Plexi tones at lower volume - Which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Andrew., Apr 25, 2016.

1. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

I realize this has probably been covered several times in the past, but seeing as how we are seeing all kinds of new amps being manufactured all the time I figured this was worthy of bringing up again to see if anything has changed.

So, for playing at home, what low wattage amps can crank out sweet plexi tones at more reasonable volumes? When I say "reasonable," I just mean an amp with which you can achieve that sweet spot with without blowing the windows out.

What are my options? What do you recommend?

What's the best plexi amp for the at-home bedroom player?

2. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Anything clean with a Ramble FX Marvel Drive in front of it.

Cruciform, jdel77 and Figaro like this.
  3. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

4. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Member

Best thing you can do is use the real thing and get a great attenuator or similar device and pull the volume down from there. I have tried every possible scenario and have never been happy with anything when it came down to a lower powered solution and true Plexi tone. I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Fryette Power Station. Man, just yesterday we fired up the '71 Superbass and before our ears were blown out I routed it through the Power Station. Nothing changed except the volume. Dynamics, pick attack, chime, gain, feel...all perfectly intact but now with a totally controllable volume. It's not the cheapest solution but I've found nothing that can top it.

5. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Marshall 18/20 watt
    Blankenship 18 watt

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

Brunetti Pleximan is getting a lot of press these days.

7. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Seeing as 1/2 the sound is the output section being pushed as well as the preamp I'd get a low wattage clone or a 1 or 5 watt Marshall and crank the little bugger!

8. Tread

Tread Member

Marshall 2061X .

Red Planet likes this.
  9. schwa

schwa Member

I have a (20W) 2061x, and it's still 75% of the volume of a 50W Marshall. To do what you want, it has to be very low power. I won't say it's not possible, but I find it challenging to get NMV Marshall sound from an amp with a MV (I have a 2204).

The best I have found for plexi sound at home are the NMV Marshall 1 watt amps - the JTM1 and the JMP1. The JMP1 is a bit more "plexi" in its gain curve.

Brian and Tread like this.
  10. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

I thought for a minute that I had created this thread and forgot that I did it. Seriously...I have been going over this exact topic in my mind for a few days now, so I'm glad you started it.

I have a Splawn Super Sport (22 watts 6V6) that does hotrodded Plexi and JCM800 very well, and the loop master volume lets me get those tones at bedroom volumes. But, what I really have been looking for is non-hotrodded Plexi tones...very 60s and 70s early Marshall...NOT heavier gain.

Based on my reading old threads here and on other sites, I've been focusing on the Fargen Mini Plex. From the videos I have seen, it sounds perfect. You might want to look into these.

I did pick up a used Marshall DSL 15 head, and I have it in the shop for some mods to tame the high gain channel; but I won't know if it'll get me closer to the tones I want until I can crank it up. Hopefully, I'll have it back by the weekend.

Caprica likes this.
  11. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    The Marshall One Watters do it for me...

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Get some pedal recommendations, try some out and save a lot of money and effort to get a reasonable solution to an unsolvable problem.
    There is no replacement for db's.
    Blowing out the windows, making ears bleed or killing small animals (mythical cliches, all) will not happen.

13. samtheman

samtheman Member

Yes, here I play with 5w setting :)

gkoelling and highwaystar30 like this.
  14. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Get a 2204/3 and a 2x12 or 4x12 with Greenbacks. JMP or JCM is cool, just make sure it is stock. I'm into 70's classic rock. ...Zep, Purple, ACDC etc and I've owned a 74 Superlead, and I totally recommend the 2203.
    You will get decent bedroom volume tones, really good home alone tones and mindblowing gig tones.

CarmenC likes this.
  15. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Supporting Member

Germino Masonette? Might still be too loud for what you want. I'd get one of the 1 watt Marshall amps.

16. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

The 3rd Power Dream 50. It's small, affordable and the patented Hybrid master allows the tone and feel at any volume. There's a used one for $1350 at The Amp House right now. Just an FYI. If money and size are no object I'd get a Metro Plex and matching slant 212 with the Creamback Alnico's... Or of course you could get a Power Station and a Germino...

17. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So what's your benchmark for loud Plexi tones?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  18. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Going for a smaller amp may be cheaper. but is unlikely to be all that much quieter at home. I'd focus less on the number of watts and more on the volume reduction available (be it MV, or attenuator, or whatever).

dangeroso and BADHAK like this.
  19. Haz

Haz Member

If I would live in US wouldn't buy anything but Suhr or Friedman or Bogner. Combined with Fryette PowerStation you get anything you want. Would leave anything with EL84 and smaller irons out of equation. With such a great solutions for handling volume available now no need for smaller heads with everything compromised.

20. jasevenny

jasevenny Member

I would recommend the Fargen miniplex for low volume Marshall tones.

Bobby D and PlexiFuzz like this.