Pod HD: Hard gate vs. Noise gate

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by beavisguitar99, Jan 31, 2012.

1. beavisguitar99

beavisguitar99 Member

So I entirely missed the November HD update to 1.4. The only feature that caught my eye was the hard gate. I personally don't like gates, but they are needed for some of the heavier stuff I play. I'm going to update my Pod to 1.4 tonight. Is the hard gate a huge tone suck like the noise gate is? What can I expect? Can I expect to roll back my volume to .5-1 with no tone loss? Comments in general?

2. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

I LOVE the hard gate.

I had a noise gate in basically all my HD/DT patches (mostly mid to high gain) and switched them all to the hard gate which COMPLETELY eliminates any hum or noise but still decays naturally. IMO, obviously.

3. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

I liked the 1.4 patch. I missed it entirely as well and only just recently upgraded.

It now sounds a LOT better to me, but it also messed up a bunch of my patch settings so make sure you look at those...

It turned some effects on/off, and switched controller assignments, but I found the basic amp tones to be better. Could just be in my head though. Haven't even tried the hard gate yet...

4. beavisguitar99

beavisguitar99 Member

Thanks for the responses. After testing 1.4 out for about 3 hours I'd decided the hard gate sucks almost no tone. Almost....... I will have to adapt my playing to it, but it is adaptable unlike the previous noise gate. The only problem I have with the hard gate is that if I let a note fade entirely I get an almost tremolo sound a few seconds before the note dies. Perhaps I need to play with the settings.

5. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

The hard gate is truly much better...makes the original kinda useless in my eyes.

And scotchtape...we must both be going crazy, because I think it sounds better too.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ya, I need to read the settings suggestions or something cause I get the same thing.

7. Giampaolo

Giampaolo Member

What's your best setting for Hard Gate ?

8. HolyMuffDiver

HolyMuffDiver Member

Isn't the hard gate just for really heavy metal chunk-type riffing? I haven't even tried it out, as I already had the noise gate set up on most of my patches and never had a problem with tone suck (keeping the threshold at around 35% max, lower if I can get away with it). Looking at the controls for the hard gate, I don't even understand how to use it. How does it work?

9. DarthVanHollis

DarthVanHollis Member

I use the regular gate. Even for my heaviest sounds I usually keep the threshold at 30-35% and I can usually turn down the volume of my guitar and still play (a la Hot For Teacher) without "tone suck." But I also keep the release (or whatever the other control is called) at 0.

I can see how the Hard gate would work for serious metal players but I just don't need it.

10. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

I posted a description of the gate in a different thread:

Open threshold is the signal level fed to the gate required to make the gate open and let sound pass through - it should now sound the same as if you turned the effect off completely. It won't begin to close until the signal level dips below the close threshold. Hold time is how long the gate will wait before starting to close once the close threshold is met. And decay is how quick the signal will drop from its current level to silence. So you want the open threshold higher than than the close threshold and if you want it super quick and punchy set hold time and decay to 0. I like to increase decay up to 500-1000ms in normal circumstances just to make the transition a bit more natural.
    And to really maximize what you want play with open close settings. You want the open high enough so that you can trigger it with the softest note you intend to play but not random noise or random times your fingers touch the strings. Set close low enough so that your notes sustain for as long as you want but you can easily close the gate by muting the guitar.

The gate isn't going to subtract volume. Think of it like a physical gate - its either gonna let the signal through or completely block it. The only time this isn't the case is when it is closing. If you specify a decay time other than 0, it will diminish the signal volume over the time specified instead of blocking it immediately. The thresholds only specify the volume levels that must be met to own or close it. For opening it must exceed the threshold. For closing it must be under the threshold. And the hold time just keeps the gate open for that time after the close threshold is met in case you were just briefly pausing before another note that puts the level back above the open threshold.

So make sure your open threshold is higher than your close threshold, and to make the trail off a bit more natural increase decay time.