Plexi-style Heads: TopHat, Cornell, Germino...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Free, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Free

Free Member

Could you all give me your informed opinions and experience on these different makers heads in the Plexi style and how they compare? The TopHat "Emplexador", Cornell "Plexi" and the Germino "Lead" heads in particular. I'm leaning towards these makers - looking towards the 50 watt range too. Thanks!

2. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I tried them all, and they're all great amps, but I went with a Cornell Plexi 45/50 because it's the best Plexi clone I've heard. It really sounds like an old Marshall Plexi, plus you can reduce the power to 12watts, and it will take EL34's or KT66's.

3. Free

Free Member

Thanks very much for that Porterburst. I was leaning toward the Cornell and Germino, so could you give me your recollection of how those two compared in particlar?

4. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Can't go wrong with any of them. I have a Germino Lead55 and Greg G. is absolutely great to work with. The amp will also take KT66,6L6, and EL34 tubes (rebias obviously). If you want an effects loop, look elsewhere. But I absolutely love mine. I have not compared it directly with the Cornell, but against the TopHat I thought the Germino was more "vintage" sounding. My opinion only.

Good luck-

Steve

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind, the TopHat Emplex has a master volume - and it works really, really well.

=K

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I recently tried the Top Hat Empl. and loved it. Because I have a JCM800 & an OCD pedal I can come close to the Empl. tone with the boost on. Have you heard the VHT Deliverance with the gain toggle switch on "less" gain instead of "more" gain. That sounds a bunch like a JCM or a Plexi with a litle gain.

8. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the Germino-I've got a Lead 55, and it's the schnitzz-Great, great amp!!:dude

9. Free

Free Member

You know what guys - the Germino is looking like a really great way to go and about $600 less than the Cornell, which is a lot of cash. Please tell me more about your Germinos, and how the different Plexi models vary in tone - I like how the Club 40 looks too and am wondering how that amp compares with the 55... Thanks much!!

10. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Doesn't an amp with a master volume make it, by definition, less plexiish?

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I have owned an Emplexador and a Germino Club 40. The Emplexador is a very nice amp and is really quite versatile (vintage & modern modes, fat/bright switch, MV). The Club 40 has a particularly nice sound and feel to it, but you have to crank it up to get the goods.

12. Free

Free Member

Hi there, Riff. Well I definitely prefer the portability of a 2x12, as opposed to a 4x12, so I'm thinking I'll need to go with the Club 40, since I want to use two greenbacks. Do you happen to know how the Lead55 compares with the Club 40 too? I really have no interest in modern tones, so I don't need the versatility of the Emplexador. I like the medium-gain sound. Thanks!

13. Don L

Don L Member

I love my Cornell Plexi 45/50! Since getting that, I stopped yearning for old plexi amps...

14. riffmeister

The Lead 55 is a brighter, more aggressive 70s aluminum panel sound. It is also more watts than the C40.

15. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

You can save yourself some real money if you build it yourself and with kit quality as good or better then some the amps mentioned here. Check out Metroamp.com you won't be sorry.

16. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Keep the comments coming fellas.....I've got an Emplexador coming (nice match for my King Royale head :D ):BEER

17. Free

Free Member

Yah - I agree with this. I know that makers like TopHat and Roccaforte put effective master volumes on their Plexi designs, but I too believe that Plexi-style amps are ALL about dealing with the dynamics of pure volume and it's relation to overdrive, compression, and the like. It's like I don't believe you can have your cake and eat it too, when a master volume is put on a Plexi design - there's too much room to not sound Plexi enough. This is just my general inclination - I'm a purist to neurotic proportions...

18. riffmeister

:D :D :D

On the Tophat, if the master volume is dimed, it is effecively out of the circuit and the amp will have to be opened up to 'breathe', just like the real deal.

But I do understand your purist inclinations. And Greg Germino is right there to assist you. :) The Club 40 is the finest 'plexi' I've ever played; I also had a Classic 45, and that amp ain't too shabby either.

19. Free

Free Member

Thanks for your input Riffmeister. I've pretty much decided on the Club 40 into a the 2x12 with greenbacks, and really appreciate your feedback!

20. riffmeister

I predict you will be very happy! :)