Plexi Question Again.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Oct 20, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Sorry too be redundant, but I'm a little slow. I'm looking for a Plexi Type amp That has a Master, and can keep all of those Plexi qualities at a resonable Volume. I've owned and currently own Vintage Marshall Plexis, Super Leads and a Super Bass. For those of you who have played these amps, you know that they are sweet. But LOUD, and using a Hot Plate or similar just isn't the same.

So what Amp out there can keep the Plexi Clean and Dirty characteristics at a useable Volume? I mainly Play Strats with Vintage wound Pickups, so Noise factor is important also.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

With a Master?

The best I've heard is the Top Hat Emplexador.

Best, Pete.

3. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I dunno the whole Plexi voodoo thing & what that sound actually is, is different to many players I think & there's certainly lots of amp makers who have nailed the Marshall recreation more so than Naylor but.....the master volume on a Naylor works really well IMO. It will growl & thump very convincingly at low volumes.

4. Just1more

Just1more Member

I have a '69 plexi Superbass, & "loud" is a relative term. To me it's not that loud, and I don't think there is an amp with a master volume that will sound like an amp without a master volume. Some are okay, but not the same as a non mv amp.

5. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

6. pluto

pluto Member

What happened to the other thread you started yesterday? I thought there were some pretty good suggestions there (PPIV master, maven peal, aiken, bray etc.).

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Have a defeatable MV installed on a Marshall Plexi or RI, or buy one that has one installed. There you go! :)

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

This is just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth.

I have been down this road and you cant get there from here. What ever you do (hot plate, ppimv....) if your wanting more than just a little decrease in volume you loose the goods.

I spent a considerable amount of time and money chasing this elusive monster. Allways to come up short.

There aint but one thing that will cure this problem and that is a lower powered amp Cranked.

I dont care if you buy one or not so dont get me wrong.

My search ended when I picked up a Balls M-18 2x12 combo. I put the essence of the tone right at gorgeous blooming 68 Plexi in an not so Earth Shaking package that is gig and record friendly.

I love the tone of those Marshalls but its intirely unmanageable or compramise.

Try no compramise. Get a smaller amp that takes you there. Though there is one compramise cause you cant run everyone out of your neighberhood. :D

:dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

http://ballsamps.com/m18.html

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Check out the Divided By 13 RSA23. :cool:

10. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

If you haven't found it it's because you haven't found a Ganesha.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

check out www.reinhardtamps.com I had a 36 watter and loved it. I'm getting ready to place an order for a 50 watt version too.:)

12. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I don't want to derail this thread but the two options I've heard is The Ganeesha and using a product called the Ultimate attenuator.

FWIW

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

That's interesting, Dave Z.

Frankly, I've never considered the Ganesha as a "Master" amp! If you want that Marshall sound at lower volumes it's the way to go.

Best, Pete.

14. yanquii

yanquii Member

I have never actually played one man, but I have heard good things about Thundertweak amps.

15. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I agree I never think of it in that way. I think what Dave is pointing out is if you want to change the ratio of pre-amp distortion to power amp distortion you can do so by putting a jumper in the loop and using its controls. I honestly tried it once and just never found I needed it. The charm of the Ganesha is that you get the same tone the same distortion at comfortable room volume as you do at ear splitting volumes . Obviously you loose some the effect of moving big air and it doesn't add any compensation for frequency response sensitivity changes within the human ear when the volumes get really low but the quality of the distortion is there and slight tone control tweaks can make it as good as it is going to get at those volumes.

16. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Gjika Mini Amp.... I still don't quite understand why this thing is not talked about more on this board. If you already have an old Marshall the Gjika is about as close as I've heard to getting that sound at low volume. If you want an amp with a master vlume, that's a different approach than old Marshalls in my opinion. Do a search on Harmony Central's reviews and look for Mark Kane's review of the Gjika if you want to know more about it.

17. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Not only that, you'll get more than just a Plexi because you can adjust the power supply sag. Sag is a huge part of what gives an amp its particular mojo.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dave,
    You still working on the "speaker laying flat" at low volume issue?

Best, Pete.

19. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

+ 1 on the Maven Peal. My Tuskadaro delivers the plexi goods at low and cranked volume.

:D

20. blong

blong Supporting Member

Try a Rivera amp. They get great variations of Fender and Marshall tone, from one end of the spectrum to the other (clean to dirty from either channel). I sometimes set channel 1 (dirty) to be a heavy Marshall tone, with channel 1 (clean-dirty) to be either Fender clean or a Marshall-esque clean tone. Has master volume for each channel, boost for each channel, and most models have a half-power switch.

I own a Rake, but have liked numerous models, except the Suprema. I did not like it at all.

Look into it. Many hear may disagree, but if you tweak a Rivera enough you can find just the right Fender/Marshall tones to cover all your bases. They are very, very versatile amps.

Bob