Plexi - Ceriatone or Metro vs.Germino, Soultone, etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Detour, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Detour

Detour Member

I have been trying to decide on a Plexi clone. Been looking at Germino, Soultone, Mojave, Voodoo, and Sattelite and then a friend told me about Ceriatone and Metro. Apparently Ceriatone sells a complete head for 1/2 the price of the others and Metro has a complete kit for about the same.

Any feedback on Ceriatone and Metro? How do they compare to the others? Thanks.

2. Drifting

Drifting Member

The thing about Ceriatone is the shipping KILLS you, Nik is overseas. Great service and reputation though.

I'd say stock, Metro's parts are of a higher quality, not to look down on Ceriatone though, they have a much wider spectrum of amps offered, and are still supposed to be great regardless.

George's builds are considered among the best w/ Germino & Soultone(I'm not familiar with the other builders, but have heard good things about Satellite & Mojave as well), it's really up to you, you can't go wrong with any of the three.

The only extra thing Metro has to offer is building your own amp(with step by step instructions a novice can follow), how YOU want(choose your trannies, lead or bass specs, and you can experiment with a zillion other things, the community of builders at metroamp.com is awesome). George's replica builds(plexireplicas.com) are amazing too, his JTM-45(the GPM) got an excellent review in the JTM45 round up from PG as well, I believe it was the favorite.

Bottom line, they're all good choices, just up to you to decide what's right for what you want, and what you can afford.

3. toneman335

toneman335 Member

How does Rockytop rank within this group?

4. Detour

Detour Member

Thanks. The Satellite Omega looks very cool. Real straightforward. Just don't know the reputation in comparison to the others. Have you heard one?

5. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Don't expect to get a lot of love around here for the Ceriatone amps. :mob

But they do make a fine amplifier and if coinage is short I would say go for it. I own the HRM100 and am 100% happy with my purchase and how I was treated. However, if you are handy with a soldering iron and can follow simple instructions the Metro is hands down the winner in my book. George offers a very accurate replica of the old plexi Marshalls for around $1K which is unbelievable IMO. You can add another $400 or so if you want it built for you by Metro. Germino makes some killer stuff and I've heard great things about the Soultone models. They all show up on the emporium from time to time for great prices so if it were my money I would keep a sharp eye out for a used one!

6. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Ok, I've got to ask what the reason for this is.

7. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Cause their amps ain't made in here in 'Merica!

:horse

8. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

I've heard Satellites in the hands of Rontrose Heathman of the Supersuckers and Johnny 2Bags of Social Distortion and they are absolutely fantastic sounding amps, Tele's to LP Jr's to humbuckers.

9. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

10. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Metro and Germino seem to own the rep for closest to originals.

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I searched the world over when looking for a clone. I ended up going with a Germino because the Club 40 simply sounds the best to me. I've never, to my knowledge, been in the same room with an original so I can't speak to that. I just know I like what I heard and learned to be the "Plexi" sound growing up and the Germino replicates the sound I long to have. As far as quality, you'd be hard pressed to pick a bad one from the likes of Metro, Rockytop, Wallace, Blankenship, Mojave, etc... It's really just a matter of personal taste.

The only one I really didn't like the sound of was the Ceriatone. It just didn't do anything for me. It has nothing to do with where they're made, however. I have no idea (other than what was posted in this thread) where they're made.

12. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

13. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

A step below Germino, Metropoulis, Reinhardt IMO.

Bout on par with Ceriatone...neither are bad, I just think those 3 cats have better iron, parts and tone.

RT isn't bad though, it's just not quite as nice IMO.

14. stump

stump Member

Ceriatone is fine, but for pretty much the same money, I chose the Metro. The support, if you choose to build it or not, is excellent. The parts are excellent. I will never need a tech for the amp because I built it and can fix it as well as my others, due to the learning experience. Geronimo, Soultone, Mojave and a bunch of others make fine amps. Hell, you could even pickup a used Marshall for o.k. money. It really depends what you're really looking for.

15. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

I have a Soultone Super Plexi 1987ps and can say that it definitely nails that plexi sound with a few modern twists that to me are great like a tube-buffered FX loop and Power Scaling. It really works well and you have a monster tone at almost any volume level.

16. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member

When I was on my Plexi search I owned the Germino Club 40 and played Ceriatone, Metro, Marshall, and Fargen.

I thought the Fargen Mightyplex was the most versatile, but the Club40 and the Metro were pure Plexi. The Marshall reissue and the Ceriatone sounded good, but a step below the others.

I actually ended up with an Aiken Invader 18. Best of both worlds for me (tone and managable volume)... Man it is nice to have so many fantastic amp builders these days!

17. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

18. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Germino's are fantastic from a sonic, build quality and customer service standpoint. Plus they have a transferrable warranty. But I am a bit biased :)

Seriously, Metros are fantastic too. A lot of good Marshall clones of yesteryear available today.

19. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I had a Soultone Wilbur for a short time and it was killer. I should have held onto that amp. It had great classic tones with some excellent modern adjustment and appointments. IF I ever get back into Marshall type tones I will hunt another Soultone down for sure.