POD XT users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am thinking on getting a POD XT for more tonal possibilities. There are a few upgrade plugin packs that seem cool: THe power pak, classic pak and the metal pak.... Any recommendations? Which pak actually deliver the best modelling for recording?

THank you!

Cary:drink

2. gillibi

gillibi Member

I have an XT that I upgraded with the expansion packs. Got the bundle with the Metal Shop, FX, Collector's Classics and also added the BassPOD upgrade. I believe the "Power Pack" is only for GuitarPort users, you already have all of those amps/fx in the XT.

It's worth the $.....makes it extremely versatile. I'd say get the bundle of the 3 and you'd be good.

3. d-b

d-b Member

I couldn't disagree more!

The POD XT is far to light to be effective as a door stop:warning

Works very nice as paper weight or a shim to angle a floor monitor!:banana

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I've been pretty happy with my PodXT when I've been in situations where I've needed to go direct. There is a learning curve with them, but these things can sound really sound once you spend some time learning the ins and outs. Are you planning on using this solely for recording? If so, check out the aforementioned UX series, they get some great sounds as well for less money.

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I had a pod xt for about a month, and I couldn't bond with the amp models. They just didn't feel right to me, and it was very difficult for me to dial out buzzyness or fizzyness from the higher gain models.

I sold it and bought a Vox Tonelab LE. The Pod has way more models, more cabs, more effects, more options with routing effects, etc. But when it came to how the amp models sounded and felt, there was no comparison. The Tonelab sounds and feels GREAT to me and that's why I put up with all of the annoyances and use it both live and for recording.

YMMV

6. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Flash,

Do you take the LE straight to the mixing board or an amp? I too tried the POD XTL for a week and could not dial out the fizzyness (probably lack of know-how). The goal was to eliminate the amp on stage (stage volume issue...).

Thanks,
    Derek

7. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

When I record I go straight into the mixing board using both the amp models and the cab models on the LE. When I play live, I set up patches using the amp models, but I turn off the cab models and plug it into the effects return of my peavey classic 30 and mic it with a shure 57. I've been going back and forth between using that and using my small board o' pedals (buster jangle, abunai 2, keeley rat, psilocybe, dd-20) into the front end of the peavey and I think I like the tonelab into the effects return a little better in terms of basic amp tone! I got the thing primarily to record with and I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well it handles live playing.

I haven't tried going straight to the board in a live situation because the church where I play doesn't have the greatest monitor situation on stage...but I bet it'd work out pretty well if you have decent monitors to hear yourself.

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

If you like the PODxt...the model packs will make you like it that much more...but they will not convert anyone.

9. overlookfran

overlookfran Member

I use a POD XT in my live rig, midi controlled from a GCX/ground control. I use it for all those "special" moments in a set where i need something out of the ordinary (wacked out phase, modulated tremolos, EQ Boosts, whammy, special emulated distortions Rat mods etc...)
    it keeps my rig simple, and since im only tapping into it at sparse (but often) moments, it is invaluable to me to be to keep a full palate of tones throughout a set. sure, i still have fulldrives, dyna comps, and eventide stuff in my rig, the POD is a swiss army knife that i couldnt live without. add an expression pedal that you program, and its simply one cool ass "pedal".

hey, ive seen countless pro acts use racks of them live. If the tones are good enough for Keane (for instance) to use every night. its good enough for me.

10. quickstepperFCC

quickstepperFCC Member

i do too!

(actually, thats me above. new user name :)