Pod X3 Live + Rectifier: Barely any sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ghostmaker, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

I'm having a problem trying to use my Pod X3 Live in the effects loop on my Mesa Boogie Roadster. This is a new rig so I haven't gotten it to work properly before. I'm hearing a humming noise, and really need to turn my volume very high to just barely hear my playing at all. What little I can hear sounds lightly distorted and with no effects.

On the Roadster:
    The Effects Loop switch for my channel is turned on, and the blue light for Effects Loop on the front panel comes on.
    The Loop System In switch is on and the Send Level is set to noon.
    My guitar is plugged into the Input jack on the front of the Roadster, and the POD is plugged into the Effects Loop with a cable going from Roadster FX Send to the Pod's FX Send, and from the POD FX Return to Roadster FX Return.

On the POD:
    The only "blocks" turned on in the POD's screen are the Loop, Delay, and Reverb blocks, with the effects placed after Loop.
    The Master Volume on the POD is turned all the way up.
    It is set to Stack Power Amp mode, but I have tried the other modes as well in the Output screen.

What is causing my sound to disappear and how do I fix it?

2. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I have that pedal... try alternating the 'amp' and 'line in' on the front. If that doesn't work, there is a little knob on the back (where the jacks are) that controls the output volume.

3. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

The Trim knob? I've just tried tweaking that and the Amp Line and Ground switches, no avail :(

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

ahh personally if this match up doesn't work someone's done you a favour imo.

Why people want to mix Coke into Bollinger I always find strange.
    You've got one of the best high end tube amps ever made and you want to ruin it with a cheap & nasty MFX.
    Even if you only planning to use the POD as an effects unit a Roadster deserves high quality effects and it will probly tone suck your Mesa.
    And if you're gonna use the POD preamps why spend all that $$ on a Mesa :bonk

5. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

I'm not sure I completely understand, but aren't the POD's FX send and FX Return used if you want to put other effects in it's loop? I'd think you'd send the Mesa's FX Send to the input on the POD and then the output of the POD to the Mesa's Return.

6. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

That can't be right. ETA ^ read that. The pod send woudl be outputing sound not recieving it. Go Rd sedn to pod return (since all the effects are after the loop) and pod output to RD return.

7. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

You want to switch how you have this wired.
    You don't want to connect the fx loop of the pod to the fx loop of your amp.
    That won't send signal any where.

If you want the pod in the fx loop of your amp:
    Plug the guitar in to the amp as usual.
    The send from the amp goes to the input of the pod.
    The output of the pod goes to the return of the amp.

If you want the amps preamp in the fx loop of the pod:

Plug the guitar into the pod.
    The send of the pod goes to the amp input.
    The send of the amp goes to the pod return.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  8. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

For now this seems to be the solution for what I needed. Dunno why I didn't think of it before lol. Thanks!

Lol point taken. The POD is actually part of my long-time computer/bedroom setup, it's just temporarily filling in for effects until I decide on a better unit. The Mesa is my first REAL tube amp and I love it!