Plugged straight in yesterday....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dog Boy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Dam it sounded sweet. Even tho I've taken GREAT pains to maximize my tone thru my board (all TB with a couple of well placed and high quality buffers, great cables, Etc.) plugging straight in was a blast. Greatest gains were in touch and presence.

I do this every few months and I'm always knocked out by how much our tone changes with even a few pedals in line. I really envy the guys who can get it done with a nice fuzz and a booster. It seems that the more pedals you have the more you lose the tone you bought your amp for in the first place. Bummer........

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I'm in the same boat...I even just put my volume pedal in a bypass loop. I'm buying and selling buffers and preamps, trying to match up that straight in tone....and maybe get a little more.......and still use effects.....there's gotta be a way to have my cake and eat it too!!! :)

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

I had a similar experience this past weekend. Played a new place out of town and there just wasn't room for the board without making life uncomfortable for my bandmates. Put the board in the case and plugged straight in to the Two-Rock with 1X12 and dialed it in for very hairy clean. Damn it sounded so good! All tonal changes came strictly from the guitar controls (Gatton Tele), except for hitting the gain channel twice during the gig. May do that at the next gig just for the hell of it.

4. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

There's something to be said for good straight in tone but I don't think I could play a whole show with my 3-piece band that way.

5. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Pedals help me get the sound at the volume I need without having many amps. When I can make amp right size for room, straight in and pick attack and volume knob twists cover much ground.

Do like some mod and delay, though...

But straight in sounds/feels very good to me, too.

DS

6. donkers

donkers Member

i tried the effects route. ended up missing my raw rock tone of just straight guitar to amp so now i'm just running a TU-2 and SD-1 in my "chain". i might even end up getting rid of the SD-1 if i can get my DSL modded to be able to select which mode on the red channel.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I always set the amp right, and add in what is needed.

I've done loopers, TB, buffers, midi, and there is really just no substitute for just using less sh#t.

8. doublee

doublee Member

I like to hear players not pedals and if you aint an interesting player then no pedal will save you, in fact it just makes it worse... YMMV.

9. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

10. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes, it's just less cable. If you normally run a 10 foot cable to the board, and a 10 foot cable from the board, trying plugging "straight in" with a 25 foot cable..... just for the sake of comparison :)

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

My mileage varies...

I like to hear great music, great guitar, and I don't care how they get there. That said, in this old world, I believe I have noticed that most people, it is easy for it to sound like the pedals are playing the guitarist, when the other happens though, guitarist plays pedals (Hendrix was a great example of that) then it is fantastic, as is straight guitar often.

I find me perfect Hendrixy setup is pretty minimal, great amp, strat, fuzz, wah...other than that (I didn't say mimicing or jukeboxing him...playing in that style) I don't need an octave, or a vibe, but they can be fun too. I find the phrasing is way more important than the swirly or way out effects, but some phrasing needs a fuzz..as do some of the great clean rythm sounds, but can be done with a good amp with OD.

12. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

If you can do it without feeling like you're completely missing something (delay, for instance), why wouldn't you? It sounds to me like you don't really need your pedals.

I've been playing without pedals almost exclusively for several months now. When I feel like I need something or if I just want to make some noise I'll pull out the board, but that doesn't happen too much these days. Tele through a clean amp with the reverb up around 7 is all I really need.

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

that is why we are blessed with line selectors and loop switchers :)

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

I hear you. That particular gig was with a band that has a wide range of material, and one I play mostly rhythm. Given the club (small town road house type place - great crowd, decent pay, big fun) I knew the material would slant towards straight ahead rock and blues, and the jazz/jam stuff would probably not make an appearance. Easy gig to do straight in. I did miss the Leslie sim and trem at times though. Usually with that band it's small board with 7 pedals (OD's, delay, trem, vibe, Leslie sim).

With my other band more diverse tones are needed to play many of the parts, and I solo A LOT more in it. The board for that band (just completed) is 10 pedals, but truthfully I could get by with 3 or 4 - nice to have options though.

15. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i mix it up. and i go through phases. i love playing the guitar but i also love nerding out with effects. sometimes i'll strip it down to just the amp--and appreciate the joy of a great sounding tube amp. othertimes (most of the time) i explore the joy of using cool effects.

i've kind of always looked at Amp-only:effects is analogous to Sober:Stoned. using effects is a ton of fun, but you spend most of your time noodling around never getting anything accomplished. i always feel more productive just playing through an amp--but just being productive can also get kind of boring.

but i concur with the original poster--after playing through a heavy effects board for a long time, going back to just a guitar/cable/amp can be quite a revelation.

16. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I use a Fulldrive.

Les Paul (R8 w/Antiquities)->Fulldrive II (non flat mids)->SFDR w/JBL D120

otherwise I'd hafta turn up the amp volume a bit too much.

nothing else. LP->FDII->SFDR.
    [​IMG]

17. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I do the exact same thing Brutha!(o Sista)

18. pboudreau

pboudreau Member

Heretic! A pox on your house!:eek: