Plimsoul Love

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chadjohneto, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Chadjohneto

Chadjohneto Supporting Member

The Plimsoul is the best feeling pedal I have ever tried. Vox ac15 and or a Star Nova. I just don't see or hear much about it. I bought a used one and the store salesguy told me it was a tonebender type pedal. I am glad he had no idea. Happy mistake!

2. lovesickmusic

lovesickmusic Member

3. djy8131

djy8131 Member

Use mine all the time

4. HBob

HBob Member

I really like it with the hi-cut around 3:00, the sustain around 10:00 and the stage 2 all the way up. Great gritty crunch.

5. jerrylee

jerrylee Member

just picked one up in the emporium. so far so very very very good. "amplike" is really dead on.

6. hardys

hardys Member

How is the low end? I've been looking for an OD pedal that doesn't lose a lot of bass.

7. Dave

Dave Member

I'm really liking the Plimsoul too. Using it for leads mostly, with the sustain around 11 o'clock and stage 2 at about 50%. It really sings.

@hardys, it's got full sound IMO. More bass than a TS, less than an OCD. Does that help?

8. strombie

strombie Member

Plimsoul is my pedal for leads. The sustain is perfect. I don't really stack it with other pedals, tend to use it by itself. I actually find it sort of similar to the Fulldrive but with more compression and gain.

9. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

i have been using this setting as well, its a great sound. Gotta say the Plim keeps on surprising me more and more, great pedal!

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

David Grissom is using one right now on his pedal board. He uses it to goose for solo's, using various PRS amps now with his DGT. His new CD, "Way Down Deep" has some killer tones! I talked to him on Facebook recently, and he likes the Plimsoul.

11. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

I disagree on the bold part after comparing a v.4 OCD with my Plimsoul thru 3 or 4 amps for about a week.

To me the Plim is fatter and bigger from head to toe on the spectrum. The OCD v4 is The Scorpions circa 1981 in a box, but I mean exactly. You can go right past that with the Plim on your way to 1000 other sounds. Both are great, the Plim doesn't have the bump, does so much more. Guitar personality is retained throughout the Plim's range. Strats remain strats, fatties remain fatties.

Plims are marvels of science. When funds allow I want to hunt down a super-clean beastie of an amp that I can front with a Plimsoul.

Plugging into a Plim for the 1st time was one of the more astonishing gear-related moments I've had. I used one with a bunch of amps, all kinds. A bunch of Zs, a 6505+, a TSA, much more .... Always created pure fudging magic.

It completely blew me away. I NEVER liked dirt pedals of any kind ever, and still don't.

Just that one.

Unless I want to play Blackout.

12. meterman

meterman Member

I love my Plimsoul, had an OCDv4 but the Plim bumped it easily. Even better at 18V, much better really. I run mine with gain relatively low, never above 11:00-12:00, volume as much as I can get away with :D , tone right at noon and with Stage2 hard clipping about halfway up. I love the way the hard clipping tightens up the pedal without introducing any harshness or fizz, really cool design IMHO. I've had a love/hate thing with Fulltone pedals since 1999 but I think he's on a bit of a roll, the OCD Plim and small box fuzzes are all very good stuff....

13. the fat one

it's a phenomenal BOOST

it's the best TS of all time

it's a RAT

the Hi-Cut is the most zenlike nipple I've twisted in all of pedal geekdom

loved all 4 of those things at 10 o'clock no matter the guitar / amp, me.

some foolish mortals sit in front of a Plim for the first time ready to hate it so that they can race home to the snuggly OCD waiting all wrapped up in its security blanket still warm from the dryer, so what do they do? They dial the Plim up like they would their coveted OCD and then **** their britches when the more powerful purple people-eating muh-fudgin WEREWOLF bites their face off so they wee all the way home and harumph on gear boards that the Plim ain't got much on their baby. Most haters gave it 90 seconds in the store or heed the mad science of Dude-Man Gear-Guy. Allow it.

14. the fat one

and how bout that secret trap door battery hatch?

the coolness factor is off the charts, from the design, to the reactiveness, to the versatility, to the color.

15. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

Plimsoul is great. I traded an OCD v4 for it and have not regretted it. I personally think the OCD has a wider range; it certainly does low gain better. However, the Plimsoul is alot better at med-high gain. At the higher gain levels, I felt the OCD had too much bass and not enough mids. The Plim seems perfectly voiced/EQ'd in that area. I have many different pedal makes on my board, but all the Fulltones that I own or have owned are perfect in a live setting, even though some of them may be a bit underwhelming at bedroom levels.

16. jetstrat

jetstrat Member

I got a plimsoul a week ago and love it!

17. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

18. hardys

hardys Member

That's a VERY strong statement that I hope is the same for me. I've NEVER had an OD pedal, other than the original SOV-1 that I remotely cared for. For small I gigs, I use a 25 watt 5e3 clone and I'd like a good OD pedal to use with. My local GC doesn't carry the Plimsoul, so I'm going to have to order one online without trying it out first.

Afte reading reviews here and listening to demos, I'm about to pull the trigger on one. I had an OCD for a few days and couldn't get it back to the store fast enough. Too steely and artificial sounding to me. My main amp is a Carol-Ann and the OD channel is a mixture of Marshall meets Dumble. I'm hoping I can get a similar vibe with the Plimsoul.

19. the fat one

the versatility was not obvious to me at first; be patient

it is, quite simply, super powerful; don't be surprised if you run everything at or below 9 o'clock, even with some knobs at zero. So many people don't realize that, and this pedal scares them away.

*way different* with single coils versus hummies. I often dialed up my dream distortion using a fatty guitar like a CS Wolfgang hardtail, and then later, with the same settings on the Plimsoul I would switch to a strat and forget the Plimsoul was on. Get me?

can't wait to get another, and a super clean and simple 1 or 2-knob amp for it, and a 112 with a high db speaker. During my Plimsoul days I was fronting a Dr. Z Route 66 into a variety of speaker(s) & cab(s), just getting my tone PhD. When funds allow I want to create another rig like that around a Plimsoul.

Fuller should get an award for that purple fudger.

20. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Selling my PLIMSOUL $125 Shipped, mint condition! PM me!

It's easily one of my favorite pedals ever and when I had my VOX rig it was absolutely essential to my sound, now with my newer orange setup it's not needed sadly....what an amazing pedal though, definitely my favorite distortion pedal.