POG 2 or Micro Pog?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dave12, Jan 26, 2012.

Which one?

1. Keep the POG 2

2. Go for the Micro POG

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

Ok, so I've had my POG 2 for almost 2 years now. I really do like it, but I find myself using the octave up and octave down features the most. I don't generally use the organ sound unless I'm just messing around at home, and I don't really use the filter effect by itself much (I just got an ep booster for boost/eq).

I'm considering selling and getting a Micro Pog which will get me there with the octave up/down. Also, I'll have some extra cash in hand which will be nice as I just bought a Morgan Dual 40 and could use the cash.

On the other hand, I really am attached to the POG 2, and I hate getting rid of pedals with the thought of just buying them back again.

Will downgrading to the Micro POG do it for me, or will I miss the POG 2?

Any discussion will be helpful for me at least sorting my thoughts out on this.

Also, previous/current POG owners' help is especially appreciated.

2. Chandler

Chandler Member

I was in the same situation and I traded in the Pog2 for the Micro Pog. But I have other pedals I use togther with it when I need a keyboard tone. A flanger or Vibe for leslie tones and an envelope filter.

3. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

keep it! you'll miss the presets.

4. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I say keep it... But for size...the micro is certainly better.

5. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I sold my Pog2 a few months ago and haven't really missed it. I have a variety of other pedals that can create similar effects. Even if they aren't exactly like the space, they fit the music I play just as well.

6. dave12

Oh, I should add those:

-The real estate is a plus for the Micro Pog

-Presets is a plus for the POG 2

7. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

The POG sound can get really annoying and cheesy if it's overused, and I couldn't justify spending a bunch more $$ and board space for something I wanted to use sparingly. Micro POG for me.

8. Chance

Chance Member

I would say keep the pog2 only if you use the presets.. I would get rid of mine if I didn't have around 3 presets I use often and sometimes have to switch between all 3 in a show depending on our song list.

9. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Supporting Member

I had both. Sold both. Now will have to buy a POG2 this year. I miss it. It is not a bread and butter pedal but it is a lot of color in a box!

10. thesooze

thesooze Member

I use the POG2 for swells, shimmer, dedicated chorus, tone shaping, presets. None of that is possible with the MicroPog... So I voted POG2.

It really comes down to what you are going to use. If you just need octave up/down/dry... there's your answer.

11. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I'd say it all comes down the sounds/tones you are gonna use. If you don't use anything other than up/down -- then go Micro. But, the POG2 does SOOO much more.

I own the POG, Micro POG, & POG2. I use the big POG with bass and liked the micro for 8 string/oct down effects & usually kept both on my board at the same time. POG2 I bought for guitar b/c of all the crazy sounds you can get. And, in my honest opinion -- they all sound very different of each other. Yeah, you can tune 'em close to each other - but it's almost like they all 3 have their own cool vibe. I suggest you test-drive a Micro POG before you sell your POG2....

12. thesooze

thesooze Member

:agree 100%

13. Futureadvocate

Futureadvocate Member

Well the straightforward +1/-1 octaves on the Micro POG sound superior in their tracking.If you are into Johnny Marr style arpeggios then it's for you.
    I've had both side by side and it's not possible to get the POG2 to sound like the Micro POG.

Keep in mind that the Micro POG is buffered.

14. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I voted MicroPOG only because I want to trade up for a POG2... :D

15. thesooze

thesooze Member

This is true.

I've also played both side by side and it seems you cannot get the clarity of the MicroPog with the POG2. I'm not sure, but it seems that the EQ section of the POG2 is always active, so you have to set it to make it brighter/darker. I tried to tweak the POG2 with only the octave up and down and dry activated to sound like the MicroPog and couldn't get that crisp clarity. There's definitely a color to the tone in the POG2, but it's a color I don't mind with all the extra features I get.

16. Trashbag_Travis

Trashbag_Travis Member

i have had all three and i agree they all do sound different. You can make them sound somewhat similar but they are not identical. My favorite is the original POG, followed by the POG2 then the micro. The original just works best with my fuzz pedals, the buffer is great, and it sounds so much more powerful compared to the others. The pog2 is great for the presets and you can do SO MUCH with that pedal, but it doesn't do the sound of the original pog, and it is true bypass which can be good, but the buffer on the original is awesome. The micro was a cool little pedal, but the buffer in mine squashed the sound of my fuzz faces.

17. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Looks like I'm not crazy for owning all 3!!!! Viva la POG, Micro POG, & POG2!!

18. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

play with some of the other settings on the POG2. people focus on the organ sounds, but it's so much more than that and octave up/down. my newest favorite setting is to have the swell on the dry signal, nothing else. pair that up with a fuzz and a delay and you have some great tones for some almost "reverse delay" sounds.

keep it. you'll regret it someday.

19. dave12

Well, I think this has convinced me to try the two side by side. I'll let you know what I think.

20. Futureadvocate

Futureadvocate Member

That's exactly what i didn't like about it.You have to max out the top end on the EQ so you can hear the +1 octave properly.This just made it sound nasty.And the tracking isn't as good either.

I think they are very different pedals.The common perception out there is that the Micro POG is a cheaper no frills version of the POG2 and by having the POG2 you are simply getting all of the features of the Micro plus a variety of other stuff.
    I would advise anyone that is considering buying one of these units to seriously consider what they want out of an octave pedal and which unit is more suitable to their style of playing.