Plug Pedal In.... Lose Power To Whole Board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AHNUBISAKI, Jan 22, 2012.

1. AHNUBISAKI

AHNUBISAKI Active Member

Tonight I bought a new pedal. It has a 9v jack on the side. I use a 1Spot adapter and have 5 other pedals on my board. For some reason when I plug the jack from the 1Spot into this pedal, the whole 1Spot chain powers down. This pedal works fine when using a battery.

Can anyone diagnose this problem for me?

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

what pedal is it, the pedal? it might be different, in one way, like center positive or something, which will take out the 1spot, as its not isolated.

also, have you tried the same plug that you used for 'said pedal', and plugged it into another pedal?

3. AHNUBISAKI

AHNUBISAKI Active Member

Hartman 8va Octave. I did a little research and I see people are saying that it needs an isolated power supply. WTF is up wit dat? I have never encountered a pedal with this issue. Care to explain?

4. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Supporting Member

As it's a germanium fuzz it probably has a positive ground. Most modern pedals are negative ground, so when you plug the Hartman in you are shorting out your power supply. So you need to either use a battery, a power supply with isolated outputs, or something like the gigrig virtual battery which will isolate it from the rest of the pedals in the daisy chain. You need to check if it's negative or positive centre as well. I would drop Mr Hartman an email and ask him to clarify. I have a Hartman germanium treble booster and I am pretty sure that is positive ground with a positive centre on the power jack.

5. stekks

stekks Member

^^^
    What he said, you need a isolated powersupply or a virtual battery thingy.

Or keep your pedal first in line while using batteries. If you unplug the pedal it stops using power from the battery. Octave fuzzes don't use a lot of power, so your battery will be good for a looong time.