POD 2.0...still does the job

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Karl Houseknecht, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Agreed. A waste of time and so depressing.

2. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

The power amp modeling on the HD was way overdone. It was like every master volume amp was modeled with the master on 8-10. I hated it. I didn't even like the Helix at first until a few revisions down the line where the modeling improved. Now it's just as good as my Axe-Fx....for my usage. There was a time period there between the first firmware version of the XT and the early Helix firmware where the "POD" line was like an angry teenager, all arms and legs and zits and just ugly to look at and talk to.

The POD 2.0 is still a cool little unit and it will get the job done, but it's not taking my Helix away from me.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    pomfret, sixesandsevens and Tmidiman like this.
  3. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Love that analogy!

It’s a shame the last Pod went out as the best and worst of itself. It could of had a happy ending to a great device. It would have ended as a classic with respect instead of that uncle no one wants to talk about.

4. Mark Shumaker

Mark Shumaker Supporting Member

Reminded me of a very popular cover band in my area where the guitar player used one of the original Flextone heads into a Marshall 212 for YEARS! He’s a totally pro player so could probably get by with about anything but it always sounded really great. I’m sure you can pick those up for cheap now if there’s any still around.

sixesandsevens and Jchrisf like this.
  5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Nico, where you been??

6. Thorti

Thorti Member

Pod 2.0 was great when it came out. Still is a good device, if you are not used to use the guitar volume to control your amount of distortion.

7. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Got any tutorials on doing this?

8. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Whoops! Sure did. Master volume amp!

9. Elric

Elric Member

The OG POD got me into modeling, it was a revelation at the time.

I really liked the XT back in the day for what it was. I still have POD Farm set up as a plugin... That is my favorite “POD” era. the POD2 was always trying too hard to sound “warm” and rolled off too much for me.

L6 languished a long time before HX. I tried an HD for a while but by then I had an AxeFx and there was no turning back, I liked the 2 and XT better than the HD.

Now that L6 have IR support they are competitive again.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  10. samuraijackson

samuraijackson Member

Still use my Pod 2 (I have two of them) from time to time. Easily my favorite piece of gear ever. I think that the guy behind the original pod was some kind of genius who worked on this project and then went beck into his secret lab cave.

Line 6 should sell the Pod 2^2, and by this I mean same form factor, knob based, with today ADDA converters, same good old amp models and improved cabinets.

Tmidiman likes this.
  11. twotone

twotone Member

I've got the POD XT. I like its Marshall sound more than the 2.0. The 2.0 sounds trebly and thuddy, while the XT has that honky 412 cabinet tone that I like.

12. scott58

scott58 Member

Interesting. I like the HD alot better then the XT.

PJH and Hank Habanero like this.
  13. Tripper

Tripper Member

Ah, jeez...come on. I didn't call him the laziest YouTuber. This one (the only one I've watched) missed the mark for me.

And amusingly enough, even the Line 6 timeline here kinda has its facts wrong. The original POD came with 28 amp models, not 16. You just used the SoundDiver software to access all of them via MIDI.

But I guess only old fart Line 6 originalist fanboys remember stupid crap like that, I guess. You know...I guess sometimes you just had to be there, maaaaan... :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Tmidiman likes this.
  14. Tripper

Tripper Member

I just thought of something based on a few other posts talking about re-releasing a POD 2.0 (which they've actually already done once to make them compatible with the FBV series foot controllers) - how tiny would the resource use of the TubeTone models be in comparison if they were to make them available on the HX platform?

15. Hank Habanero

Hank Habanero Member

So do I. I don't understand how ANYONE can like the 2.0 or XT better. :p

scott58 likes this.
  16. scott58

scott58 Member

After I got the HD bean, I got another one, got an HD500, Special 6, Laney Lionheart L5, and the Supro amp model lead to a Supro Black Magick, Butler Tube Driver, Big Muff Pi all because of the huge improvement in my tone from that Bean. Yeah, I went a bit nuts, but I have never been happier with my gear.

Oh got a Monoprice and a Bugera T5 also, but only because I can't pass up a cheap tube amp. Good times.

17. The Funk

The Funk Member

The original POD was like magic when it first came out. It was the first modeler that really sounded good in headphones. It did not stack up live however (this may be user error with the cab settings too, but it was widespread).

In 2000 though, there was nothing so impressive as that red bean. I still have mine. Rarely use it, but its there.

18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I put many, many hours of use on my POD 2.0 playing live... Our church used to have these extended worship nights every week back then, and it wasn't uncommon for us to play for three hours. For most of those services I was using the 2.0. I really can't complain very much about it. It served my very well. I used it mainly as an amp replacement and ran my pedalboard into it. I had a lot of people (mostly other players) come up and ask where my amp was back then as going direct with guitar was still kind of a novel concept to a lot of people. We used IEMs most of the time back then, too.

I also like the way the 2.0 worked in front of an amp. I used mine in front of my Vibroverb quite a bit back then.

19. handyman

handyman Member

Man, I remember uses those. They had some pretty big limitations in the types of convincing tones it could generate, but there were lots of great sounds in those things if you were willing to work within what the units were good at.

I'm not going to sell my modern modeling rig to buy a vintage Pod 2, but I think they are awfully impressive given the technology and price points they had to work with when they were designed.

20. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

It might be possible with a lot of work; after all, we ported a custom POD 2.0 model into an HD Model Pack. However, the public is a lot more forgiving of older effects than they are of older amp models. IdeaScale it.

TheTrueZoltan! likes this.