PLEXIDRIVE any good for PAGE sounds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

can you cop JP zep tones with the WAMPLER PD?

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

3. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

That's what I use mine for. Nice Marshall-style crunch that's really dynamic and punchy. It's got a nice bite as well. Good for LZII onwards.

Any particular Page tones you are going for?

4. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

nah none in particular just the general page vibe....i like how he gets his stage sound sustain with no real hint of fuzzy

5. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

It is way better for AC/DC than Zep. I didn't think it was very good for Page tunes, not enough gain on tap, "loose" bass (like a JTM45), very warm sounding. I'm sure its good for some Zep songs, but it wouldn''t be my first choice. Check out Lumpy's Stuff and even the Skreddy Screwdriver. Some tonebenders like the Scarab Deluxe would work well too IMO. The Lemon Drop and Liquid Lead I think can nail almost any Page tone you need.

6. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

On most songs Page didn't use a lot of gain actually. Occassional fuzz, but mostly OD.

7. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I know. But if you want that fuzz/OD sound he gets, the Plexi-Drive won't get you there. I should have said the "gain character" isn't the same, since the Plexi-Drive is modelling an amp that Page never used AFAIK. There is technically enough gain on tap in the Plexi-Drive, but it doesn't sound like Page's Super Lead like, for example, the Liquid Lead.

8. alguit

alguit Member

Among other features, Page's live tone was light on bass coming from the amp (the 4x12 cabs, of course, still added warmth and fullness to his tone)-he regularly knocked out that bass to make the midrange stand out as prominently as it did live. A pedal needs to be able to do this.

As for the Liquid Lead, I wish I loved it more than I did when I got mine...it was very nice, capturing some of the that Page flavor, but it is by no means a "snapshot" of that live Marshall tone...I come much closer with my old 7-knob Menatone King of the Britains, dump the bass, cranks the Presence a bit and keep the mid and treble knobs just on either side of halfway, depending on the guitar and amp used.

Alan