• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pod HD fail: I've had a gutful

A week or so ago I posted about my Eleven Rack getting stuck on the splash screen. That unit has now been posted across Australia for repair.

In the meantime I've been using my Pod HD Desktop. For a few weeks now it's had a weird problem where the power supply sometimes won't work if the unit has been recently operated. The green LED on the power supply doesn't light up and the Pod doesn't show any sign of life. The problem seems to have gotten worse in recent days, to the extent that instead of being able to play my guitar it's a case of wondering whether the damn unit will power up.

Tonight I decided enough was enough and I dragged out my old Fender HRD and a bunch of pedals. The Pod HD can go back to the shop for a warranty repair, after which point I might just sell the darn thing. I've had 3 Line 6 devices and this is the 2nd one which has needed a warranty repair - not good statistics in my book.

I can't wait for the 11R to return because that unit sounded great. The Pod HD, I'm not so sure - the tones were not inspiring, but maybe my ears are coloured by the lack of reliability! Tonight my Les Paul, MI Audio Crunch Box and Fender HRD sounded pretty damn good. That combination has never let me down either, other than some valves reaching the end of their life.

I tell you what: if the 11R proves to be too expensive to repair, this might be the end of my foray into the world of digital multi effects - at least for a few years.

Two digital devices not behaving correctly at your house. One of them definitely showing issues with the power supply itself....hmmmmmmm.......

Have you had your power checked?

Two digital devices not behaving correctly at your house. One of them definitely showing issues with the power supply itself....hmmmmmmm.......

Have you had your power checked?
Might be a good idea. But the last Line 6 product which failed had nothing to do with power supply (it was a common problem endemic to M5s), and the 11R problem is not unique either. In any case, no such issues with my valve amp or analogue pedals...I am starting to think digital gear is rather fragile.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Might be a good idea. But the last Line 6 product which failed had nothing to do with power supply (it was a common problem endemic to M5s), and the 11R problem is not unique either. In any case, no such issues with my valve amp or analogue pedals...I am starting to think digital gear is rather fragile.
Your experience might show that... but... I've owned, POD, POD 2.0, XT Pro, M13, DL4, X3Live, and HD 500. Never one single issue. The only maintenance I've done is using 3-in-1 oil on the footswitches every couple years.

fly135

My M5 likely had that problem. I had to send it back for replacement. The audio would randomly mute and you had to switch patches or cycle power.

kevinpmajka

Seriously check your power. Tube amps can compensate - devices can't.... And there is failure. Some are luckier than others.

Pietro

Seriously check your power. Tube amps can compensate - devices can't.... And there is failure. Some are luckier than others.
Most of these digital devices use an adaptor that changes AC into DC... bad power generally won't affect them badly in my experience, although sometimes bad power will blow the power supply (which is why I have a backup DC power supply for each of my devices.

GeoffP

Your experience might show that... but... I've owned, POD, POD 2.0, XT Pro, M13, DL4, X3Live, and HD 500. Never one single issue. The only maintenance I've done is using 3-in-1 oil on the footswitches every couple years.
now that does not sound great advice to me. Oil attracts dirt, i wouldn't want it anywhere near my switches. If they need a lube i'd go for graphite, the sort of stuff made for lubeing locks.

And i have only had one line6 product (HD500) and that needed warranty repair, the usual problem of usb socket.

On the other hand i have had multiple behringer (pedals, mixers) stuff for years and never had a hint of a problem. Cheap plastic crap I find lasts and lasts any abuse you throw at it.

drgonzoguitar

Seriously, I would get your power checked in your house. I had a friend in Evanston, IL whose house voltage was "brown" due to transmission failure. All of their digital devices were acting crazy. Unlike a tube amp, solid state doesn't have the same "flexibility," no matter the regulation being used in the circuit.

I've had a MM4, DL4, Pod xt, x3, and currently gig with an HD. No issues.

Pietro

now that does not sound great advice to me. Oil attracts dirt, i wouldn't want it anywhere near my switches. If they need a lube i'd go for graphite, the sort of stuff made for lubeing locks.
3-in-1 is what they recommend. I've been using it for years on switches. It works awesome.

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
My original POD 2.0 is still ROCKIN! Of course I treat my equipment L6 with great respect because it deserves it.

Tmidiman

My Pod 1.0 is still work. Heck, I even bought another! The only problems I've had with L6 gear was the dreaded XT defective display and the equally dreaded X3 input jack failure. Both issues heavily discussed in the L6 forums. Got rid of the XT, but I still have my other gear.

I to would recommend looking into the power in your home and where you plug your equipment in.

mattball826

yes it is! here are a few of mine. some older some recent.

axe fx - bricked at a gig. no sound no nothing. sent to fas for repairs.

presonus dig mixer- bricked. no sound just clicking noise. finally exchanged after the factory svc co tried to fix it twice.

pod x3 live- 2 of them bricked, the other had no sound. took the 4th one from the factory to get it right.

digital gear = computers, dsp failures, heat related problems, power supply (especially switching type) failures, and the most common is and will be bad rotary encoders (scroll knobs, utility knobs).

digital is cool but if it goes down you cant fix it. send it out or just replace it.

analog can fail too, but you can fix a majority of it for less than replacement costs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom