1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Plexi tones and good cleans for 500 bucks or less?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMayerFan, May 22, 2008.

1. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

So I recently placed an order for a blackheart amp 15/7 watter 400 bucks. Great amp great deal, but after really GASing for a plexi tone I wondering if I should have went another route.

Is it possible to get a sound such as Andy Timmons for 500 bucks? I'm absolutely loving his new album resolution and I want to use it as a template to work around.

Any suggesitons?

Brandon

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I don't know about the 15/7w Blackheart, but I know the 5/3w Little Giant is more of a Vox-ish.....champ type tone....
    ....I love mine.

3. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Well I guess I should have been more clear. I know what the blackhearts sound like, I do enjoy their tones, but I am just curious if there is such an amp out there that can do the plexi tones.

Brandon

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the (now discontinued) Crate V50 palomino 2x12. Man it rocked my socks off for the money. turns out i prefer AC30 tones, but I still haven't played an amp as nice for the money. Big, 3-d cleans, and a plexi-tone stack, channel switching as well.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

you can probably find a vintage traynor for under $500

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

The Super Champ XD does a pretty damn good Plexi. $300. Add a beam blocker and a Ragin' Cajun and it is even better.

Plus, it has many great clean tones in it and several other excellent dirt tones. I think it is unbeatable at the price point. It made me a believer.

Mike

8. scott58

scott58 Member

I agree. I get some great stuff through my XTL and Valve Jr.

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

Yup.

I'd recommend a YBA-1A for great cleans and plexi tones in one box.

I snipped the brite cap on mine(a '68) and it's perfect, now.

Amp only set me back $200 ..:drink

10. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member