• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pls. help!! Trying to open up an amp head (ibanez tsa)

bh.

hey guys!! need your help, i'm trying to open the ibanez tsa 15h head to try out different tubes, but i somehow can't get it to open... maybe the tolex is just too snug? anyway, i've removed all the screws but still can't open it. I just want to confirm if i need to open up the back side of it. Anyone have any success with this and maybe other similar heads? thanks for your help!!

p.s. i can see the tubes on the back, through the vent..

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
I'm sure the tolex is just tight if all of the screws have been removed. Nephew had a similar issue with a Champ 600. Is there any way to reach inside and push on the edge? That's all I had to do.

bh.

thanks for your response. :) i've used a thin flat screwdriver and then a metal ruler to pry it open, top and bottom are already loose, but the tolex on both sides are just too tight haha!!! i don't know how others were able to swap tubes...unless they had the combo version. Anyway, i'll keep trying.

bh.

okay!! finally managed to get it out...just had to remove the metal braces on the corners to allow the wood to open up a bit!! it's time to swap tubes :D thanks again!

dshobe

Gold Supporting Member
Here's a thought; try letting it get cold, then hit the sides with a blow drier. Idk, worth a shot.

bh.

haha! i actually thought of doing that, when i hadn't realized that the metal corners were the ones holding the wooden frame too tightly. thanks for your help again! I already replaced the tube, and it definitely sounds better and clearer with JJ ECC81/12AT7 on V1 .
Though changing the speakers to a Celestion G12 Vintage 30 was a more dramatic improvement to this amp!

dshobe

Gold Supporting Member
Cool, I've noticed speaker swaps to be much more dramatic tone changers as well. JJ's are great, have fun!

Top Bottom