POD 2.0...still does the job

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Karl Houseknecht, Aug 1, 2019.

1. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Reeves Gabriel’s did the duo album with Bill Nelson a few years ago and used his original POD and an overdrive for all his sounds on the album, I’ve heard parts of it, sounds good to me

2. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I liked the POD. Couldn’t stand anything between that and the Helix.

3. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I think I remember seeing some out there when I had my Kemper?

JiveTurkey likes this.
  4. pomfret

pomfret Member

I played for eight years (+2000 shows) in theater pits with different modelers, and in the end I always came back to the POD 2.0, which did 90 % of the job.

mbenigni, Jchrisf and sahhas like this.
  5. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I was an original POD bean user, and that thing was magic for me as a young guitarist. Plug in headphones and fly away to a magical place. One of the coolest new purchases I've ever made, considering there was really nothing like it at the time. Loved the manual that talked about the intricacies of each amp.

Got the PODxt when it came out and enjoyed that as well, including the huge update L6 did towards the EOL where they dumped in all the Vetta amps via model packs. That cascaded into gearbox and the plugin package.

The PODHD500 was one of the worst experiences I've had with a software based device in terms of product lifecycle management. Adopted early against my better judgement hoping the tones would get better and more amps would be added. A VERY small handful of amps were eventually added, the cabs and mics sounded awful, and after realizing development had stopped after a year or two, I dumped it and the rest of my L6 gear.

Im slowly and cautiously getting back on the horse with an HXFX in my live rig and Native.

6. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Seemed to line up pretty well with all of this https://line6.com/timeline/

Ryan's vids are some of the most thorough and well informed on YT, he's far from the laziest Youtuber out there.

7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I wasn't going to respond to the post you quoted (as I have no "horse in this race") but pretty much all of this.

Leon Todd likes this.
  8. DallasD

DallasD Member

All this nostalgia made me think of an idea. I have a Powercab+ on the way and also have a POD 2.0 sitting in storage. I'd like to experiment with the POD 2.0 on "no cabinet" and see how it sounds into the PC+ speaker models.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  9. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

I agree with OP. Almost a year ago, when Eleven Racks were being blown out, I picked one up to "upgrade" from my 2.0 Bean. I do all my home practicing playing through my computer with headphones. Amp-tone-wise, the Eleven rack is not better than the Bean, though I like the effects in the 11R better and the fact that I can use it as an interface is the icing. But, man, I can't bring myself to get rid of my Bean. When/if my niece moves from acoustic to electric guitar, I'll give it to her.

The AC30 models in the Bean are among my favorite tones EVER.

pomfret likes this.
  10. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I wish i still had mine.. I used to gig with it all the time.

11. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Should sound pretty good, I think.

12. Blinkon

Blinkon Member

Agreed. I kept my 1st-gen spider valve, and not my mkii, for that reason. It’s like they left the cab and mic modeling on with the mkii’s even when running through the guitar speakers.

13. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Same here. Original Pod rocked! XT was stiff. X3 was better. Tried the HD Pod and it was crap. First time I was unimpressed with a modeler.

Every 2 years I’d try an HD again. Terrible. Finally they were giving them away, so I got one and tried to figure out what was wrong. The power amp section sounds like a model of a defective amp. Bypass it and HD preamps and effects sound good. Sadly, there were other problems with HD.

Still today the original Pod rocks. No wonder the original algorithm, or close to it, is still being sold.

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Why do I have gas for a Pod 2.0 now ? :mad:

I used to work at a Mars music, and on my breaks, I would always go to the Pod Pro we had set up, turn on the JCM800 model, with some delay, and riff/jam out. Constantly.

15. TheTrueZoltan!

TheTrueZoltan! Member

Last week I went to the music store to check out an Ibanez AZ I was interested in (great guitar BTW, but too dark sounding for my taste...). They still have a couple of POD 2.0s with headphones standing around and playing through one of them reminded me how much I liked the „Modern High Gain“ (Soldano) model back in the late 90s / early 00s. I immediately felt „at home“.

Would be great to get those POD 2.0 models for the Helix. Wouldn‘t that be possible, @Digital Igloo @Frank Ritchotte ?

Oh, and speaking of the POD 2.0 / POD Pro... does anyone know if its editing software is compatible with the current macOS?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Ingolf likes this.
  16. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

We are spoiled
    Me too
    I got mine

17. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

In regards to the hardware and what it does, this video has so many errors it should be banned immediately.

18. alivegy

alivegy Member

I still think that the original pod’s emulation of a jcm800 is one of the most faithful to the actual amp. I now have two 800’s partially based on how much I liked the Pod version of it. Most models of the 800 have the gain that people think that they have, not how much they actually have.

mnemonic and Karl Houseknecht like this.
  19. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Heck, Line 6 should bring out a special run batch of "Pod 2 - after years finally the appreciation it deserves" units.
    They'd sell in tons.
    I'd buy one, too, because I miss my Pod 2. Should never have sold it.

20. Alter

Alter Member

I've had all the early pods, stayed with the XT. I liked the compactness, they were cheap and had decent tones. I only sold my XT cause it was getting old and I felt worried about using it on jobs.

But replacing it with an (also cheap) Boss Gt-1, the evolution in electronics is very evident, much better sounds now. I know there's Axefx, fractal, Kemper, etc, but the cheap mfx units do have their place.

Here's two old videos of me playing through the Pod Xt, directly into a looper and then to the sound system. Not bad a sound! Guitar is a dirt cheap stock Steinberger spirit as well.