Plexidrive vs. Workingman's Blues vs. Box of Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dr.circles, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dr.circles

dr.circles Member

What do you think is the best out of the three? I'm playing a standard Strat into a '65 Twin Reissue.

2. dr.circles

dr.circles Member

Nobody weighing in here?

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

I doubt that there's many folks who have played all three.
    I have owned the BoR and the Plexidrive. I have a strong preference for the BoR out of those two.

4. teXum

teXum Member

Yeah, I guess not to many have tried out all three. Maybe they're like me: wanted to get the WMB, since they supposedly sound better than the others with Fender-type amp, but Menatones were backordered around here, so I got the BoR instead. And I've become really enamoured with the BoR, so I'm no longer interested in any other dirt boxes. Go figure...

5. Renardm

Renardm Member

I have have Plexidrive. I think it sounds great tone-wise but it can get really fizzy sounding when you play on the lower 3 strings. It almost has a fuzz tone to it. You can hear some of this fizziness on IndyGuitarists samples.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

That's a good thing if you're really trying to nail the JTM45/Plexi tone. I've been looking for something "different" like this. A lot of other boxes sound the same and similar to my amp (Rockerverb 50), but the amp's dity tone always wins out. For something really different the BOR, Plexidrive, etc. is really cool.

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I'm using a WorkingMansBlue through a BF Super Reverb and it does an excellent job of copping that JYM-45 chunk and thick bottom end. I've heard great things about the other two pedals as well so I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.