1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Plexidrive vs, Box of Rock demo soundclips

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hamfist, Jan 6, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

OK, I just received an Indyguitarist Plexidrive earlier this week, and felt I ought to demo it with a few soundclips. We seem to have at least 3 "which is the best Marshall in a pedal" threads every week, so the more soundclips out there to help folks decide, the better, IMO.

I have also put up some BoR clips I did a few months ago. However, the BoR and PD clips were done with the same guitar, same amp (Jtm45), cab, speakers, and mic placement, so hopefully there is some continuity. Oh, I also tried to use the same riffs as the BoR demos.

Plexidrive clips, all with different gain settings :-

1/ Plexidrive, gain at 2 o'clock - http://www.box.net/shared/static/svoui5s80g.mp3

2/ Plexidrive, gain at 12 o'clock - http://www.box.net/shared/static/2gkidsysww.mp3

3/ Plexidrive, gain at 10 o'clock - http://www.box.net/shared/static/p4nepkw2sw.mp3

4/ Plexidrive - gain at 8 o'clock - http://www.box.net/shared/static/fdxeply8k4.mp3

and for comparison, the BoR clips :-

5/ BoR mid gain (about 10 o'clock on the dial IIRC) - http://www.box.net/shared/static/6vavxu7mc7.mp3

6/ BoR heavy (gain about 2 o'clock on the dial IIRC) - http://www.box.net/shared/static/x99xmmnapu.mp3

I think it's probably fair to say that the BoR is a little smoother than the PD. I described the PD in another thread as a bit like a Jtm45 with a bit of Germanium fuzz in front of it. I'm not sure how accurate that is, as I'm no fuzz expert. The PD just sounds a bit more on the verge of being out of control. That is neither good nor bad, just different.
    Maybe I'm hearing a bit of Marshall 18W influence, as Brian W does state on the Wampler website that the PD was designed as a bit of a cross between a Jtm45 and an 18W Marshall. I wouldn't know about that as I've never played an 18W Marshall. If anyone could confirm, or not, whether these soundclips are a bit "18W-like" then I would appreciate it.

For me the sweet spot of this pedal is somewhere around the 10 to 12 o'clock gain mark. Please bear in mind that is just my opinion, others will certainly have different ideas.

In the end though, the PD is not really what I'm looking for. I think I'm looking for something rather more "polite" so I'll be moving it on.

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

OK. 48 views, no replies, no responses.
    I'm getting near my own personal best here. Come on guys, you can do it !! I'm counting on you !

3. JiMB

JiMB Member

Thanks for the clips.

I thought the BoR was a more convincing Marshall sound.

Jim

4. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

5. Renardm

Renardm Member

Hamfist, good clips. I also have the Plexidrive. Do you find that there is a lot of fuzziness when playing single notes on the low E and A strings?

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

What amp and guitar were you using?

7. PJH

PJH Member

Hey there Hamfist,

Both sounded pretty authentic bit I have to say that I prefer the BoR.

What guitar are you using for the demo?

Nice clean tone at the beginning BTW.

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

I have to disagree.
    As has been stated, the Plexidrive was designed as a sort of cross between a Jtm45 and an 18W Marshall. IMO, neither of these amps, nor the Plexidrive sound much like a Plexi (by "plexi" I mean Superlead or Superbass, SS rectified, EL34 Marshall).

9. hamfist

hamfist Member

Yeah, definately some fuzziness going on there !

10. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

About ready to purchase the BoR. Is the $199 version adequate? Or do I need to spend $320 for the hand painted version with the American vs. Asian chip? Thanks.

11. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

IMHO the Orange Tiny Terror sounds better for these type of sounds than OD pedals through a small amp. Most of my OD pedals are collecting dust in the studio since I got the TT. No it's not a pedal but it's not much more $$ than a couple OD pedals. Awesome small amp for classic rock tones. I'm not putting down these or other OD pedals- I have a ton of them- just saying the TT rocks!

12. ed84246

ed84246 Member

But none of them claim to be trying to sound like the Superlead and JTM 45s were made with Plexi panels before the superleads.

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Hey hamfist check out this clip of another plexi pedal. Nicest I've heard so far based on clips anyway.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/thorsgroove.mp3

This one is based on the actual Plexi amp circuit substituting transistors for tubes similar to the King of the Britons but with less total gain.

14. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I dig that BoR!

15. hamfist

hamfist Member

Agreed, a very nice plexi-like clip.

I can't quite understand how this thread has morphed into a Plexi pedal thread.:confused:. Yes, I know Jtm45's have plexiglass front panels, but the term "Plexi" is now generally accepted to mean a SS rectified, EL34 superlead or superbass amp.
    Neither of the pedals compared in the clips claim to be plexi-like (despite the plexidrive's name).

16. hamfist

hamfist Member

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

OLcircuits offers this pedal as a kit or a pre-built pedal. Its called the Thor and I've got the kit on the way. I'll post a review when I've finished it. I've got high hopes based on the clip. Its seems to have the Plexi bark I think the other pedals lack.

18. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I like the BoR for that JMT45 sound

19. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I think both pedals are very nice. I've never played through a Marshall amp, but I could be happy with either the PD or the BoR.

20. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

I have to say, the Plexidrive is a damned fine sounding pedal. Very exciting, very edgy, very power-pop. Sounds like it would work well in a mix. Thanks for all of your supportive comments about the BOR. Sometimes sounding more like a particular amp isn't necessarily what you need, though.