Pod hd/mesa dual rec question...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Trag3dyAndy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

So I just bought a used 2005 3 channel dual rec a few weeks ago, and I can't seem to get a decent sound out of it. I've had a pod hd since may and have been using the treadplate model almost exclusively, so I figured i'd just buy the amp. Well, the pod sounds better than the actual amp! What am I doing wrong? Even the pod through the mesas fx return sounds better than the mesa. On the pod I go guitar, tubescreamer, treadplate. So I bought a tubescreamer, and tried my settings to no avail. I've been messing with this amp for awhile and still can't get it to sound as good as the pod hd. Confused..

2. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

Dual Recs are tricky if your not used to actual Mesa tweaking. I say sell the Rec and get a FRFR.

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

1. Dial it in with your ears and not with your eyes. Start at 12 o'clock and adjust to taste. READ THE MANUAL.

2. Rectos need volume, so you are likely experiencing what many of us call "crappy bedroom tone." You will need a 2x12 cab (at least) with V30s as a good starting point to get the most out of this amp.

3. Despite what some believe, rectos don't have as much gain as... tada! your pod hd. Depending on your guitar pickups, you may or may not need a TS type of pedal to tighten the gain.

4. Your pod settings WILL NOT WORK WITH THE AMP!!! Mesas are not as complex to dial in as some would have you believe, but they are not like other amps with passive tone stacks. Every knob affects how all other knobs work, and some do so more than others. Again, read the manual.

Other possible causes of your discontent may be that the tubes on the amp may be old, guitar pickups, speaker cabs. All these things matter. Mesas are pro-level instruments, treat them as such.

Now I have to address the comment above: Ignore it. FRFR will never be the same as the real thing. Your POD will never sound like your recto will. Do not go crazy with the bass and treble and scoop all the mids. These amps don't work well like that.

Hope that helps. Oh, and by the way, I own a Mesa Roadster.

4. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

I've read the manual a few times and it helped a lot. I currently have the tone knobs pretty close to noon. I never mid scoop. Boosting with the ts helped. My sound is a lot tighter than before. I changed out the v1 tube to a groove tube chinese. It smoothed the sound out a bit, but my sound is always muddy. Not as clear as the pod. I keep the gain around noon too.

5. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

Oh. Guitar pickups are emg 85/81. Cabs are a 2x12 and a 4x12. 2x12 has eminence v12 legends and 4x12 has celestion g12l-35s in it. I should be getting some vintage 30s this weekend to throw in the 2x12 cab.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I had a Dual Recto (90s amp) for a whole week and sold it as I had the same experience.

IMHO, they need SERIOUS volume to sound good and major boosting. I ran modern, silicone diode and still found it didn't have enough gain (as I couldn't play at stadium volumes).

My 11R>poweramp rig slaughtered it so off it went.

I love the Recto tone but I think I need the baby recto to get it...when I'm not using modelling anyway.

7. Chris Beaver

Chris Beaver Member

you could try putting a para eq in the send return if your finding it too dark. Its possible you've just got used of the pod hd sound and your tying to match it with your amp imo the pod hd always sounds brighter than a real amp in this situation. Forum Crawlers post is spot on i agree with all of it

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

This is a very good suggestion. I use either an MXR 10 Band EQ or a rack EQ with my roadster. My pickups are SD Blackouts, and my cab is a handbuilt recto sized, closed back 2x12 with Emminence Swamp Thang and Wizard.

To the OP: Sounds like you have the right gear combo to sound good with the recto. Don't be discouraged, but don't expect it to sound like your pod. :)

9. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

I've heard the tube screamer effect on the Pod doesn't sound like a real tube screamer. I'm not a big fan of the Pod version - I like the Classic Distortion effect instead. The Pod Screamer is dirty even at 0% gain. The Classic Distortion has wiggle room - stays clean from like 5%- 15%.

Maybe try adding a bit of gain on your real screamer? also i don't know where you put the bass/treble controls on the pod screamer, but they don't exist on a real one...

10. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

The recto I have has a parallel fx loop, so an eq in the loop might not be that useful.

11. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

On the pod screamer I have everything at 50%, except drive and output. Drive at 0% and output at 80%. I've tried different settings on the real ts and it does help, but still not close to how the pod sounds.

12. cardinal

cardinal Member

I think it's a relatively simple mod to convert the loop to serial.

As others have said, Rectos need some volume to smooth out. I also like them with the presence down pretty low, especially on the Red channel. Also, the non-multi watt 3 channel rectos aren't the most well regarded version of that amp.

13. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

Well, in the pod model gallery it states that they copied a 2001 dual recto for the treadplate model, which is the 3 channel version. I'm gonna look into the loop mod. I just wish I didn't need to do all this stuff to make a "pro" amp sound good. Its a little messed up that a $400 pod sounds better out of the box with no mods or anything compared to the mesa.

14. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

There is also another possibility that has not been mentioned: you may not actually like the sound of a real recto?

So far the Kemper is the only modeler that does get very close to the real thing, so I wouldn't consider the HD to be a good representation of the Mesa sound.

15. cardinal

cardinal Member

We all have a tendency to over think things. I personally have never met a Recto I didn't like once they're wound up (do wish they had better master volumes). But only you know what you like. If you're happy with the HD, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just roll with it and love what you play.

No sense in fighting with a piece of gear that the Internet or price tags tells you that you "should" like more than something else (I think we've all been there, though. I know I have).

16. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

Maybe. I've always used the recto model on whatever modeller I use, so I dunno. And most of my favorite bands use rectos. Maybe I need to find a brighter tube or something to put in v1. It came with mesa russian-2 tubes in all positions. I have a groove tubes chinese in v1 right now, and I have an extra electro harmonix tube I'll try today. Maybe a full preamp tube change may be in order? Not sure. Thanks for all the help though. I really appreciate it.

17. Trag3dyAndy

Trag3dyAndy Member

Yeah. I just figured id buy the real deal since I've always used the recto models on my modellers.

18. HunterNZ

HunterNZ Member

The loop mod doesn't work very well.
    I had it done to my Dual recto, and I found there was still a little bit of uneffected signal getting mixed in. I contacted Mesa, and they said it is unavoidable and caused by 'cross-talk'.

I ended up having the mod reversed and selling it. I loved the sound of the amp, but I wanted more flexibility. I never had any issues with it sounding muddy. Although I was always playing it at gig/practice volume, I never bothered using it for home/bedroom practice.

19. kingjoemom

kingjoemom Member

Sound advice right there... No pun intended:rimshot

20. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

No worries, trying out stuff is what makes gear fun.

Have you had the chance to go to the store and checkout one of the rectos they have there? When I got my roadster (which has a Nov, 2011 build date) I tried the new dual and triple rectos, as well as old ones, and Mark V, and the Roadster came on top because of the two clean channels, and slightly darker feel to it.

Maybe go to the store and try everything they have and see how it compares to yours>?