Plexi advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by burner, Feb 12, 2008.

1. burner

burner Member

Tax season wasn't too hard on me this year so I'm considering taking the plunge and buying a Marshall Plexi reissue 1/2 stack.
    (1959slp or 1987x)
    I'm going to be looking on the used market to save some cash so are there any things in particular I need to look for or be aware of?
    I'm specifically not talking about condition or servicing but rather if there are certain models that are better or worse than others depending on production run.
    Or are they all just as good as one another?

(50 watt or 100 watt doesn't really matter to me I'll probably just try to find the best deal.)

I should add:
    An aquaintence has a 100 watter (w/cab) for sale for $1800

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I prefer the 1987x with FX loop, more flexible and can be completely bypassed if needed. I think they started production in 2000?

3. burner

burner Member

I have no use for an effects loop but the fact it it has one wouldn't keep me from buying one.
    Did they make a non-loop version?

4. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Get a 2005 Marshall 1959HW. You can buy them used around here for around 1650-1700. It is far superior to the standard reissue line.

5. burner

burner Member

That's one idea for sure.
    When I was offered the other 1/2 stack for $1800 though I kind of set my price in that range for the whole setup.
    Not ruling anything else out but also trying to save as much as I can.

FWIW, I've played the standard reissues and I didn't find anything that I *didn't* like about them.

6. Gear91

Gear91 Member

My God, I got a 1959HW only because I got a great price. It sounds so good that I can't sell it. Great, great amp. Everything you would expect. I had a standard 1959SLP reissue and while decent, I sold it without regrets. There is a huge difference.

7. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Play a handwire and you will be willing to pay a little more.

8. burner

burner Member

I'm willing to pay a LOT more but my "will" apparently is not considered legal tender...

9. burner

burner Member

any other opinions?

I've read very mixed reviews about the reliability of both the reissues and the handwireds....still you gotta' wonder how much is accurate and how much is user stupidity...

10. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

CeriaTone 50 Watt Plexi.

I just bought one and I am a happy camper. Order it with whatever mods you need.

Including shipping, it came to $1050 USD.

Why pay double for the name?

I owned a Marshall JCM 800 back in the '80s and it was a POS. It was totally unreliable and ate tubes like nobody's business. I have known other Marshall owners with similar problems.

11. burner

burner Member

See the thing is I've owned several Marshalls...Super Leads and 800s and i never had any problems with any of them.

I'm not particularly interested in clones right now although I know what's available on the market.In fact, I've got a project in the works.
    Specifically I was wondering if anyone had feedback on the Plexi reissues.

12. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

The clones will sound better imo from Metro, Ceriatone and others

13. burner

burner Member

okay but what about the original question....

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

There are people out there right now that are building better Marshalls than Marshall.

15. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

$1800 is not really a great deal for an 1959SLP or 1987XL half-stack. They're both good amps, IMO, but that's just not a great price.

16. justonwo

justonwo Member

I agree. I would look for a used Aiken Invader with EL34s or a Germino (like this one)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=352836

And get a nice 4x12" in the Emporium. Bogner, StoneAge, Marshall, etc.

As mentioned before, there are many companies building Marshalls better than Marshall.

17. justonwo

justonwo Member

If you have the patience to wait, by the way, a StoneAge 4x12" is a thing of beauty.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

Find an early 70's Super Lead in good condtion and have it tweaked
    to how you want it by a good tech. They can be voiced a few different
    ways via brite cap values, split or shared cathode(Super Bass/JTM spec.),
    slope resistor values,and a few other areas of the circuit can be
    changed .

Pick up an aftermarket cab like Avatar or Mojotone and load it with
    Jim Seavell's Scumback speakers, and that should do it !

Edit: you might want a 50-watter instead, if you want earlier crunch.

19. burner

burner Member

I can do the 'tweaking' myself if needed.
    An early 70's super Lead would be great but I'm not sure I can find one in my price range w/ a cab.
    FWIW, I've owned a couple (and a SuperBass) and they were all great as-is.

I thought $1800 might be a little on the high side but I haven't tried to haggle with the guy yet.
    What would you consider fair for a 1959slp 1/2 stack?
    $1500?
    Less?

20. Johntheson

Johntheson Member

burner,
    even though I've lurked here for quite some time; I've never posted here, so my advice may be taken as that of a newby, which it isn't. I'm 54 now, and have been playing since I was 9, and have had a ton of axes and amps. I bought one of the plexi RI's in 98 because I had played older Marshall's during my "band" days, and after raising my children; I wanted another 1959slp. I've got the pre effects loop model. I've ended up only playing about 10 hours or less through it. Not because I didn't like the sound, but because it is such a beast. Getting into another band never materialised, and I have a 67 Vibrochamp that I use at home. To me the plexi RI's sound wonderful. Everyone has different opinions about amp tones,ect. I also have a mint 65 showman and a mint 67 bandmaster, as well as a tweed fender combo, so I know what decent tone is. If you liked the tone of the earlier Marshall's, then you will also like the RI's. You may desire to clip a cap here or there, but the foundation is there. I am not a do all,be all amp guru; but neither are most of the others online who claim to be. I've heard some very respectful amp techs say that the handwired to circuit board tone comparison is for the most part blown out of proportion. The biggest difference in the two is that point to point/handwired amps are so much easier to work on. I see from your post that you refer to working on your own amps, so I know you know all this. I did buy the B cab to go along with my head because I liked the bottom end a little better than the top cab. I say with no disrespect to anyone; go for it.
    John Sr.