Pod Xt ...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gainiac, Sep 6, 2006.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Anyhow,

( I could swear I saw a post about this a couple of weeks ago....I looked and couldn't find it..)

You guys using POD XT and DAW's, what are some of the tricks you're using to get the most tone out of the little red beanie?

Tips, tricks, pointers, revelations etc... would be appreciated it.

I get some reasonable tones out of it, but I find that I need to mangle it up with some pedals in front to get what I like. Then I feed it into my LA-610 into my Lucid then PTLE 002R............

The thing I find the most difficult to get is a nice tight "sparkly/shiny" sounding high end with a lot of color to it........

What are some of the things you do to get it to sound most amplike?

2. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Yikes! (No Love for the Pod!)

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

This is what I do, which works awesome for me:

/13 RSA23 > THD Hotplate > Radial Reamp > PODxt as a cab sim ('no amp' sim; studio mode) > Mbox

4. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Have you upgraded to Version 3.0? The new amp models are the best I've heard yet on my PodXT, and I have all model packs installed. The Marshall 1974X is killer clean, and so is the Dumble model. I like the Vox Fawn AC30 too.

I think eq and drive settings are not realistic on the podxt, and have to be exaggerated to sound good. Try kicking everything up a notch--it improves the clarity and punchiness tremendously.

The PodXT is ok for noodling, but I use Guitar Rig 2 for recording. It's magnitudes better than any other modeler...if only they'd build a portable unit....

5. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Thanks Gents....It seems to be the consensus amongst quite a few people that POD's are very lacking versus the "real deal" and are only good for rudimentary results at best.

Frankly, I find myself spending quite a bit of time tweaking just to get a usuable sound (to my ears) I'd rather be tweaking with microphones in front of a good amp.

When I have the scratch together I'm going to pick up one of those Demeter Isolation cabinets for home studio use.

I have some really good sounding amps and guitars and some decent mic's.

I have a hard time justifying the necessity of plugging into the little red beanie for recording.

This home studio stuff sure costs a pretty penny to get up and running though!

10K easy!

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I had a pod pro rack model a couple years back. IMO, this is a terrible piece of kit, useless in my experience. I kept my Boss GT-3 because it is 3 times as good for getting useable direct tracks, and I can also use the 4 cable technique to use a real tube preamp and power section in conjunction with the GT-3 and its effects section.