"PM" Brand EL84 Tubes, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stratman_el84, Mar 17, 2008.

1. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

I happened to be browsing tube sales websites and ran across TubesDirect.com and saw they had PM EL84 tubes there for $18.95 for a pair.

This is what the info on the site said about those EL84s:

"This super version can be pushed harder than the original to produce more power and wider dynamics whilst maintaining that classic EL84 sound."

Anyone have experience with these tubes? Are they any good? Being so cheap, I ordered a pair. Just was wondering what they were like, as I had never ran across them before. If they're really poor-quality, I'll make sure not to risk trying them in a vintage/valuable amp in case they fry right off.

Thanks!
    Cheers!
    Strat

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    PM is a brand name, not a manufacturer. It's difficult to tell from the photo who these were made by. Definitely one of the usual suspects though, EH, Sovtek, JJ, Chinese...etc.

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

They are chinese and I've used them in 18 watt amps.They sound just fine.

4. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

That looks like PM Components, Ltd. house brand of relabeled Shuguang tubes. They also brought you Ei tubes with gold pins, the Ei Elites. Same tubes, great marketing!

5. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

Well I was planning on following this up with a report on what I received, but outside of an automatic order confirmation e-mail, I've been unable to get any response whatsoever from TubesDirect.com. Order was placed 3/14. They promise order shipment in 24-48 hours. They haven't charged my CC, phone goes to a full ("Memory full..Please enter passcode") voice-mail system, no response to my multiple e-mails to any of the departments' e-mail addresses listed. :bkw

I wonder what's up? Have they closed up shop and not pulled their website? Were they all abducted by anal-probing aliens? Anyone have any information? Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Strat