Plex or Lexan shield baffle for amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edward, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lchyi

lchyi Member

Here's how I made mine:

3 sheets of Lexan joined together with regular door hinges. Buy some industrial strength self adhesive velcro and put one side on the hinges and one side on the Lexan. This way, if you're unhappy with the mounting you can reaffix the hinges however you like. On top of that, it's cheap and it's portable because you can take it apart.

2. cochese

cochese Member

You might try putting it a few feet in front of your amp. At least four. I put mine behind my vocal monitor. The idea is to prevent the speaker from beaming. The only way it will work very close is if your are mic'd and even then I would put a soundblanket over it because the plexiglass does exactly as you say and creates a phasing sound. Your amp will still be loud but it won't hurt anyone's ears that happen to be sitting close to the stage.

3. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

"Transparent tone", "tinted for boutique", "keeping the moths away"

I never see people making this kind of comments about attenuators, funny. I use one from clearsonic and it is what allows me to have a stage volume where real amp sounds can be used, as well as heard. As guitar players, often on small stages, we seldom tend to stand in the speaker beam ourselves. The audience and an occasional keyboardist or drummer during rehearsal do, however. So, if you have people complaining about how loud the guitarist is, it often isn't really about being loud, but rather about being caught in a bad sound dispersion from a guitar amp.

But hey, those of you complaining, will most likely have to use an in-ear system at one point or other and then long for the time where a real amp could be used on stage. These screens are a blessing.

4. localmotion411

localmotion411 Member

I think maybe you missed the jokes.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use the Clearsonic at most gigs. Just saves the audience from harshness and lets me crank the volume more. I'm happy and the soundmen are happy.

6. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

Really? No, but I missed the humour though :D

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've had good luck just blocking one speaker of my 2x12 cabinet, and doing it with any old thing, like the lid to an effects rack or something. in fact, carpeted wood lids don't reflect harshness like plexi does, so i prefer them.

the problem with blocking the whole amp is that it completely changes the sound that goes into the mic, due to bounceback phasing. by blocking one speaker and mic'ing the other, i can get a reasonable compromise between amp tone and not getting my band booted from the club.

8. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

put a hole in the plexiglass to stick a mic through...so there is not bounceback?

9. localmotion411

localmotion411 Member

+1 -- Anyone try this? Also, what thickness of lexan/plexi? I don't want it to weigh 75 lbs.

10. localmotion411

localmotion411 Member

It's all good -- we's havin' fun!

:BEER

11. trpullen

trpullen Member

I suspect I am going to get to go down this path soon too. I love the Orange and want to crank it a bit more though the Master Vol is very good on that amp.

12. Cthross

Cthross Member

I used to watch Chuck Hall play and he uses these shields. He didn't mic his amps, just the vocals. He used a plexi and deluxe reverb and I never noticed any out of phase problems. He just sounded great. Good fat tone. I particuarly liked the sound of the tele through that setup. From smooth and clear to biting. Great sound.

It was a smaller sized bar, about 300 people max or so, but the shield probably allowed him to use his amps more. Might depend on where you're standing to notice the out of phase effect, but I was in the direction of the audience and didn't notice any problems. He set up his amps off to his side.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

TAP Plastic has everything you need and will even custom cut it.

Beam Blockers are made to spread and cut down the high frequencies. They don't have much effect on the rest or the frequencies and don't cut down the loudness.

14. drawrein

drawrein Member

I have a pre-CBS slab of plexiglass I'll let go for cheap. They sound best.

15. Coachmoe

Coachmoe Supporting Member

I went to see Coco Montoya two weeks ago and he was using a plexi shield in front of his Carr. Coco got GREAT TONE!

I checked out the Clearsonic site as they are 10 minutes from my house.

Musicians Friend has a product from a company called Drum One. It's called a four panel amp shield. They also make a three panel set as well.

Essentially the products from each company are identical. The big difference is the Drum One 4 panel shield costs $70.00 and the Clearsonic is $109.00. They do the same thing.

I have a Joe Bonamassa DVD and he uses a shield that is angled and it supposedly breaks up and disperses the sound better than a straight piece.

SOOO, I bought the Drum One shield and it works great with my DRRI and 59 Bassman RI. At least it works great in my basement! :)

I'll be using it on our next gig.:dude

16. edward

edward Supporting Member

Coachmoe,

Excellent tip. I hadn't seen this on MF before...and I looked! I haven't had a chance to check out Home Depot for cost of the DIY version, but this is just too tempting in its convenience. Thanks!

Edward

17. Coachmoe

Coachmoe Supporting Member

Edward,

I took the paper off the shields tonight and I set it up for battle. I used a hair dryer to warm up the hinges a little so the shields would go in easier.:dude

FWIW, It was worth the cost to just get it and and not have to build something. Works for me!

18. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member

I don't know if it's just me... But I had a Clear-sonic Plexi shield on my mic'd amp for about 6 months. I kept hearing this swirling phasey type sound that would go away after I removed the baffle. I think the mic was picking up the reflection off the plexi and adding a slight delay.

I then got two of the small Clear-sonic sorbers and stuck them together with velcro. I use this now and don't have the phase-like sound anymore.

19. edward

edward Supporting Member

Interesting. I've been reading about this from others, and I was thinking maybe this is also very mic dependent. I just went to a Senn e609 which seems to have really great rear-rejection (super cardioid), so I guess I'll find out. Acoustic foam, I suppose, could be the next move if I get issues. Thanks for the tip, though!!

Edward

20. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member

FYI- I was using an SM-57 and then recently switched to a 57-Beta. Both would pick up the reflected sound.