POD HD500 As a MIDI?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mickslick, May 2, 2011.

1. mickslick

mickslick Member

Hi all, using my HD500 as a midi controller for my 11R, everything works great with one exception, when I first switch to a new bank of patches or "rigs", the unit is muted until I tap the selected rig again. I can switch patches in the same bank no problem, without a mute, but once I go to a new bank of patches the initial selection is muted. Looking for a solution,

Thanks

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

That's funny...it is supposed to stay on the old patch 'till you push the new one...bank up/down should not mute anything. Check on the 11R screen what happen when you you push up/down on the HD500....

3. jhall

jhall Member

What is the CC# command for switching banks? If I use mine (I have it set up so I can turn EFX and such on and off within a givin patch) and touch the lower row of buttons, it just brings me back to bank 1 no matter what bank I'm on at the time>

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

B0 00 xx but this will swap playlist not bank , at best set the lower row to send a PC with the correct patch number and you should have no problem with the up/down switches (ex: A01= PC 00, B01= PC 04 or whatever the patches are mapped in the target unit)

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

Weird, my HD500 works perfectly with the 11R as far as selecting banks up and down and accessing patches (no muting). Did you reprogram your "New Tone" patches to send any CCs? If you assign a CC to any of the top buttons it will be sent upon patch change.

6. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Slightly off-topic, but will the HD300 and HD400 work in the same way, or is there something unique to the 500?

7. richpjr

richpjr Member

Here you go:

http://line6.com/podhd/compare.html

8. mickslick

mickslick Member

I did program the new tone patches to send CC's, fs1-fs4, actually I think I used your instructions to set it up. Everything works fine, just the muting thing, it's strange, there is no reason it should mute when I change banks and go to a new patch.

9. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

I'd double check the CCs being sent by your patches and test the behavior with clean ones to see if the problem persists.

10. mickslick

mickslick Member

I found the culprit, it's the HD500 Volume Pedal, When I switch banks and get no sound, if I barely rock the volume pedal everything is back. I tried recalibrating the volume pedal and re flashing the HD500, still there. I can live with it, just need to do a little rock when I go to another bank. From what I can tell it's a bug in the HD500 firmware, might very well be fixed in future firmware releases.

11. coderKen

coderKen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

This happens to me too on occasion just switching between patches. I thought it was something to do with how I had my patches set up...

12. Geognosy

Geognosy Member

I can confirm that this happens with the AxeFX as well - patches that have a volume pedal configured to be controlled by the HD500 pedal will occasionally be muted. It almost certainly has something to do with how the HD500 is initializing the volume pedal - they also send Bank Change (B0 00 xx) messages when you switch to patches that have the volume pedal configured to send MIDI data!

13. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

After a lot of time and frustration I've concluded that using a volume pedal results in uneven performance except when using it for special effects (for which I still prefer the guitar volume knob). I always use a boost patch or a boost switch within a patch instead, much more consistent if you program your levels right IMHO.