Plexi Clone at a whisper volume using a PPIMV (Clip)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bonchie123, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Found this on HC. I had been curious as to how effective the PPIMV is for lower volume playing. He said this was at a whisper volume. Sounds very good. Amp is just a stock 50 watt Superbass clone with a PPIMV added.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6382376&q=hi

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Kind of compressed sounding to me....and NO I'm not bagging on Telephant. He's a super forumite over there on HC.

3. bonchie123

Sure it isn't perfect, but I'm seriously surprised a PPIMV can make a plexi sound even that decent at those low volumes. I was expecting it to be more ice picky and loose.

4. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

It's not a Superbass clone. It's a Superbass. :)

I've had the pleasure of hearing this thing in person more than once.

:RoCkIn:RoCkIn:RoCkIn

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

For a whisper quiet plexi, that sounds great !! I suspect it sounds better with a bit of volume, but I'd be very happy to practice at home with that tone.
    We must also remember that all PPIMV's are not the same. There are all sorts of different circuits that people use. Some seem to be much better than others. It's something I'm really only just researching at the moment. Interesting subject.

Edit - I just checked the original thread on HC, Here's his lead sound clip - truly great tone for low volume.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6382669&q=hi . Nice one Telephant !!

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Considering the volume, that sounds pretty good. Sure, it's compressed, but that's what happens when you are driving the snot out of the preamp tubes.

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I could honestly gig that tone close mic'd and be just fine with it.

8. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

is that straight in or is a pedal being used to get the driven sound ?

Bryan

9. kindburro

kindburro Member

10. hamfist

hamfist Member

No pedals at all, apparently.

11. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Im not sure why PPIMV are so looked down upon sometimes. I think they can sound fantastic. On another note, throughout the years, a few guys posted unlabled comparison clips. One clip was of there amp on 10 with no attenuation or MV and the other clip was a PPIMV recorder at TV volume and when put to the challenge not one person guessed which one was the cranked amp and which one was the PPIMV clip. Id like to see someone do this again !!

All the best

~R~

12. bonchie123

I'm wanting a Superbass or Superlead bad. Nik will build me one in a headcab shipped for a grand (with a PPIMV and Effects loop for delays and crap). I'm thinking I could hold out for a used one before he would have mine built anyway though.

13. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Just a heads up, you might want Nik to install a different type of master volume if you are going to have an effects loop put in the amp. PPIMV don't jive well with loops. I know a lot of guys who had problems with PPIMV and effects loops.

14. madscientist

madscientist Member

Hey, for us slow people, what's PPIMV?

15. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

I can attest to this. My PPIMV works fine, but the loop is worthless.

But I'm not sure the PPIMV has anything to do with this....a good loop needs to be tube buffered as well as some other stuff.

PPIMV=post phase inverter master vol.

16. madscientist

madscientist Member

thanks for the definition..:BEER

17. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

It does sound good, but calling it "plexi" tone seems questionable. The output tubes are barely working. I think the of plexi tone as more the output section working with a 4x12. Can't do that in your bedroom!

18. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Inverter
    Master
    Volume

It's a master volume that's placed after the phase inverter tube in the signal chain of an amp.

The LP forums have always raved about the PPIV mod.

19. bonchie123

I think how hard the output tubes work on a Pleix to create the overdrive is a little overrated. From what I've heard most of the OD and dynamics come from the Preamp and Phase inverter on Plexi Circuits, even though the common myth has always been its "all powertube distortion."

To the guy suggesting about the Effects loop, yeah I had heard that. The Efx loop basically becomes like running effects infront of your amp, pre distortion, with a PPIMV. In other words, delays become pretty useless. I was just gonna get it for delay on cleaner tones though for some of the stuff I have to play in Church. For overdriven stuff I'd just use reverb outfront to wetten it up a little for lead work.

20. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

On a cranked amp the distortion is coming from all over the amp. Preamp, PI, Poweramp, OT (yes output tranny's saturate as well) and even speakers. Its a complex system and no MV is going to get all of that at low volume. Any way you slice it MV's are a compromise. That said, a well executed MV can sound great and they are obviously very handy.