POD 2.0...still does the job

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Karl Houseknecht, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

A drummer friend of mine that owns a studio called me over to take a look at his POD 2.0 that his son gave him, and help him get a good sound out of it. The band that was coming in was a blues group, and the rhythm guitarist was used to playing a Jaguar through a Bassman head.

I turned on the POD, selected the Bassman model, spent 30 seconds dialing the EQ knobs...

And it sounded great. Not just good. Great. Exactly what the guitarist was going to need.

The interface is simple, there's no deep tweaking, the effects are good enough. And it got me to thinking...here we are in 2019 arguing over why this modeler or that modeler (or profiler) "blows away" the competition, when like 20 years ago this tiny kidney bean device with such limited options gives really great recorded tone.

We. Are. Spoiled.

2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Interesting video on this subject actually

Moe45673 and mikah912 like this.
  3. Mark Shumaker

Mark Shumaker Supporting Member

Karl, I agree with all of that. I have the Pod Pro rackmount and the original floorboard that went with it and that’s one bit of gear I will always keep. It probably hasn’t been powered on in a decade but good tones in there for sure. I’ll now be wanting to fire it up soon...

edwarddavis and mbenigni like this.
  4. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I have a Pocket Pod also, that I use for traveling when I want to bring a guitar. It's great for that- guitar/Pod/cable/earbuds/1/8 cable to iPod. That's a complete practice studio rig.

I have to say, the video above is a bit ridiculous to me. To babble on and on about a products' form factor, and about it's increasing complexity level is just silly to me. Any of the Pods are pretty easy to navigate with a person of average intelligence, and there are always presets for the toaster level maroons out there.

MojoRisin likes this.
  5. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

I still use my boss gt-1 and tonelab se. In fact i bet they both would sound great theu the line 6 2-12 stereo cab thing but 1400.00?? Would rather just buy a new modeler like fractal fm3

6. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Impossible. You didn’t use an IR, so there’s no way it sounded good:rolleyes::p:D

7. Karl Houseknecht

:D We really are spoiled, aren't we? Literally thousands of different cab and mic combinations and we're picking out nuances and pronouncing them "bad". It was really an ear opening experience tonight.

B Money likes this.
  8. Blinkon

Blinkon Member

For me, what really hurt the XT through HD lines was the cab and mic models. Whenever I used them live, it was always through the power-amp in of a tube combo, with the cab and mic models turned off. It was pretty hard to get a decent tone going direct. But take the cab/mic models out of the picture and it sounded quite nice. If the HD500X had an IR loader, I’d probably still be using it for direct stuff.

9. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

Near field or far field?

:anon

FlyingsCool, mikah912 and JiveTurkey like this.
  10. Karl Houseknecht

I always found the POD 2.0 tones to be very satisfying through an amp and cab. Take the original Spider Valve amp. I loved that thing. Based on POD 2.0 models. The Spider Valve MKII based on X3 models? Not so much. Actually thought it sounded pretty awful by comparison.

Blinkon, blackmonday and mbenigni like this.
  11. Tripper

Tripper Member

A lot of baseless assertions and a lack of knowledge about the history of the products and the company, but overall I appreciated the fact that he tried them all.

Having owned all the beans except HD (I had transitioned into using floor versions after X3 Live came out, so I have HD500), I personally get the most out of the X3 bean ($100 on craigslist) because it offers so much variety and sounds pretty fantastic. The original POD (mine's still a 1.4) is classic and amazing, except for all the features you couldn't tweak without SoundDiver (or PatchWizard, yo!) and the XT was great until the X3 came out with the better chip. It took a bit to get used to that interface, but once I did, I liked it better than the XT.

This guy is pretty uninformed, though. YouTubers can be so lazy about researching their videos...I'm embarrassed for them.

Tmidiman likes this.
  12. dazco

dazco Member

My problem with them wasn't the sound so much, but they felt stiff like a bad 70s SS amp. I'm stumped how anyone wouldn't notice that unless maybe those who use a tone of gain all the time. I suppose it might be acceptable in that case but not sure.

fr8_trane and hotrats73 like this.
  13. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I've played tons of gigs and recorded hours of music with a pod 2.0 and the floorboard. Did the job really well, indeed

For gigs I used to send left channel to a marshall combo FX return for stage monitoring and right channel to FOH.

What was really off was the feeling and response compared to real amps.

I kept mine for more than 10 years and was really beated but still working.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  14. kyolic

kyolic Member

So all we need is a POD 2.0. Good to know.

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Member

I have a pod pro and I still quite like it into a tube power amp with the cab sims disabled. So easy to use, and there are a lot of cool tones in there. It even takes an overdrive well enough, though you need to keep the level at unity or it clips the input.

The key to getting a good sound into a power amp and cab is the AIR or cabinet tuning settings (I forget what they called them, it’s in the manual). Gotta set it to ‘stack power amp’ or something like that. It defaults to ‘combo front’ under the assumption you’re gonna run it into the input of a clean channel. Basically sounds like a distortion pedal on that setting.

16. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

When I got my POD 2.0 about 20 years ago to the day I was blown away. That was the first time my tone ever sounded huge. I actually sounded like my heros. Nothing has impressed me as much as that initial play with the POD 2.0 because it set the mark. Before that I only played through cheap SS amps with no effects. I've been disappointed with every other Line 6 product I've tried since but still have a love for them because of the POD 2.0. My Stomp was the most disappointing initial play modeler I've ever used but I've since been able to dial in some nice tones, I just like my other modelers better.

It was good enough for Troy Stetina to record his Metal Series and that is some of the best hard rock tone I've ever heard. Glad I still have mine.. I need to dig it back out and try it again.

17. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

That's... not what that post said.

larry1096, Markdude and mbenigni like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Lee makes some good comments about the POD starting around 18 minutes in this video. Rob is rolling his eyes because he has to have the other branded gear. "20 year old pedal still holds up" and "when the gear companies ask me at NAMM what we should make next I tell them to make one of these!".

I own a POD 2.0 and I do think the form factor is a lot goofy -- better knob organization and put it in a rectangular pedal board friendly case, plus run on standard Boss type power input to again work with a typical pedal board.

mbenigni and sixesandsevens like this.
  19. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

Somebody go make some pod 2.0 profiles for Kemper!!!

theRagman, Elric, T Dizz and 2 others like this.
  20. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I wonder if that outlandish form factor contributed to it's longevity and impact. I'm assuming they didn't expect folks to want it on a pedalboard. I don't even recall if pedaltrain was a thing in those days. There was that one Boss suitcase thing... But going direct? Pedalboard culture? Not mainstream at that point for sure.

I love that the first modelers were cheap. Super grateful for that, esp. on those days.

sahhas likes this.