Pod HD mixer levels?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by frantick, Feb 12, 2012.

1. frantick

frantick Member

Where do you run your mixer levels (on the HD) to balance rigs? Do you try to level at 0db or are the quiet amp models at +db and your loud amps at 0, or ?

Having a tough time with this because some of those clean amps are so quiet.

-cp

2. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

I put the pans on both channels straight up. Then turn channel volumes all the way up. If I have any problem, it's that some of the amps are too loud.

3. frantick

frantick Member

Are you talking about an external mixer or the one I'm referring to built in to the HD? If the latter, could you explain what you mean by 'straight up'?

I do run the HD into a separate mixer via stereo XLR, but I'm trying to get a constant output from the HD itself.

Thanks, -c

4. Mango Positive

Mango Positive Member

Wouldn't that be nice! I'm afraid, at this point anyway, that each patch's volume must be handled individually. I have different mixer levels for each patch, which I am basing on the level the patch registers for recording. This is easy for me because I don't use the unit live, unless I'm just messing around with friends. For live use, it's probably good to get all of your base levels with a sound meter of some sort. They aren't the best ones available, but both Android and iOS have apps available to do it.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I go between +6 and +9. 0db is too quiet.

6. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

I actually keep everything at 0 unless its a patch with no amp and I'm running an instrument quieter than my guitar (ie. ukulele). I try to match the volume of the bypass, no amp volume. I usually run master volume for the unit at 50 to 75%. Running like this its quite easy to get a clean amp up to volume and loud amps obviously just turn down the channel volume. I've also started using a db meter on my computer to check volume levels to keep all patches pretty even. I've never ran into a board where this volume was insufficient. For those who find the unit too quiet I'm actually curious what the problem is. Is it that 1. the board/speaker/amp has trouble getting to the desired volume, or is it about signal to noise ratio, or something else I'm not thinking about?

7. Mincer

Mincer Member

I've found that unity gain is between +4.5 and +6 on the mixer, with the master cranked.

8. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

How did you decide on this?

9. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

For clean amps turn master and channel to 100% and use the drive knob to get volume. You can turn drive up to around 45 or 50 (on blackface deluxe) before breakup starts. For higher gain turn master and drive to 100% and use channel knob for volume. Somewhere around 32 should be about the same volume if using the Park 75 or Brit J-45. I usually have 2 cleans and 2 dirty patches and use the mixer on one of each for solos.

10. DRS

DRS Member

I agree with MikeNiteRail

I keep mine at 0db. I assume L6 has the brains to make this arbitrary "unity gain" with sufficient s/n ratio to be usable. Mine seems fine. I run most patch volumes at 80-100% and match them for volume so when I switch patches, I don't screw up the soundman. I go left XLR to house PA and right XLR to FRFR Mackie powered monitor. I've never had a problem with my volume being too quiet.

11. Mincer

Mincer Member

Using 2 A/B switches...and comparing the HD with just a cable into the amp- this will vary slightly with effects and amp selected (or none), but the HD is always quieter than the same guitar just going straight into an amp.

You notice this the most if you use the HD for an effect unit only. I don't use the 4cm at all- I use amp models only when going direct.

12. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

Thanks for the info on unity volumes, just a couple questions:
    1. What's the problem with the HD being lower volume than unity for running into the PA or powered speaker?
    2. Did you try the both the quarter inch outputs & XLR, I've heard they have different volume outputs.
    3. How about running both L&R XLR, does this increase volume?

For me keeping things set to the HD's unity has the huge advantage that you can always easily test it in your patch. Just turn off the amp (and effects) and match. If you are using the mixer to adjust volume it becomes more complicated since adjustments to the mixer will change your bypass volume requiring you to change patches to compare. I suppose with an accurate db meter this could be irrelevant. Also, if you leave the mixer at a default +5 for example, and don't adjust it, it will be equally simple.