POD XTL arrived 8 sept 2005 .......POD XTL sent back 8 sept 2005 !!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

what an un -userfriendly piece of junk , sorry but thats how i found it to be :mad:

i got impatient waiting for my peavey 6505 head to arrive as it has been delayed considerably , i thought the POD XT Live might prove a worthy addition to my simple but high performing rig, how wrong could I be :eek:

The bloody instructions are half an inch thick fergawdssake, turn this , set that, change the other ....just a nightmare !!

The fiery and hellacious tones from the hellcat were reduced to icy cold and passionless, where my R9 straight into my hellcat and cornford 2x2 can almost make tears well up in my eyes, putting the XT Live in front of the hellcat or thru its loop just put tears of frustration and disappointment as to how toneless i found it to be.

if ever i needed proof that you cant beat the real thing, i got it today, ill just wait it out until my peavey 6505 head arrives, for high volume gigging , I know thats what will satisfy me:dude

POD xt LIVE BOUGHT AND RETURNED IN THE SAME DAY.....digital fx, dammit you can keep them !!

:mad: jimmy:( ,

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

It sure as heck isn't plug & play, especially with the lousy presets but the are some good and very good tones to be had.

Whether they're worth the effort it takes to find 'em is gonna vary from person to person.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

alec, the instructions are a nightmare, a 13 yr old kid would prob sail thru em, im 35 and i dont feel embarrassed to admit, i simply hadnt a notion what i was doing bro, pluging straight into a hellcat is laughably easy but tonal nirvana is right at your fingertips, the pod is just an excercise in frustration, plus, all that el84 warmth just evaporated into steely coldness, lesson to learn: analogue effects always !!

jimmy

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

So your biggest criticism is that a moron can't use it?

5. aleclee

Jimmy,

I know all about the XTL, its manual, and user interface. I own one and am 38. :) I hope you at least gave the deep editing software a shot before packing it in.

There are some tones that are really hard to dial in. I'm not at all satisfied with the Dumble-esque patches I've created. The Robben Ford patches I've downloaded aren't any better. Like any real amp, modelers tend to be better at some things than others. They're definitely harder to dial in--largely because of the tweakability.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of parameter tweaking. That's a big reason why I don't use rack FX. I tolerate it in the case of the XTL because the utility it provides makes it worthwhile. Your experience is different but that's a personal value decision, as most gear choices tend to be.

6. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I would NEVER even consider using the XTL as just an effects processor into a tube amp...what's the point? You "can" use it for that, but if you're using it for FX only, there are much better options available to you...the XTL's standard modulation effects are barely passable IMO (delays, reverbs and some of the filters are good tho...). I can only see using the XTL IN PLACE OF an amp. What the XTL "can" be used for and what it should be used for are two different things, IMO. If you're going to use it with a real amp, the only way I think it does well is DIRECTLY into the fx return so you're just using the amp's power stage and the XTL is the preamp/fx processor. But I personally have had the best results when running the thing directly into the board. When doing that, you have to keep in mind that you're not gonna get that blow-your-pants-off feel...what you'll get is pretty darn good tone (for what it is) in the mix. In fact...and this is a bit funny...the BEST I've ever heard the XTL sound is when I'm running the thing directly into an old crappy home stereo system that I have lying around (a 100-watt Sansui amp/receiver into a pair of KLH 2-way speakers with 8" cones)! It's really odd, but I get some great tones out of it! And of course, the XTL's a no-brainer for laying down some quick tracks. ALSO, editing is FUN if you download the L6 Edit software.

I've never owned any L6 gear before, and I found the editing to be intuitive and very simple. The "thick" manual you refer to isn't really that thick...most of the manual is dedicated to DESCRIBING the different amp tones, effects, etc, rather than to programming. The thickest programming part is the MIDI section, which I don't use and it doesn't sound like you would have either. You should have given it more time...the XTL is a great TOOL for other things than what you had intended it for.

7. aleclee

Different strokes for different folks. That's actually the primary application of my XTL. :eek:

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

a "moron" , youll last long here, i dont think.

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

It works for what it is in my case, but I don't feel any need to defend that.

But, well, I am 38 too. I found it pretty easy to get into; but that is my only point of disagreement with you. If you had tried the edit on the computer, you'd have found it a tremendously easy thing to manage.

It all comes down to taste in the end, and if we all liked the same thing, well, that'd suck.

Peace.

10. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Different strokes...well, you're right about that! I definitely find the XTL be too much of a tone-sucker on its own to be used with a toneful amp (i.e. the reason I'd be using any particular amp is for its tone, which the XTL would take away from). Even if it wasn't a sucker...I dunno...like I said, the delays and reverbs are good (I particularly like the verbs) and some of the filters are cool, I just think the modulation fx really miss the mark. Aside from the trem and the analog chorus, I think they sound overly digital. The phaser is way too much...there's no middle ground with that thing, and with the flangers, you can't get a good solid sweep without modulating the crap out of your guitar tone (as in you can't get the sweep without also getting that 80's way over-chorused tone). And, you can't combine trem with any other mod...which I do all the time with pedals. Bottom line, while I could get some decent "amp-tones" to tape with the XTL, when I've built what I think are some pretty good fx presets and then play with my pedals (which are NOT boo-teek, save my FD2), I am sorely disappointed. NO comparison...all opinions, of course!

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

scott

it said in the manual press the dest button to select 2x12 or 4x12 etc but all i could get was the dest function selected, the thing wouldnt go up to what was above it at all , how do you edit with it using the computer ? could you program it easier that way ? im not great with computers, im a plug it in and play sorta dude, all this foolin around just gives me a headache.

the instructions make finding the options for selecting 2x12 or 4x12 etc sound easy but ill be darned if i could even find em mate :confused: would it be less of a minefield for me to do patch creation etc using the pc ? are there any good links to simplify the overall use of the XTL ?

12. theelectic

theelectic Guest

IMHO the XTL isn't for you. It's a tweakers delight, especially if you have a Variax to go with it... but if you just want to plug in and find a good tone quickly, you've already got your best options man :) It's easier to do with a PC but the tweaking still has to be done.

13. raz

raz Member

Why, are you thinking it might confuse you, too?

R
    A
    Z

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

This says it all doesn't it? I'm in the same boat as you. I know what I like and I don't want to have to tweak two dozen knobs or have a job as a computer programmer to use an amp. Some people enjoy the tweaking. More power to them. It's not my ride.

I get overly ambitious every now and then when something new like this comes out and give it a try. I'm always immediately reminded that I don't need the ability to instantly get sounds from every musical genre of the last 50 years. I don't need to play over a bunch of loops and I don't need to get my guitar to sound like a jet taking off or robots ****ing.

I always end up back to a simple tube amp where having a mid's control is a luxury. Throw in a good OD pedal, and maybe one or two more effects for when I'm feeling crazy.

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I'll agree - the XTL is NOT a plug-and-play unit. It is a tweaker's box.

You just load the software from the CDR, plug it in with the USB cable, and then tweak on the screen. It really isn't hard.

But the XTL is indeed made for tweaking. The patches it comes with are horrible.

Just my opinion.