POD XT Live help wanted!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Anjo, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Anjo

Anjo Member

I'm considering buying a XT live and place in the loop of one of my tube amps for, yes; live use. My plan is to still use the preamp of the amp, and just dedicate the xt as an fx processor, and only use it's delay, reverb, mod fx and such.

My questions are:

- Have anyone tried this setup? It seems it's most people place it in front of amp or in loop and the bypass amp's preamp. Does that mean that my intended setup is not a suitable way of using the xt?

- Is there a switch to bypass the xt? I don't want it in use all the time, and would like the signal to flow through it WITHOUT any coloration. Leads to:

- Does it color the sound, or is it nice and transparent?

Thanks for all help:AOK

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I use it in the loop and, aside from the wah & compressor (FX that really need to be in front, IMO) it works fine.

No way to bypass. The closest you can get without a loooper is a patch with no amp/fx models (that's what I do).

I haven't A/B'ed it but I don't feel like I'm losing much, if anything, with it in my signal chain.

3. HBob

HBob Member

Cool idea! I might have to try that. You don't have a glodal bypass footswitch on it but you could set up a channel to completely bypass all the effects and models. There are a several ways to tweak the tone with graphic EQs and a section of output compensation - so you should be able to tweak it to the point of being very transparent when everything is bypassed.

4. Anjo

Anjo Member

Thanks for useful info!

Anyone registered if the unit itself adds noise by the way?

5. bailnout

bailnout Member

Your first question:
    "- Have anyone tried this setup? It seems it's most people place it in front of amp or in loop and the bypass amp's preamp. Does that mean that my intended setup is not a suitable way of using the xt?"
    I do and with great results. It does sound best going right into a power amp and then a speaker, but I've run mine both in an amp's effects loop AND in front of the amp. All of these setups are definitely suitable for the xt Live. The key things to remember are a) make sure you have the output assignment set correctly (for an amp's effects loop that would be for a power amp input for either a combo or stack, whichever type of amp you are using); b) make sure the pad switch in the input section is set to "PAD" to start off with so you don't whack the input of the xt, then switch it to the "NORMAL" setting if your loop isn't giving it enough signal to work with; c) make sure you have the switch in the output section located next to the left and right output set to "LINE" and adjust the little "LEVEL" knob to a level that is as hot as you can make it before it starts sounding bad.

Your second question:
    "- Is there a switch to bypass the xt?"
    I think this one has been answered sufficiently. Put it in a switchable loop. Because that leads too...

Your third question:
    "- Does it color the sound, or is it nice and transparent?"
    I do think you lose something even with everything turned off on the unit. In all my tweaking so far I haven't found a truly "transparent" setting on it but that could be that I haven't followed my own advice enough when it comes to setting levels. The best thing is to have the loop on the amp be enabled by a switch, preferably MIDI. In my H&K Triamp (God I miss that thing) I had the MIDI module and the loop was assignable via MIDI. I used the PODxt Live as a MIDI controller and could choose whether the patch that I was running included the effects loop or not. That was wonderful because if I just wanted the sound of the amp in a particular patch I could do that and still use the xt Live as my footswitch for the amp. This did, however, reveal the difference between the sound of the POD in the signal chain with nothing on and the sound with it completely out of the chain. I found the POD did suck tone just a little bit, but not enough to keep me from using it with other amps that don't have a switchable loop.

The PODxt Live is many, many things, but it is definitely not all things to all people. For the money you will spend on it, I think you will find it to be a great multi effects unit to put in the loop of your tube amp. It's smart...use the sound of your nice REAL tube amp for the basis of your tone and use the POD as your chorus, delay, reverb, rotary, eq, etc. Then if you ever find yourself in a situation where you don't have your amp but can have the PODxt Live with you, you can plug into just about anything and get a tone you like.

Just last night I was in that very situation. I own a Marshall Jubilee, a Bogner Ecstasy 101b and a CAE OD-100 but couldn't bring any of those amps with me to rehearsal last night. At the rehearsal space I have two Tech 21 Power Engines. I just brought the PODxt Live with 3 cables and my guitar to rehearsal an plugged in stereo to the Power Engines. I didn't miss my high end tube amps at all. Nice to know I have that in my hip pocket if worse comes to worse!

If you would like any more help on this subject you can post them here for all to see but PM me to let me know you posted. I'll help you with anything I've discovered with mine.

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

Oh and on this one: I don't think it adds noise if you are using a proper power supply and are plugged into a well grounded circuit. Of course, almost all of my patches have the gate enabled to help keep any noise that the guitar might make out of my speakers between songs. So that might skew my findings there. ;)

For me it's dead quiet.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I always recommend this baby for modellers. I've never found anything else like it:

www.atomicamps.com

btw, kewlpack at www.thestompbox.net recommends buying a keyboard amp or something that is flat frequency response for modellers. I agree with him that it's the best for sound, but worst for feel. He doesn't say anything about the atomic amp, though, so maybe at his last update he wasn't aware of it.

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

Just curious, do you own one? If so, for how long? A friend of mine works in a music store that started carrying those and the ALL had issues. They dropped the line because every one of them that they sold got returned for one reason or another. They jumped on that line pretty early so they may have just gotten a bad batch or something. Maybe Atomic has worked out their problems since then.

9. Anjo

Anjo Member

Thanks for the excellent info Bailnout!

Getting some secong thoughts on this xt and maybe other modelers with multi fx. Maybe i'm just conservative and hung up on tube amps and the likes. One thing I'm sure of, is that I'm ├╝berafraid of too much of a digital and processed character to the tone. What I'm looking for is a effects unit that will do excellent del, rev, mod and whatever comes along in the unit, that can be programmed, that does not color the original tone and that does not add noise. The new TC floor unit would be great, but I can't afford. I'm in fact considering going for dedicated stomp pedals, and add some true bypass loops if the amount of pedals gets excessive. But I'm getting a bit sick of pedal boards, all the patchcables and power supply for them:confused:

10. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, if you are real picky, you may want to pick up a PODxt Live from Guitar Center and take it for a spin for a week. If you don't like it you can just take it back. For all of their faults, Guitar Center sure has a good return policy.

Bear in mind that I said "for the price" the PODxt Live is a good alternative as a digital time based effects unit for your loop. You can definitly find some better quality units out there if you want to pay more money. You will definitly end up spending more if you buy a separate digital delay, digital reverb and modulation pedals then try to control it all with a loop controler like a GCX Ground Control. But hey, if that's what gets you there, I say spend away. In my book there is no price you can put on YOUR TONE. But it sounds like you might be on a budget. I'm just saying that comparing other things in the same price range I feel you get the most bang for your buck with PODxt Live. For like $50 more you can get the Boss GT-8 which is also good and usable for the type of setup you are going for. Another one is the Vox ToneLab SE. Maybe you should take a look at the Rocktron Replifex and a MIDI pedal to control it. There are so many options out there. It's a matter of taste which one is better than the others. Personally I liked the POD so that's what I got. Plus I figure hundreds (maybe thousands) of pro studio engineers can't all be wrong. Have you actually laid ears on that TC floor unit? I would be interested to know just how much better it is than the POD. I'm sure it is, but is it 3 times better? Because you have to pay three times more for it.

I also know what you mean by being hung up on tube amps. Just because I own one of these moddlers doesn't mean it's my favorite tone in my arsenal. I HAVE to have my tubes as you can see from the amps that I've listed in my earlier post. There used to be a time when I didn't even want to hear it unless it had a tube in it (except of course my stomp boxes). But seriously, the tones in the POD are darn respectable and in a pinch, I would use them on stage if my amp took a dump.

I wish you lived close to Atlanta. I would just let you come over and check mine out.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

About the Atomic,

I tried one once and couldn't believe what I was hearing.

However, I got most of my info from the amps and cabs section of this forum, and I haven't seen anyone complain about technical issues

Why not ask our richer cousins what they think?

12. bailnout

bailnout Member

:BEER

I would have bought one if I didn't hear all the horror stories from my bud who was trying to sell them. He did say they sounded great and that's why they picked up the line. But with all of them having issues I steered clear. I'm real happy with my Tech 21 Power Engines. They were half the price and are just a really usable tool for me. Sometimes when I use them with just the PODxt Live I can't believe what I'm hearing too. Believe it or not I really am a tube snob. I'm just real impressed with with how close Line6 is coming with digital technology and for the money it's real hard to ignore.