Plexi Palace

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jda, Sep 22, 2006.

1. jda

jda Member

Anyone ever bought anything from Plexi Palace? I'm in the market for a hiwatt, and their name came up in an internet search. If you've had any experience with them, would you be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Great location. Just as reputable as this one. Post over there and ask about the lister and you'll find alot of very helpful folks.

3. wheelman

wheelman Member

4. Leftee

Leftee Guest

He's asking about the business, not the BBS.

5. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I have not heard a negative comment about them in about five years. Way back when, they did have a rough reputation regarding customer service. When they learned that people can start threads all over the internet bashing you, at no cost to them, it appeared they changed gears. Although if you say anything less than 100% positive about them on their own BBS you will be instantly banned. Their BBS is strictly there to promote their business and any deviation from that goal is not tolerated. Personally I'd pay with a credit card as an added guarantee.

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The first time I ran into them was when I bought a used '72 50-watt Marshall from them. The sale was totally smooth and the amp was exactly as advertised. I also bought a new Mojave Plexi 45 from them (Mojave = Plexi Palace), with similar results.

7. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

A very good place to buy a Hiwatt from.

8. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Fanatic Silver Supporting Member

Their Vintage pieces do seem to be extremely clean and many are completely refurbished such as old Vox AC30's.
    But you will pay a premium price.

9. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I bought a 61 AC30 and an Orange OD120 2x12 combo from Victor at the PP several years ago. No problems and Victor was very knowledgable and helpful in our phone conversations.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Nice!!! :rolleyes:

About their business selling vintage pieces, I have no experience with them, but what they sell looks might tasty from the pics they post. I do think Victor knows what he doing when it comes to refurbishing vintage amps.

11. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Why would a business run a free BBS community, then tolerate people runnig down said business on the BBS? Makes no sense at all.

Mistakes were made back in the day, but remember that there are at least 2 sides to every story. Many times the whole picture is not evident. There is a whole side to that saga that was never made public. Suffice to say, the Plexi Palace was not the evil, torrid business it was made out to be. If it was, you'd still be hearing about it today. You're not because it isn't.

12. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Check out Gibson's forum...their admins are pretty tolerant of reasonable criticism.

13. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Plexi Palace doesn't seem to stock much vintage gear these days.

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Oops. Sorry 'bout that. Don't know about buying from them. I think the folks over there's advice on Vintage stuff is first rate.

And certainly there is a problem with criticism of the stuff they sell. They have banned several folks who got a litte 'salty' with either the customer service or especially the Mojave brand. So keep in mind that all the opinions will be generally positive with minor drawbacks on THAT stuff.

As long as you ignore what they have to say about what they sell, then you'll be okay.

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

For years, their advertised inventory is amongst the smallest I've ever seen. Most local stores have more vintage gear. BUT I'm not an authority on what they might actually have in stock or carry ,but it sure don't seem like much at all!

ERIC

16. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I talked to Victor Mason about the vintage biz - he DOES NOT like to do it anymore. Said he ran into too many problems when procuring amps, esp from abroad. They ended up with more than a few he deemed unsalvageable.

My 73 Marshall that I chose my screen name after is from Plexi Palace. Everything on it was original down to the filter caps. They did a great job. It had 2 holes punched in the back on the chassis, but 2 techs have confirmed the amp is authentic and very well cared for.

For some reason though, they put some very high values on the resistors on the volume and tone controls (only non-orig thing on the amp). It made the amp sound AMAZING with a Variac, which Plexi Palace sells. Authentic brown tone.

I have been a little happier as of late with Sozos and the original values running without a Variac. Great tone as well, and less browned out, sweeter cleans when backed off.

17. Leftee

Leftee Guest

What is reasonable criticism and how much can a business take? Both pertinent questions. Gibson has an long-established name. I'm sure they can (and do) absorb a lot of bad PR and make payroll. The Plexi Palace is actually run out of 2 units in a small strip-mall in Apple Valley.

Is it reasonable to publically complain instead of working privately to resolve an issue? Some bigger companies don't allow that on their BBS's - i.e. Carvin.

How much of Gibson's business is impacted by posts on their BBS? Does it come out of people's paychecks?

OTOH the Plexi Palace is one guy's business. He employs a couple folks. There's a family that has trouble making the house payment and eating because someone went of on a tirade on their BBS. Again, what sense does that make?

and again...

2 sides for every story too.

18. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Vic mentioned a couple years ago that the number of vintage amps is finite. He knew he couldn't live off them forever. Now he has Mohave moving forward.

19. jda

jda Member

Thanks, everyone, for sharing. They don't seem to answer email, so maybe I'll give them a call. I don't mind paying a premium for an amp that has been gone over and refurbished. But it does sound like perhaps they don't deal with vintage gear so much anymore.

Anyhow, I'm on the hunt for a 4 input Hiwatt - I'll give them a call at some point. And if you happen to know of one with original trannys, I'd sure be grateful to hear about it.

20. wheelman

wheelman Member

Your in EXCELLENT hands with the plexi palace.