Podcast with Marc Ribot

aram

Check out the outsideguitar.com podcast with Marc Ribot. Just out today:

http://www.outsideguitar.com/podcast.html

"In this podcast guitarist Aram Bajakian ( Lou Reed, Diana Krall, John Zorn) talks to Marc Ribot.

During the course of his career, Ribot has worked as a sideman with an impressive lineup of artists, most notably as the sound smith behind many of Tom Waits' classic recordings. In addition to the dozens of albums he's played on on John Zorn's Tzadik label, he's also worked with Elvis Costello, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Marianne Faithful, Mike Patton, The Lounge Lizards and Diana Krall.

His own groups are equally as diverse, from a project that plays the compositions of Cuban composer Arsenio Rodriquez (Marc Ribot y los Cubanos Postizos) to his noise-rock group Ceramic Dog with drummer Ches Smith and bassist Shahzad Ismaily. Ribot's solo records, Saints and Silent Movies, are easily some of the most beautiful out there.

In this episode Aram asks Marc questions from outsideguitar.com subscribers, which lead to discussions of how to break away from blues cliches when improvising, to Ornette Coleman, to how to keep your cool when performing in front of large (or small) audiences, as well as many other subjects."

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you for posting this.
I really appreciated Marc's thoughts on using scalar knowledge in the context of motifs. Really making music instead of just running scales over and over.

aram

Thank you for posting this.
I really appreciated Marc's thoughts on using scalar knowledge in the context of motifs. Really making music instead of just running scales over and over.

Yeah it's GREAT! Happy you enjoyed it! Did you check out the Paul Rigby one as well?

Thinsocks

Great interview! I'm a big Ribot fan. And while I can't claim to have read (or heard) every Ribot interview of the last dozen years, I think I've probably read most of them. And what made your interview great was that he actually answered some questions that other interviewers can't seem to get him to answer, especially all the stuff about what he use to practice, how he approaches playing on a tune, etc. His typical answer to those questions is often more abstract or he just brushes it off and tells the interviewer that people get to wrapped up in that stuff. I'm guessing your friendship with Marc made him open up more.

jeff_lebowski

Honestly i appreciated the human element of eating the sardines and rice with the hot sauce. It helped put a picture in my brain of your surroundings. It could have been totally off but it made my imagination work and i appreciated the interview more.

aram

Thanks everyone. Happy to hear you dug it! Be sure to check out the Paul Rigby podcast as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom