Plexiglass/Clearsonic for home use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Garnett, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Garnett

Garnett Member

Will these plexiglass shields help with volume at home or does it effect the sound too much. Can these be used along with attenuators, MV, etc... To keep the neighbors quiet.

Thanks for your input,

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I don't think volume of an amp can be considerably reduced in a tiny room like in a home with baffling. Amp shield only redirects... The sound has to go somewhere.
    Attenuators will just change the nature of the speaker's response with relation to natural breakup.

3. GasMask

GasMask Member

I suppose what is "considerable" is open to debate. It does have a noticeable and measurable effect though. When I place a cardboard "Tri-Fold" posterboard in front of my speakers for example, it knocks several dB off the sound level at my position in the room- and yes, I run a meter in my 20'x20' studio. I have not tried measuring from outside the room to see if it makes any difference at that location. Clearsonic + Sorbers looks like a good combo, but yeah, there are going to be limits without a fully sealed iso booth/room. There is a good demo video showing what level of reduction is possible like this.

4. Garnett

Garnett Member

Bump on this. anybody use this at home as a way to keep the "volume" under control?

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

This. I have the Clearsonic shield, and also their Sorber board that goes behind the amp. The plexi panel does very little by itself. It's helpful if you room is big and you normally stand right in front of the amp (so you're not in the beam any more). I presume the Sorber panel makes some difference if you're using an open back cab, and it absorbs most of the sound coming out the back, rather than reflected it around, but I've never taken DB measurements with vs. without.

Bottom line: Minimal change in volume.

Edit: Just remembered: The panel definitely changes the tone if you have it right up against the cab. With that, and the Sorber panel behind, you do get some real volume decrease, but you won't love the tone. So you put some distance between the cab and the panel. Your tone comes back, but so does (most of) the volume.

6. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

No, it will not be effective. All it does is redirect sound coming right out of the speaker. It is designed to reduce beaming, not reduce overall volume.

7. ctman64

ctman64 Supporting Member

Yes. They're great for dispersion control, but not volume reduction.

8. GasMask

GasMask Member

9. msoleno

msoleno Supporting Member

Like in the video, you can always make yourself an enclosure. But the shield by itself is made to reduce the beaming effect right in front of the amp. If you are worried about noise in another room it won't help, if you are worried about blasting somebody in the front row or bleeding into the vocal mix it will help.

10. Garnett

Garnett Member

Thanks guys, very helpful. Saved me $$.

Cheers

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Take that same design and build it out of sound absorbing material and you can knock a few DB off.

[​IMG]

12. stark

stark Supporting Member

Doesn't really reduce volume but it does save your ears from the direct sound pressure and helps a bunch if there are any other people in the room.

13. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

It helps prevent some beaming but nothing I would use at home to tame the volume.