Pod HD 4/500 v Nova System

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Random Hero, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I know these don't quite do the same thing but I often just use the Nova into a clean amp if I don't have my own rig or I'm renting an amp. I'm thinking the POD could sound better here than the drives in the Nova. Plus, I love switching presets rather than tap dancing.

The other thing is, I use the Nova in the loop of my 5150 III 50w and switch the amp and fx at the same time via MIDI. First question is, can I do this with the HD500? Second question, how is the quality of the FX in comparison to the Nova? How about the AD/DA conversion - any coloration?

Any info would be great.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The HD 500 is WAY more flexible in terms of order of effects and such.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Really? That's cool. With the 4CM, I could get even more possibilities too, I suspect.

How is the quality of the AD/DA etc?

4. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Sorry, to add a bit more detail, can the HD series send MIDI PCs and CCs?

Another thing, how quick is the switching? On the Nova, I often use a compressor with the compression off but the level boosted as a lead boost but I've noticed now that the compressor is staying on for a split second as the patch changes, which is somewhat annoying. Does this happen on the POD?