POD HD desktop into the loop of a Boss GT10

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by kennywiegman, May 27, 2015.

1. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

2. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

No, but I seriosuly considered putting my Pod HD Bean into the loop of my HD500 yesterday evening. Ended up just putting my RP360 in front of the HD500 and using the amp modelling on the RP360 and the HD500 for effects.

3. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

The amp modeling in the digitech is better than the L6?The RP1000 was built like a tank but the amp models didnt impress me, the L6 was too fickle and COSM is a head scratcher. I've tried multi from everyone except Zoom I am trying to integrate modeling and effects but the all in one's have been less than perfect and putting them with my amp is just a pain. Figured it can't hurt to try using the Boss for Effects and the Pod for amp models. It's 10 year old tech so what the hell

4. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

No, the amp modelling in the RP360 is not better than in the Pod HD. I have upgraded to 2.6 and bought the model packs. The new amps (some of them at least) are excellent and together with the new global EQ I can get really good direct sounds from the HD500 itself. So good, in fact, that I ended up leaving my EPSi at home. However, I think there are great usability problems with the using the HD500 for live usage - at least for me. To be fair it is the same for almost all the all-in-one modelers IMO. It is actually the all-in-one concept that just doesn't work for me.

The Problem
    The problem is that the amp settings are stored together with the effects in each patch. Now, if I could get away with a single patch for all my clean sounds, a single patch for the dirty sounds, and a single patch for my lead sounds everything would be honky dory. I can't, unfortunately. I have too many songs requiring different effects for that to be possible. For instance, I have one patch where I use the expression pedal for boosting the volume while also increasing the depth of the tremolo from 0 to 100. That means two effect blocks that are tied together already. Then I need phaser somewhere, chorus elsewhere and self oscillating delay in third place. In other words, I run out of effect slots fast. Even though the new global eq has removed my need for using several slots for eqs just in order to get a usable sound.

This is all fine and dandy until you find at rehearsal that you need to cut a little more bass from the dirty patch. Er... I mean the six different dirty patches that are all based on the same amp settings. Then you find that cutting the bass means you need to increase the volume for that patch. Er... those six patches I mean. That is simply too frustrating and I think that is what people talk about when they discuss problems with level matching patches when working with different modelers.

The solution
    For me, I have come to the conclusion that I need to separate the amp modelling from the effects. That way I can have my three basic amp modelling patches clean, dirty, and lead in three distinctly different patches. Now, if I need to cut the bass and boost the volume of the dirty patch, I only need to do it in one place. At the moment I am working with using my RP360 for that and then sending the signal into the HD500 where I have built effect patches that will take care of my needs. I like the amp modelling of the Pod HD better than the RP, but using my HD Desktop for amp modelling into my HD500 would mean that I would also have to add a foot controller for the HD Desktop. I find the amp modelling in the RP360 to be more than adequate, though. Good enough that it trumps the usability issues I mention above. I must say I do think there are some excellent amp models in that box. I am using the 65 Fraternal for clean, the 77 Master Volume for dirt, and the Brown Sound (I think that is what it is called) for lead. The benefit of the RP360 over the HD Desktop is obviously the built in foot controller. It is too much to carry for me, but I will have to manage even though I am travelling by bicycle.

The future? Well, I would be the perfect candidate to buy the Atomic Amplifire. I am in Europe, though so the waiting list will be long and it will be expensive with the shipping, the customs, the added Danish VAT and the fees for handling customs and VAT here in Denmark. Expensive enough that I decided it is a no-go at the moment. Besides, I don't think I save that much size wise compared to the RP360. It will probably sound better but again, I think there are some great tones in that little RP360.

5. kennywiegman

kennywiegman Member

I'm about to pick my POD up from a consignment shop where it has gotten zero attention and try it out. I have the fbv mkii so I'll just have two full size floorboards out and see what sticks. I'll update as it unfolds