Pod XT or Pod XT Live? ( For recording )

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by HBob, Aug 20, 2005.

1. HBob

HBob Member

I just got a Guitar Center gift certificate that will cover the Pod XT. I already have enough guitars, amps and effects and I've been wanting something to get audio signals into my computer for recording. I think the Pod would be great for this. I have been looking at a Mobile Pre USB interface ( $150 ) but the Pod will get the sound in and have a ton of tone shaping options. I would run everything through the Pod - guitar, mics, drum machines etc.

Now I'm wondering if the Pod XT Live might be even better. I could switch sounds on the fly and even run a synth loop or other signal along with the aux input, etc. The only down sides I see are the extra $100 bucks or so out of my pocket and the size of the thing. The Pod sitting on my desk seems more user friendly than the huge floorboard thing. I could use it live but I never play anywhere but at home.

I can also sell my Pod 2.0 ( with gig bag if I get the XT Live ) and recoup $100.

Any other thoughts or anything I'm missing here?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You should seriously consider the M-Audio Black Box first. It includes all the software you need, has a mic input and is designed to do just what you're suggesting. My limited experience with amp modelers (Adrenalinn 2 & Line 6 Duoverb) tells me the Black Box models will sit in a mix better. The Line 6 models always sound too compressed to me. Besides that, the pod doesn't have any line or mic inputs. And the drivers, I don't see if the pod supports asio, a preferred driver for recording.

3. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I made the decision to go with the POD XT Live, and I am pleased. I think the sounds are great and the ease of operation is good. I guess the choice is whether you need the foot pedal - the wah-volume element that the floor board XT has.

4. HBob

HBob Member

Got the XT Live on Saturday and so far I'm very impressed. One of the first things I did was to get all the patches close to the same level. Unreal volume jump on some of these patches! The amout of options on this thing should keep me happy for a long time.

Big Doug - do you record on a Mac with it by any chance?

5. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

No - I record to analog tape - looking to upgrade to a Korg portastudio - I prefer a separate station because my PC is loaded with art stuff. Scott Peterson, one of our moderators, might have some recording experience with the XTL - you might PM him.
    :cool:

6. Design Guy

Design Guy Member

<spam>You should check out the new TonePort UX1 & UX2 then. :)

http://www.line6.com/toneport/

:D

</spam>

D

7. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

I'm getting great results with the POD XT Live for direct home recording. I use it with an MAudio Omnistudio/Cakewalk Sonar rig. I can run Guitarport editor in the background for on the fly tweaks while tracking. It works VERY well. I would recommend getting the Model Packs upgrades for the XTL also. I use the XTL for live work with a tube amp. I have built patches for both environments.

8. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I would have gotten an XTL if it was around when I got my PODxt.

I love the PODxt... one of my most valuable tools for recording modeled and real tube amps!!