POD 2.0 vs. POD XT

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Goku13, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Has anyone recorded with both of these? I was just wondering if the XT was markedly better than the 2.0. I used to have a 2.0, and was not real happy with the final results, but now that I have more recording software, and tinkering with some old tracks, I was thinking I might be able to tweak it more to sound better. It would really add some variety to my recordings if it DID work.

So, I guess I was wondering if the XT was better or should I just find a used 2.0?

Does anyone know what the differences are, sound quality-wise?

I have been using a Hughes and Kettner tubeman for my guitar recordings, and while it sounds great, it is only ONE sound...

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

XT was better than 2.0; then when they updated XT last fall, IMHO, POD 2.0 was surpassed completely in every way.

IMHO.

3. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Hey Scott....not to hijack my own thread, but what happend to all your PRS guitars? You used to have a few thousand of those!

4. OneMileWish

OneMileWish Guest

The latest version of the POD XT is markedly better than the 2.0. I'm really impressed with it!

5. Scott Peterson

Well, not to carry on the hijack, but times and needs/wants change.

Nothing more. No vendetta or "anti-PRS" thing from me; just using different tools now.

6. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Is it easy to install the upgrade? I guess I'll find out in 10 minutes when I get one but still...lol.

And, Scott, cool, I totally understand what you mean about gear and needs changing...

7. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

Line 6 Monkey makes upgrading the POD XT (Live in my case) very easy. I upgraded my software the day I bought mine. It's purely a studio piece for me, so I use Guitar Port to edit and store all of my settings. So that's a very cool download as well.

On a side note, I didn't start getting along with my POD until I realized that it doesn't sound like an amp. It sounds like an amp that has been mic'd up. It's not perfect but it is pretty good.

JT

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Can XT settings now be saved and tweaked via MIDI the way the old Pod could?

9. Scott Peterson

Don't need midi to tweak settings or save them. It runs USB straight to the 'puter. Save, tweak, whatever at will.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Cool. Thanks.

Can it do speaker simulation only?

11. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Wouldn't take much to research on your own,, no?

(ducking)

...couldn't resist.;)

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    HA ha!:D We love ya Michael!;)

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Touché, Dickhead.

(I don't mean that in a bad way...) ;)

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Alright smartypantses...

No answer to this question on the site nor in the user manual. Unless the lack of an answer is itself an indirect answer, in other words that it can't be done.

Do any of you know for certain if the amp simulation can be bypassed or not?

15. Goku13

Goku13 Member

The cabinet "AIR" simulation can be turned off by the touch of a button. If that's not what you are talking about, than, uh, its 3am and I am too tired to think about it anymore right now lol.

I have to say the XT sounds a LOAD better than the old POD did. I still will hafta run a high pass filter to get rid of some of the low end mud, but the treble is a lot nicer than the 2.0, so that is awesome. :D

16. Scott Peterson

Guys, you are wrecking my theory about full moons and moodiness. Cut it out!

Ahem.

Michael,

Here is a rub with that. If you use cabinet sims; you get mic sims. You cannot remove just the mic or just the cabinet; "AIR" is both mic and cab combined.

You can turn off the "AIR".

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Thank you. That I gathered from the manual. But my question is, can you turn off the amp sim and keep the "AIR?"

Here's the whole story: I have an old Pod Pro 2.0 on which the amp simulation can't be bypassed. Sometimes it's good in a layered track, but I only like certain amp models and the rest are "eh..." at best. My only tube amp is a Rivera Chubster 40 which I like a lot, but I'd like more variety without blowing a fortune on real amps. Plus when I'm in the heat of a creative moment I like to set up quickly.

I'm thinking of running the Rivera's speaker output into a Hot Plate, then into the Pod XT for speaker simulation only to record direct. But if I feel like it, maybe use the Pod XT for everything. Therefore, I'm thinking if the XT can be used without amp simulation, it would be very useful to me.

By the way Scott, "Dickhead" is a NY term of respect and endearment. I believe Conor knows I meant it only with the utmost love.

(and in case he didn't, I hope he does now!)

18. Scott Peterson

Well, there you go. Damn East Coasters. Sigh. :D:D:D

The answer to your question then, is *yes* you can run the cab/mic "AIR" without using the amp sims.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

And there we have it. Thank you. :)

20. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Absoulutely.

I even have an old tune we used to do called 'Dickhead' (in 15/4, no less). So, uh, YEAH!