PodXT - how is it used?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimmybcool, Jan 1, 2006.

1. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

HI, sorry if this is a beginner 101 type question.

I have a modeling amp here that I am having a ball with. But soon I go to myu second home in Thailand. Over there equipment is scarcer and more expeinsive. But I would like to be able to get some additional sounds.

I have a Marshall AVT20 amp and Parker Nitefly guitar and nothing else. I am thinking the Pod might be the ticket. But nowhere is there a diagram for how it is used and they constantly refer to recording as its purpose.

What I want is a bunch of effects in a single box that can run between the guitar and amp. Is that what a Pod does? Is this the best choice for my needs? I also want it to be compact since I don't check luggage.

Thanks

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey. I own a bass podxt live, which I personally love. Here's a pic of the guitar version:

[​IMG]

It can run into the input of your amp, though they recommend running it through your fx loop (I plug bass -> BOD XTL input and XTL output -> return jack of fx loop) or a mixer, because with these settings the amp models on the POD aren't being colored by the preamp of your AVT

However, it isn't exactly compact, especially if you transport it in it's original bulky box. They do sell a PodXT Live gig bag, but it's overpriced IMO (about 70 USD)

You can shut off the amp modelling on the PODXT Live if you so desire (to be used purely as an effects board for plugging into the input of your amp, like you want), but I love the ability to choose between different amps.

For the record, I believe I've heard from some people that the effects in the boss GT-8 are superior.
    [​IMG]

What I would recommend for great effects, optional amp modelling (though not as good as the line 6), and a nice, small compact size: get a zoom g2 or g2.1u (same as g2 but with an expression pedal). Excellent effects for a fraction of the price of the line 6!

zoom g2:
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g2/index.php
    [​IMG]
    g2.1u
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/index.php
    [​IMG]

They also just came out with something called the G7.1ut, though I know nothing about it. I'd imagine it's like a G2 but with more features. Though if you're getting one of these, you may as well go with the tried and true PODxt Live or boss GT-8:
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g71ut/index.php
    [​IMG]

3. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I assume you mean PodXT. You can turn off the amp/cab simulation and use the PodXT as a multi-fx unit between your guitar and amp. It has some very nice modulation, delay, and reverb effects built-in.

One problem with this setup (guitar->PodXT->amp) is that adding distortion after delay/reverb usually sounds bad. So you will probably want to keep the amp set clean, and use the PodXT's built-in distortion/OD/fuzz, or use a stompbox before the PodXT for dirty tones.

4. jimmybcool

Thanks guys.

Yes, I want to leave the amp on clean (mostly) and have an external box give me the different modes.

I have to admit Moe I am not clear on the connection.

I understand the

guitar -> PodXT -> amp input

And doing this mt preamp will interfere with the amp modeling. I don't get how the actual connection should be done.

I think I need to spend an afternoon in my local giant guitarr store. My local dealer doesn't carry this kind of stuff anyway so I need to stop in the Guitar Center (gasp).

Oh, and thanks for the alternative brands. I will the Zoom out also.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Here's the big question:

Do you want to use different amp models (with or without effects), or will you just run the AVT's quite good soundign clean channel with effects running into it (i.e. no amp modelling)?

if you only want effects, the zoom is a no brainer. It's compact, cheap, and sounds quite good. You'll be happy with it and since you're not using amp modelling, you would want to go guitar -> zoom -> amp input

If you want (good) amp modelling as well, check out this excellent article by kewlpack on multi-fx units to help you decide which one you want.
    http://www.thestompbox.net/Home/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21

Finally, I assume the AVT20 has an fx loop in the back of the amp. Let's say you decide you want the line 6. What you would do is go Guitar -> pod xt live -> return jack of your fx loop. To clarify, there should be two jacks on the back of your amp that say fx loop. one says "send" and the other says "return". Plug the pod into the return jack. Don't forget to make sure the switch on the back of the pod is set to "line"! What this does is bypass the preamp of your AVT, just using the speakers of your amp and minimizing the "flavor" that your amp would give your signal.

The downside of buying one of the 5 units in the article is that, again, they are not compact and I don't know how successful you'd be taking it with you on the plane as a carry-on. The zoom would easily fit into a backpack.

Hope that cleared up a few things.

6. jimmybcool

Well, I might have a small problem.

I don't have my amp here and am not positive which one I bought. I went to the Marshall website and downloaded a manual.

The AVT50 has the FX send and return on the back as you describe. The AVT20 which is what I think I have has nothing on the back. On the front the jacks are:

input
    CD
    DI
    Headphones
    Ext LS

I need to read that aarticel you sent me to and consider chekcing luggage. I might have to anyway now as a "friend" informed me he is sending me a giant box of golf tees to bring with me to Thailand.

7. jimmybcool

GT

But will I be able to emulate some of the tones of amps of yore via pedals? I could see that in front of a nice tube amp but I'm not sure I'll get what I want in front of the Marshall Valvetech amp.

I need to listen to some stuff side by each. Didn't have time today.

8. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

The CD Inputs will function like an effects return. All you have to do is get some 1/4 female -> RCA male adaptors. You can then plug your modeler into those.

9. jrm

jrm Member

I have a podxt (bean) that I use extensively. Currently I use it in front of my Mesa single Rec as an effects processor. IT colors the sound a bit so it definitely isn't transparent, but I generally turn the amp sims off and jsut use different presetes I have set up with effects. Very usable, very easy. Let me know if you have any questions.