Plexi style amps - suggestions... Morris, Fargen,...?

Earplayer

Hi there!

Please share your experiences or opinions on the FARGEN and MORRIS amps or maybe you have a great sounding suggestion for a Plexi-style amp.

I am looking for a Plexi style amp at home along with my 212 pre Rola cabinet...
+ low volume applications on this one (dont want an attenuator with this one)
+ needs FX-Loop for Reverb and Delay
+ should be bright and gainy...
+ i would prefere a single channel with very good clean up on the volume pot (maybe a two channel amp or cascaded single...)

Fargen MPMKIII looks nice, Morris JR, ... unfortunately i have no experience with these brands.

Sorry for my bad english... THANKS!

Cheers, Tommy.

C-4

Brunetti Pleximan.
Use search function. About 16 pages on this amp.
I bought one and it has a 5/50 watt switch and many features to bring it up to a JCM800 version as well.
I also have Marshalls and the Pleximan is far more versatile then a Marshall Plexi.

Keep in mind that since we all hear differently, one of the other suggestions may be more to someone's liking then my suggestion.
I would have just bought a Marshall Plexi, but the extra switching options on the Pleximan are what got my attention after the sound it has. It just makes it more attractive to be able to get the same amp into JCM 800 territory as well.

Last edited:

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
I don't recall if the Dr. Z Remedy has an effects loop but with the master volume it ticks the other boxes. Plus, when they show up on Reverb the heads are 1,000-1,2000

strumminsix

I've owned a few Fargen amps from the Blackbird series. All great amps. Ben is super friendly and easy to work with. Top notch customer service.

No experience with the model you are considering, but you said you weren't familiar with the "brand" so just giving $.02 on that front. Good luck!

JHand

You've just described the Marshall SV20

How does the SV20 work at quieter volumes? I assume it can't do true bedroom levels, but can it do loud house volumes? Like the volume you would play at in a garage, or in a house where you are OK with being heard by other people in the house but don't want to anger the neighbors?

Earplayer

Thank you guys!

The SV20 is not really what i am looking for... its too loud for me for this application i dont play at mousefartvolumes but the amp is designed for studios or smaller gigs and needs loudness... the design is to mimic a 1959 at manageable volumes... (and i think it has a unique voicing to it) nice but for that i prefere a 1959 with an attenuator or a big botted 100watter with a good mastervolume.

At home i need something that works at lower volumes.

The Brunetti looks nice as well...

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
How does the SV20 work at quieter volumes? I assume it can't do true bedroom levels, but can it do loud house volumes? Like the volume you would play at in a garage, or in a house where you are OK with being heard by other people in the house but don't want to anger the neighbors?
It is very loud at "house" volumes... even in the 5w mode

JHand

It is very loud at "house" volumes... even in the 5w mode

Bummer. I wish Marshall would come out with a plexi-style amp that works at lowish volumes. Maybe they will at NAMM. Or maybe I'll just get the Silver Jubilee, even though it isn't quite as plexi-ish as I would really want.

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
@Earplayer

A 15 watt amp is still quite loud.
You will need an attenuator.
An effects loop makes no sense for a Plexi amp, because it develops its tone via the whole amp.
Even a PPIMV is a compromise.
Get some kind of reamping solution, like a Suhr RL.

Earplayer

@Earplayer

A 15 watt amp is still quite loud.
You will need an attenuator.
An effects loop makes no sense for a Plexi amp, because it develops its tone via the whole amp.
Even a PPIMV is a compromise.
Get some kind of reamping solution, like a Suhr RL.

You want a Plexi type amp......to use at home........with no attenuator?

That doesn't compute to me.

Plexi's (IMHO) like the power section to be working, thus you're not getting that to happen at home without an attenuator.

I know in know... i am playing Marshall amps basically all my life. I had at least 12 vintage Marshalls (from 68 to 76) including Plexis. At the moment i play a Marshall 100W AFD100 halfstack at home with very good results (using the Return/Level from the fx-loop in addition with the Master and Scaling the amp provides)... before i had a 100W superlead original from 1971 with a 412 Pre Rola cab (unfortunately i have sold that rig) a Faustine Phantom DX2 and a wet-fx rig... never tried the Fryette Powerstation but in the end i hated every attenuator at home - lately also live...
Thats why i am looking for some alternatives (Bogner Helios for example)...

I know no musician that rocks out a Plexi these days - even at gigs i need to be so low with my volume its unbelievable. Latest gig was an open-air outdoor gig with a stage-volume way under my rehearsal loundness (no in ear monitoring) i barely could get any feedback out of the amp...

I know for sure that Plexi and home(bedroom)-volumes dont pair well... but there are amps out there that deliver the plexi-tone characteristics at low volume...

Thanks guys

Earplayer

I had the Mini Plex MkIII. Wonderful amp. Sounded excellent. The only reason I sold it was that I spent a fortune on a Fryette PS-2, a Germino Classic 45 and a Germino Lead 35. But the Fargen was REALLY nice...

Thanks a lot. Please tell me more about the Fargen that would be awesome. On the paper the amp looks really cool... GZ34/SS option too the decade switch seems to be useful... no biasing etc.- lots of cool features.
Do you think the Fryette PS2 is a better solution now with your amps getting the tones you want (plexi-style) vs the Fargen?

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
in the end i hated every attenuator at home - lately also live...

I agree with Bluesful -- have you tried a reactive load (any brand) ?
It should work better than an attenuator.
there are amps out there that deliver the plexi-tone characteristics at low volume...

Not if you want to overdrive the power tubes.
Of course, you can do it with a modeler, if that's good enough.

I can add that people seem to love the Morris amps:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nad-morris-perplexd.1863963/

But 15 watts isn't a low-volume amp. Of course, you may prefer to drive an attenuator with a 15 watt amp than a 100 watt amp. Heats up the room less...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom