PLUS Pedal - piano style sustain and more

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ruiner, Jan 18, 2017.

1. BallaBalla

BallaBalla Member

The tremolo effect only occurs when you press the pedal at the same time you play a note. I just hit the pedal a bit after that moment and there's no "tremolo". It's very intuitive for me. Hope that helps.

2. TrueFifth

TrueFifth Member

Thanks a lot, that actually even makes sense. ;)

3. Chrishash

Chrishash Supporting Member

I know this is an old thread but out of curiosity, how many of y’all kept your Plus Pedal? I’m still curious and have the money currently. I don’t use my Freeze as much as I used to but I think it’s mostly because I got sick of the EHX digital organ sound- thanx in advance to whoever can reply

4. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I've kept mine, and like it a great deal: for adding ambient elements to otherwise mostly clean guitar it's very usable (and doesn't give me that 'EHX digital organ' effect - although it's own FX loop opens up a lot of possibilities that I'm still exploring). I think a deciding factors for me are the two-stage pedal to control the volume of the held note (it's not a simple on/off/switch) and the ability to stack held notes. One of these days I'll learn enough from barbershop signing friends to learn how to shift chords by changing one note.

brou likes this.
  5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I still have mine, but I don't use it that often.
    My Ventris with the "hold" function has replaced it.
    I have a friend who is interested in buying mine, if I decide to sell it.
    Plus Pedal is an amazing pedal for what it does: and it doesn't alter the tone of any instruments I have use it with:
    mandolin and lap steel, and guitars.

6. Chrishash

Chrishash Supporting Member

I just got mine and am super happy though it’s obviously still the honeymoon phase. I loved my Freeze because I don’t really enjoying playing leads over nothing- the drone was a huge help but this is a whole new ballpark. I actually really LIKE the glitch aspect of hiring the Plus too soon- in my opinion it beats the hell out if programmed or random glitch pedal. I’m getting some amazing sounds, but yes the sound of the Plus beats the hell out of the digital organ drone of the freeze and the 2 levels is a huge help. I’m excited to explore more, I just got a Southampton Utility Knife and I think y’all gays gonna be perfect for the efx loop. Either way, this is a keeper. The functionality and the feel of the tongue/spoon is outweighing my shallow awkwardness of its aesthetics. Actually starting to dig it. Do you put it first in signal chain or after tuner.

7. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

I found one used for $225. Should I snag it? What are opinions on it from owners 3 months later?

brou likes this.
  8. brou

brou Member

great pedal, love it! :)

Befuddled likes this.
  9. RumDiary

RumDiary Member

Anyone have a link to a power supply that works for this?

10. HipUncle

HipUncle Gold Supporting Member

Any center-negative DC 9 volt supply should work as long as it's got enough milliamps. If I recall the pedal needs 200ma. If you give it the 100ma that a lot of multi-output supplies offer, it will start up, but will not function. Mine is being powered off a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Mondo.

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I just got mine in the mail last night, thanks to Perfect Circuit's Memorial Day sale. My humble Visual Sound One Spot w/ daisy chain powers it just fine. Also just found this thread. First 20 pages is just peeps talking about waiting for their orders, so they can be safely skipped. ;)

After reading reports about audible looping in the audio - what some of y'all call "tremolo" - I had to hear for myself just how "bad" it could be. It does indeed depend on how long you wait between plucking a note and pressing down on the piano pedal, because if you press too soon, you include the sound of the pluck (attack), hence the choppy sounding loop. The sustained tones are much smoother without the attack. If I come across a phaser pedal on sale though, I'd like to put it in the effects loop. I got the idea from listening to Dreadbox Abyss demos - that's a synth whose built-in phaser adds a lot to the pad sounds.

I tried to get the sound of certain Debussy piano pieces, wherein an arpeggio/pentatonic scale/etc. is played fairly quickly while a damper or sostenuto pedal is held down and the result is a sustained "pad" on the piano. The result was failure in that I got a bunch of choppy looped tones. But it was just the first session. Maybe the right combo of settings in Group mode will get me closer to that Debussy sound.

I mentally flirted with the idea of selling my Infinite Jets but decided against it. The IJ's Blur, Glitch and Synth modes are different enough to complement the Plus. The VFE Klein Bottle wll make it easier to use the two pedals together, once I receive it.

12. HipUncle

HipUncle Gold Supporting Member

Anyone else have an issue where it fails to find a loop? It seems like if I step on the pedal fast, it may not find a loop, especially if it doesn't already have a loop going. If I'm slow and deliberate in stepping on the pedal, I have more luck. It's almost like the pedal needs to wake up or something.

13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yeah, the pedal doesn't work so well when you step on it too soon.

One of the reasons I'm keeping my Infinite Jets

14. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Anyone use this in a wet/dry rig?