used as a template cost- 25$.

6. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Pardon my ignorance but what's the purpose of those things?

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Keeps the moths away. ;)

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The reflection from the Lights in most clubs reflects back From the Plexiglass to the Audience,which makes them hear A better tone from the amp.:roll

9. edward

edward Supporting Member

Outstanding!!! Thanks, soldersucker (so with a screenname like that, do you build amps??). Superb suggestion and pics!

Curious though, if you don't mind giving me a hand on this: what does the zigzag in front of the speaker do? And how did you come to that solution? I would have a bit of space in front of the grill for the mic, but what you have pictured looks absolutely perfect for my needs.

Edward

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Lexan is a lot more money than plexi but is unbreakable. It's a bit harder to find if you don't live near an urban centre. Lexan is also harder to work with. I don't know a reason for not using plexi glass aside from lexan is clearer and doesn't yellow with age.

11. woof*

woof* Member

i bought my parts at home depot, lexan, two oak door thresholds and a few bolts and nuts..28$..works perfect. as stated above, i couldnt play my super in clubs without it. once you get used to the sound, it's fine. no matter ..its 100% better for me than using a tiny amp or trying to get tone out of just a pedal.

12. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the Fantastic replies:messedup

13. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

So how does the amp sound now that it is surrounded with plexiglass fence. Whats the purpose of this?? can you use screen in the summer, and can't the moth's just fly over the top of it?

14. mastertsr

mastertsr Member

Ever thought of Weber Beam Blockers? I've got them in 3 cabinets and they do a great job.:AOK

15. woof*

woof* Member

no, moths fear radio waves.. and will never fly over an amp, your main danger with them is from the front. screen doesn't work at all.

16. edward

edward Supporting Member

Oooh, more great suggestions, especially on the diff between Lex and Plex ...will try Home Depot (why didn't I think of that, doh!), thanks!

I have fabricated a type of beam blocker from plastic domes (attached to inside of the grills) and must say it works great. But that doesn't address the fact that I can't turn my amp down enough and not lose my tone. Not that I am really cranking it mind you ...just want to take off that "edge" of db-assault from the first couple of rows. Again, thanks for all the replies!

Edward

17. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm, Here's the deal. It allows you to run your amp at a higher volume without blowing people in the front's ears out. Helps keep a more even volume on stage.
    The down side for me, it creates an odd out of phase sound that I just cant get past.
    YMMV of course

Richard

18. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

yeah...I use windex on my plexiglass to get a more "transparent" tone...

19. Strat

Strat Member

Get tinted plexi- red is good for higher gain tones and greenish is good with voxes. Clear works best with fenders.

20. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

I wonder if theres a boutique market out there for this product?

special tone inducing plastics that resonate better than others?

jk

It is a good idea though...I know whats its like to be right in front of a big amp...not fun. Probably helps control the treble spike that we all hate also.