POD HD as midi controller -wishful thinking?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tybalt, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

I suppose this is best suited for a juvenile fantasy thread type deal - for some reason I just don't believe Line6 would generalize the new PodHDs as a midi controller.

But damn. The idea of using one of them as a controller/back-up for Axe-FX or 11R is obviously awesome (not to mention a new market position to devour). The sweet price point the new PodHDs are boasting could kill the MFC-101 if that functionality was incorporated.

I've decided I LIKE the way GAS feels. Life is empty without a bad case of GAS imo. :bonk

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

It doesn't seem like comprehensive midi functionality has ever been a priority for Line 6, but you never know. If you got as much MIDI control as you do with the M13 (seems like a minimum baseline), you could probably make it work. I'm not sure how flexible teh Axe-FX or 11R are with respect to mapping, but you could probably find something from these guys if you needed to do more than either product can handle . . . http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

3. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

With all those foot switches, 1 on board & 1 external expression pedal on the HD500, the potential is there.
    I'm purely speculating, but I'd imagine it would be like the M9 / 13 with only fixed program changes midi wise. No programmable CC#s etc.

4. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I'm currently using a friends XT Live as a midi controller for the Axe-FX. It covers the basics - program change, tap tempo, CC on/off messages for effects (which can be mapped to any four, maybe it's five, effects in the Axe-FX - I only have two of them set to turn on/off Drive 1 and Delay 1). I was not able to get the XT Live expression pedal to work properly with the Axe, but this is a temporary solution so I did not spend a lot of time trying to get it to work right. I think I could get it to work if I downloaded the editor for the XT Live.

Until we see the midi implementation for the HD series we will not know if it will offer the same level of midi control as the XT Live. However, I would hope that Line 6 would not go backwards with the HD500 by removing the midi capabilities.

5. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

"HD500
    As HD300 and HD400 plus:
    Guitar input normal/pad
    Aux In
    Mic In + level knob
    Variax input
    S/PDIF out
    MIDI INPUT and OUT/THRU
    Individual Presence and master volume control on top of unit
    Full signal chain shown on LCD.
    More FX editing encoders, for easier deep editing.
    8 assignable footswitches.
    Editable MIDI settings for each preset – means you can use the HD500 as a MIDI Controller for other devices
    Extra looper functions (1/2 speed, reverse)
    more than 3 FX at a time (FX DSP dependant)"

BOOYAH.
    Looks like I just found my Axe-FX floor board/gig backup.
    :banana

6. stilwel

stilwel Member

HD500 has some advanced MIDI functionality precisely for this application.

Each of the FS switches as well as EXP1, EXP2, Tap, Looper switches and the pedal toe-switch, can be assigned (per preset) to send a variety of MIDI messages (PC, CC, note on/off, etc), all on separate MIDI channels.

Page B-3 of the HD500's Advanced User Guide explains it all in great detail.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Oh snap... this is pretty cool. But I wonder how you can assign CC stuff to all of those things to control your external gear <ie. AxeFX or 11Rack> AND/OR still use stuff within the pedal itself (amps, fx)

8. stilwel

stilwel Member

It's all in the manual....

The Footswitches don't have any dedicated purpose. You can assign them to either internal fx on/off, or to external devices. They are completely user assignable, again, per preset.