Pls recommend a backup amp head

guit_lar

Using a Tweed Deluxe most of the time. I need something to use in case the Deluxe goes down at an inopportune time. I don't want to spend too much, and it should be small. Just a head; I can use the speaker in the Deluxe. Solid state would be fine, even preferable considering what I want it for. Sound should be reasonably good, but this wouldn't be my main amp. Just a backup, or maybe to feed the stereo output of a delay pedal. Should be loud enough to use with a drummer. Any suggestions? Again, don't want to spend a lot.
Thanks for any replies.

Multicellular

Quilter 101. Sounds pretty Fendery in the clean ranges. I don't try to oversell people on the overdrive, it sounds like a good pedal overdrive, not tube overdrive imho, but the cleans are rich and nice. However, pedal into it over unity, you'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from the same pedal into a cleanish tube amp. Plenty loud enough. If you are talking metal hard hitting drummer, look at the Quilter 'Blocks' instead. Even louder, but the 101 is plenty for a moderate drummer if you can use pedals for higher gain. I haven't needed the gain to be above 10 o'clock. Small enough to put in the pouch of many a gig bag.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I bring a Quilter 101 too. I make sure I have the proper cables (female 1/4" adapter to go to the speaker of a combo).

T Dizz

I haven't tried one, but I'm tempted to grab a $99 Hotone mini amp head thing. Some great demos out there.
HOTONE-MOJO-DIAMOND-5w-NANO-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-Fender-Tweed-inspired-tone-251868343360-2.jpg

guit_lar

I've seen these, and they look super cool. I just wonder if they would be loud enough to use in a band with a drummer. They say they are 5 watts.

I haven't tried one, but I'm tempted to grab a $99 Hotone mini amp head thing. Some great demos out there.
HOTONE-MOJO-DIAMOND-5w-NANO-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-Fender-Tweed-inspired-tone-251868343360-2.jpg

doc

Silver Supporting Member
You said you don't want to spend a lot. Look for a used Crate Powerblock for about $150. If you don't mind something physically bigger but want bulletproof and cheap, look for a used Peavey solid state head like a Supreme or XXL - also about $150. The Powerblock is better, but doesn't have quite the reputation for ALWAYS working. New, I'd look at the Boss Katana head.

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
I'd get an ethos. You can use it as an awesome od...then if things go down...just run a speaker cable out into a cab

Scafeets

Silver Supporting Member
Quilter. I got the ToneBlock 200 so it can be a backup for guitar, Bass, Keys or PA.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom