Plexi and P&W

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shades of Blue, Jan 31, 2020.

1. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

[​IMG]

willyboy and JCW308 like this.
  2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

HA HA love it!

3. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I don't play P&W music, in fact I'm certain I'd burst into flames just walking into a church, but I do gig and rehearse with a 100w 1959 circuit as a pedal platform and all is well. If anything, I would argue that marshall amps take drive pedals better than any Fender I've played, especially the blackface Fenders.

As long as you are rocking a pedal platform it doesn't matter if you are running 100w unless your amp doesn't have a volume control.

TonyBony likes this.
  4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I think I have the solution. Everyone just needs a Vox AC50 or AC100. They are like a Vox and Marshall Plexi got together.

Ironically I have never used my Vox AC50 live for P&W, but I need to. She just needs some TLC right now.

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I had a mistype in there. I don't own a reverb pedal. I do own a boss dd-7. But basically I got to the point where playing the part of Hillsong parrot wasn't at all who I am or how I should be expressing myself and I was honest about that and luckily had the support of my leader.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  6. edward

edward Supporting Member

^^^No parrot. Supportive worship director. Glad and gratified on both counts! :)

Edward

7. Chadley

Chadley Member

I cut my teeth playing in a hardcore band in the 90’s/2000’s and then transitioned to playing mostly in churches. I have used almost everything as far as amps go over the years. I used to have a killer early 80’s JCM800 that worked quite well for P&W. Sold it because it was too heavy (I’m a moron).

Back when I used modelers I often would dial up a plexi or JTM45 patch. As long as it fits the song, anything goes IMO.

The conformists thing drives me insane. Instagram has been the worst thing for P&W guitarists IMO. It makes us value trends and aesthetic over function and discourages inventiveness and individuality.

I think it can also discourage young players who feel like unless they have a $2000 pedalboard or high end modeler they can’t play in band.

blackba, Shades of Blue and therhodeo like this.
  8. spencer096

spencer096 Member

it's weird, it's almost as if "P&W" is no different than every other kind of music...which is weird considering it gets discussed like it's its own unique genre on just about every music forum.

9. DRS

DRS Member

Everyone loves to poke at the P&W scene but I suspect that if all churches went back to piano and organ, a number of large manufacturers would go out of business.

The only reason a nice Marshall amp wouldn't work is volume control.

10. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

You hit the nail on the head for me. I also don't own a pair of skinny jeans or shoes that would be considered trendy. I don't roll my pants legs up either. Some guys can get away with that, but for some of us other 250lb gentlemen, it just doesn't work for me.

I played in church off and on for 10 years. My favorite group was a southern gospel group where I played a Strat into a Marshall Class 5. That's it. Tone for days, didn't need effects, and I just worked the volume. This is why I think the Studio Vintage would work for me, but as therhodeo eloquently put it, some churches today promote the "Hillsong Parrot" mentality.

11. spencer096

spencer096 Member

do P&W bands typically buy their own gear or does the church fund some/all?

12. DRS

DRS Member

Unless you're the piano/organ player, you buy your own.

spencer096 likes this.
  13. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

some churches provide some stuff, but others, nothing. We have a sansamp for bass, a drum kit, and an hrd for the other EG, but my rig is all mine, largely because I accumulated it all before pdub was my main gig, so it got used heavily all over the place. But it really depends.

blackba and spencer096 like this.
  14. spencer096

spencer096 Member

appreciate the responses, was always curious

15. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

At least 5 guitarists in my church and I’m the sole electric guitar guy. Everyone else plays cowboy chords on acoustic.

I’m still teaching my various MD’s on what electric guitar can do so my playing is stuck in the late 70’s and 1980’s out of necessity. Luckily, our pastor played electric guitar as a teenager, so he’s given me the official seal of approval.

At this point, the most aggressive I can get is a TS type overdrive (Keeley Red Dirt) with the gain halfway up into a Princeton RI with the volume at 4.

16. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

I've had churches buy me strings, and I even had one church buy me a 1x12 cab for my head so I didn't have to bring the cab every week.

Not to get into politics here, but I've also never been paid. I've been in music groups before with paid musicians, but I've never received a dime. Don't know how you make it on a paid team lol.

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

I was blessed to play with a great group of folks for about 15 years in the last church we attended. We had a different flavor from the traditional P&W sound. Much more motown, soul, R&B and roots-rock feel. There were a few weekends where I played a 100 watt Plexi into a 2x12, but the cab was always mic'd somewhere off stage in the basement. My most recent go-to was a 65 Amps Empire into a matching 2x12, so a Plexi-flavored amp, albeit lower wattage, again with the cab mic'd in a closet just off-stage. Fit my playing and our team well.

Family has been attending a smaller church over the past year and I'm getting ready to plug into their team. I plan to stick with my Empire but may prove to be a bit much for the room even when running the cab off-stage. I wouldn't hesitate going with a lower-wattage plexi-style amp if that's the case. Carr Mercury maybe.

18. edward

edward Supporting Member

Think of it like a generic term, like scotch tape, when in reality there is double sided, painters, artists, gaffers, duct, etc. Or more specifically, saying I play "rock" says nothing specific, but does offer a rough --very broad-- idea of genre of style. So me playing blues-based rock really is different from me covering 90s alt-rock, but to the laymen or outsider, it's "rock" ...you get the picture, I'm sure.

So with P&W, it's not all Hillsong, not by a longshot. Even the term "Contemporary Christian Music" is loaded language. Fact is, there are different styles --subsets in name like we use alt-rock, classic rock, surf, or rockabilly, etc-- that include acoustic, electric, full band, single/duos, mando, horns, piano, and of course, organ ...you name it.

So what do you call this very diverse genre? Somehow "Praise and Worship" is the term that sticks these days. And I don't know how, frankly. When I was a teen, it was "modern worship" which as budding geetarist was like "Christian Rock" to my teen sensibilities loving Boston, Journey, Foreigner, EVH, along with of course Zep, Stones, the Who, etc.

So yeah, the "P&W" moniker is a bit strange. But upon closer thought, no more less vague than saying "I listen to rock." But at least I don't play a gretch through two delays and a reverb as I swell the volume pedal :)

Edward

blackba likes this.
  19. tuckman-lp100

tuckman-lp100 Member

Are you running the amp clean/edge of breakup with a “typical” p&w board in front or dirt pedals in front and delays and reverbs in the loop?

20. scotticus

scotticus Member

I play my 1987 every Sunday, though we don't play the stereotypical "P&W" sound or setlist. Just need to find a matching 4x12!

[​IMG]

guitargeek6298 and ebenezer like this.