Pod, guitar, mixing, help needed

Is there any chance to get a Pod or guitar rig to sound organic?

Do u guys have any tips

I want just a traditional super reverbish kinda tone in
The mix... Or bassman

I think they sound the same all the tones I get

I got Pod 2.0 and guitar rig

I play only strats and live in an apartment

Here u can look at some videos to help u understand what
Kind of tones I am looking for

www.hightones.se

loudboy

IME, if the exact sound coming out of a digital modeler isn't the exact sound that works in the track, it is almost impossible to EQ it so that it works.

It's like big chunks of the sound are missing, or something.

I'll use them for secondary or accent parts occasionally, but generally will use a real amp for the main parts.

Scottunes

What sound are you looking for? Is the guitar all by itself? Hard rock? Surf clean with reverb?

To begin, search through the available guitar sounds and find one you like. Record that. Likely, you'll need to remove some lower frequencies to fit with the drums and bass. If too shrill or strident, trim upper mids and higher freqs...

There really is no formula other than using your ears. Try not to "marry" your results... Let it sit at least over night, and listen the next day... Take notes, because it's difficult to remember everything, and becomes more stressful trying to balance all the info in your head.

When you record yourself, you wear a minimum of 3 "hats." One for the artist, one for the recording engineer, and one for the producer. Each position has a different job (I'm not trying to talk down here, just relaying some hard learned lessons of my own). This is nearly an endless topic. So the learning curve can be difficult. But if separated into the different "hats," it can simplify the recording task.

Bottom line is to use your critical ear, be patient, and enjoy the process! Then post when you're finished for all to hear!

I want a semiclean/overdrive tone

From jimmie Vaughan to kid ramos kinda tone

I always find me get a ok tone with the volume high, but then when I have recorded the track I need to lower it to get the right volume in the mix and then it sounds
Plastic and the tone sounds the same with whatever guitar sound I had from the beginning.

Scottunes

Keep experimenting. You will find a decent tone.

Try using a splitter, and run two guitar tones at once. Maybe it'll give your tone what you want, and the combination will fill out the sound a little.

The loss of sound may also be from conflicting tones from other instruments being added. Try EQing each instrument to be "smaller," and have their own tonal ranges, reducing overlapping tones, so they all fit together better.

This is really why recording and mixing are professional businesses. It really does require effort! So, keep working it. You'll find what you're looking for. Try to enjoy the journey!

Yeah I have been able to get better demos but I have a looong way to sounding proffessional, but most of the time it's always the guitar that sounds dull

Micing is not an option and I am not going to get all the other mojos that are out there,
I just want to use the things I have and work with that

How do I upload mp3s here so u guys can listen and maybe have tips on what I do wrong

loudboy

To begin, search through the available guitar sounds and find one you like. Record that. Likely, you'll need to remove some lower frequencies to fit with the drums and bass. If too shrill or strident, trim upper mids and higher freqs...
That's where the problem lies. IME, when you try to EQ a modeler, it just gets worse and worse sounding.

The only reason I can think of for this is that unlike a regular amp, the modeler is leaving out big pieces of the frequency spectrum - there just isn't anything there to boost or cut.

YMMV, but I've always had real problems getting modeled anything to sit in the mix, compared to real instruments. It was a nightmare mixing virtual piano tracks, on the last full record project I did. The tracks where we used a real piano were easy-peasy.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Just my opinion, but I do not like Pods. If you are recording you might get close on the pod, but you can also add a guitar effect (modeler) plugin on the recording that could make it sound a lot more real.

Bottom line, even the best modelers "meet" the authentic sound, while the bargain ones only give approximations. If you are looking for a spanky Fender sound other things you can try is go to heavier strings, maybe get a boost pedal (Wamplers Paisley Drive) and stuff like that.

Just keep trying. Also - check out all the possible amp/cabinet emulation combinations, There is a lot of tone in there.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Is there any chance to get a Pod or guitar rig to sound organic?
It is possible, but it's also possible to get unorganic tones as well.
In the past I used a bean on lots of recordings but I think you'll get better results with a software based setup.
You mentioned guitar rig...no experience with that but I do like results with Pod Farm which is from Line 6.

Hm, i will try to get some decent tones

I think I need to know how to mix blues music, but I cant find good info on this
Metal seems to have huge info but not how to mix
Blues

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
change of topic....

Blues mixing:

Starting with the drums, get a big snare sound and a tight but punchy kick drum. Make sure the hi-hat is audible. Mix in the bass and work just with that to get a song in motion.

Add in rhythm instruments one at a time - so for balance. Not too loud, more like pads.

Feature the various "solo" items - vocals & leads - as they come along.

dporto

1) Absolutely.
2) The only "tip" I can give is this... There are no shortcuts besides hard work - record, mix, listen, experiment... If it was easy, there would be way more successful engineers/producers than there are now (especially since just about anyone/everyone has access to the tools). Good luck

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Love PODs, use my HD 500 all the time.

But... I have found that computer sims (I use Logic's Amp Designer) just seem to work better for recording.

I've used PODs to record, but always come back to the Logic Amp sims.

Ok, another thing I wonder about, every record I compare to the guitars have less highs
Should I roll off as long down as 4 khz? Cause around there I feel the tone comes closer to other records.. I dont know why :)

Trending Topics