POD HD Flanger...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Will Chen, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Alright, if you've read my HD posts, you've likely seen my slight displeasure with some of the mod effects. That experience has extended to the flangers. Now, I don't pretend to be a connoisseur, I've only owned one dedicated flange in my life (Boss) and it was a long time ago. That being said, the tone from that pedal set my expectation and it has been met by every multi-fx and VST I've had on the (rare) occasions I've needed it. I had skipped through the HD effects many times but never really sat down with the flanger and tried to dial it in. Last night I was working on a tune I need to learn for a Saturday rehearsal with a new group and I thought flanger might sound cool in the bridge. So I went through each flange and...wtf? None of them really sound like what I would expect a flanger to sound like, certainly nothing capturing the "swoosh". :dunno Any one with a similar experience?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. longi

longi Member

I thought they were reasonably good, I thought the Wah Wah's were the worst effect on it.

3. TomWaitsForNoMan

TomWaitsForNoMan Member

Completely agree. The best I could do is tweaking with the Jet Flange ... and it's still nothing like that "Airplane" whoosh sound. They all sound more chorus-y then flange-y... I really think the script phase can sound much more authentic so I've been using that when I want that sort of "thing"

4. hour9

hour9 Member

I agree. I've been trying to get a Van Halen "Unchained" flange sound but can't figure it out.

5. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Maybe you could Stick a g3 after the pod?

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I can get much, much closer to the sound of my crybaby than I can get to the flange tones I have in my head and I've heard in other multis and dedicated pedals.

Yeah, I'm actually using the Script Phase for another tune and that's what I fell back to last night.

The biggest draw in using any multi-fx unit for me is to minimize the complexity of my set up. Adding the G3 only for flange, an effect I almost never use, seems like overkill. In fact, stacking multi-fx units in general isn't something I'm interested in at all.

7. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

At first I couldn't get decent flanger tones, but eventually tweaked enough to get usuable ones. It would have helped me to acually have the knobs set up the same on the models as the real analog pedals I have. Try these for starting points (note, it will vary with placement of the effects, and also try boosts in front for some):

EVH, Ain't Talk'n Bout Love (turn on for the C to B note riff):

Analog Flanger model
    Speed: 0.3 to 0.32 Hz
    Depth: 33%
    Manual: 50%
    Mix: 100%

EVH, Unchained:

Analog Flanger model
    Speed: 0.4 Hz
    Depth: 82%
    Manual: 75 to 80%

or

AC Flanger model
    Speed: 0.38 Hz
    Width: 82%
    Regen: 100%
    Manual: 82%

Heart, Barracuda:

Analog Flanger model
    Speed: 0.85 Hz
    Depth: 16%
    Manual: 63%

8. DarthVanHollis

DarthVanHollis Member

EVH's Flanger was always set exactly the same. Here's what works for me.

AC Flanger
    Speed 0.10 Hz
    Width 40%
    Regen 40%
    Manual 95-100%

There are so many knobs on a Flanger it is a tough effect to get to sound right. I think that Line 6 should just make every knob 1-100. It's stupid to have the Hz listed for speed on effects that don't normally use that paramater.

9. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

there are like 5 flangers in there, and you can't find a good tone?

user error IMHO.

10. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Try experimenting: Drive before and after flanging effect. Same applies to univibe and phaser effects. Van Halen stuff was all flanger then dirt ('cos of course the dirt was the amp).
    If you are in doubt, just try it. Don't take my word for it!

11. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I'll give your settings a try. The ATBL and Unchained (and other EVH flangers) were pretty much the same. Unchained just has the regeneration maxed out (compared to ATBL). He does use some other extreme flanger settings/sounds at times though.

12. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Have you done a head to head comparison? If so, go ahead and post some clips to prove your point. I'm going to try the settings posted later tonight and see if i can get something more to my expectations. I can just punch up the flangers in other units with zero adjustment and the sound as expected. If this has something to do with the pod stereo summing issue (like the analog chorus in previous releases), I'm probably just going to shelf it for a little while and use my RP500.

And BTW, not trying to get a VH sound really. But I guess his usage is the most well known.

13. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

look, I'm not really a flanger guy, but I've used various flangers over the years--mainly for more chorus-type stuff--and the POD flangers, going all the way back to the MM4, sound like, well, flangers.

as always, the modeled stuff, regardless of who makes it and how good it its, is never quite as chewy and thick as the real analog gear, but it usually responds the way you would expect it to.

here's the MM4 flanger at 7:38... sounds like a flanger.

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Sure. Sounds like nice subtle flanging. The stuff in the RP can get those sounds but can also do the sweeping jet type of tone. When you try for a more in your face tone, the sweep doesn't sound smooth. Also, the tone becomes muddy vs the RP which can do some pretty extreme flanging and still sound clear. The closest is the analog flanger (thanks for the settings guys), but when you up the feedback and depth, there's a weird detune thing happening at the bottom of the sweep which just doesn't sound right to me.

Here's a clip. First HD, then RP, then G3, all into the HD using a bassman model with some delay. The HD is just about as crazy as the analog flanger will get, both the RP and G3 can get way, way crazier and over the top if dialed in as such. Maybe I'm crazy and just splitting hairs. :bonk

http://www.mediafire.com/?zr3achg1ra31x0t

15. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

No, you are absolutely correct.
    That first flanger in the clip sounds hideous.
    The RP flange is far and away the best of the three in your clip. It sounds like a flanger is supposed to.

16. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I agree with Will. I find that most models of flangers (and phaser and vibes) are weak when compared to the analog versions -- especially when used with distortion or any gain on the amp (model or real). I was really disappointed with the HD500 flangers at first -- mostly when combined with tones with any noticable gain. But, with some work, and using less gain, I can get some usable flanger sounds. I've kept my analog flangers because I like them better. It would, however, be nice to get great flanger models so you don't need outboard pedals with the HD500. I don't use flangers a lot, but when I do, I want them to sound good.

17. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Why would anyone want to do a head-to-head? Either it sounds good or it doesn't. Who among the listeners of your music (assuming there are any) are going to listen to one of your Line 6 flange settings and, with arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed of course, sternly say, "Hmmm, that sounds nothing like a 70s-era Electric Mistress. Your sound sucks," or whatever? There are enough flanger models in there that, either you don't have the skills to come up with something decent, or you're too picky.

Sorry, I just get annoyed with people who complain about such minuscule nuances of their sound that don't matter to anyone.

18. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

:rotflmao

I guess we should all go back to the original POD because we're being too picky by wanting something better. Wait, even that's overkill because there are multiple amp models and we really only need one or we're being too picky. Wait, I guess we really don't need a POD at all because any pedal run direct is good enough because no one in the audience is going to care if your SD-1 run direct to board sounds exactly like a cranked up plexi. :sarcasm

Why is there even a market for the AxeFX is anything is good enough. I don't care a bit about quantity, I'd prefer 1 quality flanger than 5 substandard ones. If Digitech can do it why can't Line 6?

19. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

For me the problem with the Line 6 flangers (and the choruses, too) is that it's very hard to come up with anything decent.

I've always thought it was my lack of skill, but this thread is making me re-think that - I find the flange/chorus models to be really "lumpy" sounding - like the LFO has a glitch in it. They just do not sound good to me at all - maybe I can get something usable at a very subtle setting, but anytime you "go big" it really starts to sound bad - weird, jumpy and detuned (in a bad, non-musical way).

Given that the Boss HF-2 I have takes about 2 seconds to find any number of decent sounding settings anywhere from subtle to over the top, it does make me a little irritated with the HD500, where it takes me a considerable amount of effort to find something that doesn't sound like crap . . . .

20. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

The Boss probably is preset to some good basic flanger settings and tweaking is relatively easy. If you don't know what you are doing, the MXR can be confusing with it's 4 knobs. The L6 version ("analog flanger") on the HD500 is harder to dial in, and the knobs you can't set it the same as the original to get the original tones. The trick is to mess with it until it sounds good, starting with some idea of how the real pedal works (for example, the relative settlings of the 4 knobs - even though this is off on the POD).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012