POD HD 500 Help with muddy tones!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kidguitar12, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Kidguitar12

Kidguitar12 Member

Hey all,

I've got a couple questions so please just share any experience and/or advice you have. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post.

Im trying my best to get familiar with the POD HD 500 and the computer software editing that goes along with it. This pedal by nature sounds very muddy and muffled when plugged into a soundboard and through a PA. Is there a quick fix for this issue?

My fix for the issue thus far has been experimenting with all the amps that it has available and for the genre I'm playing (praise and worship, specifically Jesus Culture/Hillsong sound). The amps I have found that sound good are the AC-30, low gain Brit amps, B-man tweed, and the PhD Motorway. However I haven't found the exact sound Ive been looking for so my next step is to try and run these amps 2 at a time on the software (I don't want to use the term stereo because we're only using 1 channel, but thats basically what the software makes it look like).

My issue with running the amps in this kind of stereo mode is that as soon as you move the amp that you have EQ'ed over the the stereo mode it sounds completely different! It makes the amp sound tinny with no mids or lows. I have found that adjusting the mixer to the right of the amps you can tweak this problem, but I haven't figured out exactly how to fix it. Am I missing something?

2. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

Is it necessary to use two amps? Why not get a clean amp setting and let the pedals do the work

3. Semitone

Semitone Member

Don't forget to use the DEPs. A lot of people really like to set the Res level to zero. I have found res lev is hit or miss depending on particlular model. I do use the lo cut quite a bit though. I also think setting input 2 to something other than guitar( such as Variax) helps keep the device cleaner. Something about the doubled signal adds a bit of mush.

4. Kidguitar12

Kidguitar12 Member

Thanks for the tips thus far, I will try them.
    Bump for more advice.

5. partytrain

partytrain Member

6. jtbleeker

jtbleeker Member

I have a guitarist that used to use an HD500 straight in with the same problem. The amp modeling was the biggest issue, I'd pick a clean amp model and use the pedal models rather than mess with switching or changing model settings. The amp models are lackluster at best on the HD500, so I'd recommend just using it as a preamp going into the PA as opposed to treating it like a real amp.

Also, not entirely sure what running 2 amp models would achieve when going mono.

7. onwingsoflead

onwingsoflead Member

The amp models are actually pretty darn good, but you have to spend time with them. Work with the res settings etc. Also try different cab models than the default. Same with mic models. Take your time and it will sound awesome

8. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Welcome to the endless tweaking of guitar modelers!

I rented an HD500 for a month and experimented with it extensively. I couldn't achieve patches I was happy with. YMMV

9. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Make sure your using the correct output setting (I think the choices are Power amp, direct, guitar amp, etc...). Each of those has a different EQ setting. I found the only way to get rid of the muddiness was to use something other than the "guitar amp" setting. But even then, the HD sucks a lot of tone.

10. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Start with Res = 0 and ER = 0

Don't listen to it beforehand or your ears will be fooled into thinking your missing something. 80% of your tweaking is trying to get rid of what those two paramiters do to your sound. Nasty stuff.

Next just set up your amps and effects as you like to get the sound you want.