Plexi and Blackface in One Box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Semi-Hollow, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Semi-Hollow

Semi-Hollow Guest

Hey Folks,

Looking for any info here. I found out on another forum about this amp by Conte (????) that looks kind of interesting. Anyone know anything about them/this.... www.conteamps.com

2. Kenster

Kenster Member

Dont know anything about Conte amps but you might look for
    an Aiken Sabre. 2 Channel amp specifically voiced for Blackface cleans on one channel Marshall on the other with boost function and line outs for each channel. See aikenamps.com
    for more info. If you're lucky you might find a used one. Otherwise
    you may have to wait till Randall Aiken gets his shop up and running at his new location in the Pensacola FL.area.

I dont have one but I wish I did. Just have an Aiken 18 watter
    that rocks.
    :dude

3. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

It could be but I doubt it. In life, true multiple trick ponies are rarer than pony turds at a carousel. ;)

How about a Deluxe Reverb and an 18watt and an A/B box? :dude

4. SFW

SFW Member

5. fakeox

fakeox Member

There was a guy on AMPAGE that built something called a Transatlantic out of a silverface Bassman..

6. Semi-Hollow

Semi-Hollow Guest

Not to take anything away from Rivera, they make fine amps, but I have yet to hear anything from a Rivera that is a convincing Plexi.

If these guys are in fact using two seperate output circuits it seems like it could be the real deal. I just know nothing about the company.

7. thinline

thinline Member

hey semi...check out the sommatone roaring 20. jimmy somma is in somerville, nj and is great to deal with. www.sommatone.com

:YinYang

8. Semi-Hollow

Semi-Hollow Guest

Looks like a nice amp, but I don't see the connection. Elaborate for me please. Thanks.

9. Mike

Mike Member

That amp RIPS! John has come up with a great design/mod/design. Frankly, I don't remember the cleans (they're pretty good) but there are some drive tones that kill!

Mike

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

There's a wide range of plexi. Rivera "nails" some of that type and "fails" some other plexi flavors. The blackface thing has more of a concensus. The plexi thing - you can have two respected opinions completely disagree on plexi sounds.

In the case of Rivera it seems to come down to whether your idea of plexi has that upper mid range "hairy" texture or whether the smooth top, big mid growl of the Rivera strikes you as plexi-ish. One way I've heard to get a Rivera a little closer to the hairy side is to run 6550s in there, but I don't do that myself.

11. johan

johan Member

You won't get a plexi and a BF Fender if you stack both in one cab. An amp is the whole package. Speakers are different, cab-design (open/closed back) and size.

12. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

You really need to try the new 50wt head that Paul Cochrane has designed for Heritage amps, it's a true Marshall/Fender in one! I've been down to beta test it for him and can honestly say that it nails the two amps in one! He also has a unique power supply circuit that you will just have to ask him about yourself, top secret stuff!!!!!! I'm not kidding though, I didn't believe anyone could get it this close but he did! Check it out for yourself!:dude

13. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

Looks interesting on the sight. No sound clips though. I will try to find out if they have a dealer near me. E-mailing them now.
    Thanks!!!

14. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

BTW, I e-mailed these guys yesterday to find out more about the amp. They mentioned that Mark Hitt has been working with them as their tone guru. I don't know that you guys outside of NY/NJ/CT would know of him, but he is a bit of a local legend.
    I grew up watching him with Rat Race Choir. They were thee local club band for about 15 years. He did some studio work with Bonham and some other big names. If he is involved it is probably pretty cool.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

David Allen offers a silverface Fender Bassman mod which converts the normal channel into the favored BF circuit and the bass channel into a tweed bassman circuit with with a tweed/plexi switch. Pretty amazing for $150.

16. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Isn't Fargen making a 2nd generation Bordeaux with these amps in mind. Someone on the forum has one and was raving about the tones/quality.

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I think what you're thinking of was the Epic 30 DC. I purchased one from him in November last year and the label on it said "Bordeaux" even though the circuit had changed. Mine was apparently the first one he had built of his dual channel amps, so it's possible he changed the label on the amp with other production models.

The Epic 30 DC is a Vox AC-30 on one channel and a Marshall JTM-45 on the other. I have to admit that both channels do their respective jobs extremely well.

The Dual Classic that Ben released a little later was IIRC a blackface Fender on one side and a tweed on the other. That might be more up your alley (seeing as IMO a plexi is a modified tweed). For those wanting a more Fender flavored clean, that might be a very good option.

Either way, Ben makes killer stuff and if you ask him to design something that will nail a particular tone, he has enough experience to be able to tweak it to that.

Amp designers in general are wising up to the needs of players so there are various other amps out there that offer clean to mean footswitchable options.

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

That was John Kelley Brown, and it combined a blonde Bassman circuit w/ a plexi circuit. The PI used plexi values if I remember correctly, because he found that the Fender side worked better with the plexi values than the plexi side did w/ Fender values.

This is a DIY project, the schematic was available at The Blue Guitar website.

I like the idea of the Conte amps w/ two OT's and two power tube sets, because so much of the sound comes from that part of it. That way you could also use both Fender and plexi pi values along with the power tubes and OT.

Next you'd want two different speaker cabs! One open back w/ Jensens or JBL's and on closed back w/ Celestions.

Oh heck, get the DR and 18 watt and AB box and be done with it! ;)

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I find this to be true across the board. Its easier to compromise the Fender side than the Marshall for the best of both worlds. For instance you can get acceptable fender clean tones with an EL-34 (Rivera amps come to mind) but I find the Marshall grind is lacking with 6l6's.

20. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

Agreed, that is what I like about this Conte amp that Semi-Hollow found:

6L6 and El34
    seperate output circuits
    seperate output transformers

I e-mailed them and asked for some sound clips and they said they would be on the site when they launch in a couple weeks.
    They claim it is a true Fender and true Marshall. We'll see.