1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

POD HD 300 in front of an amp tips

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by redux, May 23, 2011.

1. redux

redux Member

Does anyone have a few tips on how to fiddle with the HD 300 when it's in front of an amp? Like what's a good practice when adjusting the amp parameters (especially the new ones from v. 1.31)? I'm making a mid-gain rhythm preset for mainly contemporary and church songs.

I make my presets at home using headphones. I tend to cut on the bass and treble of amps since the phones are bassy enough and I do get the tone I want but when I plug it in the amp (I play at a church) the tones I get are harsh.

I have set everything on the amp on neutral (around 12:00) then tweak the amp knobs of the POD HD. The tone is too trebly even if I set it to zero. The amp is a line 6 spider 2 BTW.

I'm quite a noob on these things, it's the first time I'll be using an effects board like the POD HD 300. :(

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

You need to set the Output mode on the HD300 on ComboFrt (and revert it back to studio when you use headphones).
    Another point is that you need to tweak your patches with whatever you use live (in your case the Spyder) and at stage volume, tweaking with headphones (regardless how good they are) translates badly already with a PA, with an amp is even worser. If you use both (cans at home and amp at church), you'll probably need 2 sets of patches to cope with your needs

3. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

This is going to come of a bit smart ass but, my tip would be not to run it into the front if you're using amp modeling. You'll get much, much better results plugging into a loop return and if you have no loop simply using it as a stomp box emulator (ie no amp/cabinet modeling).

4. Flincho

Flincho Member

Yeah, definitely what Will Chen said.

Also, if you can, I would spend some time at church in the off-hours setting your tones in conjunction with the amp. I have never been able to build tones that translate to an amp using headphones.

5. jayjerry

jayjerry Member

Are you using amp modeling or just using the effects? I run a HD500 in front of an amp but for effects only. If you are going into the front of an amp and using amp/cab modeling you are not really using it like it was designed to be used. Not saying you can not get it sounding good but that is not really what a POD is made to do. Try using it for effects/drives only and see how it sounds.

I run mine into the front of a Fender Twin and select direct mode. The front of combo mode colors the tone way too much for my taste. YMMV of course.

6. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

Correct. I was growing frustrated trying to set to good tones from my amp that would sound good in my church...I was not able. What I did was I ended up going two times and spend a couple of hours each time dialing sounds. I can said that after listening to yesterday's recording I am about 90% there! This coming Sunday I will make my last adjustment. I am confident that I will be right where I need be considering it's a modeler. Still I will be very happy with the tones. The lesson here is that for better results work directly with the actual equipment you will use the hd with.